ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE, 2007 Daytona 675

Engine Oil Gauge

I purchased a brand new 250r SE earlier this week from a dealership. And after putting nearly 20 miles on it. I have run into some problems with the bike shutting off when trying to get out of first, and I am not stalling the bike. The engine just sputters and then dies. I am also giving it full throttle and it still just sputters. This has happened on about 2-4 occasions already. But I do not run into any problems if I have the choke cracked open a little. I have not done any mods what so ever to the bike since I received it.

I cannot figure out what the problem is, but when I looked at my engine oil gauge, I can see completely through it, but I see a little bit of oil at the bottom.
Anyone have any ideas what may be the cause of the problems? And also can anyone do me a big favor a take a picture of their engine oil gauge, so I can see how it should look with oil it in.
gophurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Look at the last pic in the DIY Oil change thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10780

and there is a pic of what the oil level should look like. The bike needs to be straight up and down and on a level surface to be reasonably accurate, can't be leaning over on the sidestand.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #3
kkim

if your oil level checks out good, how long are you warming up the bike before starting off to ride?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

This one is not from our bikes but the principal is the same....

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
gophurr
ninjette.org member

I just looked at my oil gauge and it appears to be completely empty. I currently have the bike on both front and rear stands.

I am warming up the bike for roughly 5-10 minutes. And I had the same problem after going on a 10-15 minute ride to a buddy's house to pick something up. And I had the bike running while I was at his house too which was about 5 minutes or so.

I am starting to think that I got screwed over by the dealership, and they did not properly prep the bike the way they should have before they delivered it to me. But would the lack of engine oil cause my bike to sputter and die out?

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #6
kkim

is the choke all the way off after you warm up the bike?

yes, you should see oil in the window when the bike is vertical. Try seeing if oil appears in the window when the bike is vertical without stands, with the tires on the ground. If not, keep pulling the bike over towards the right side and see if oil starts to appear in the window. That way, if it does, you'll know you're only down by a little but instead of not having any oil at all.

Could it be that the oil is so clean it appears like there is nothing in the window?

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #7
gophurr
ninjette.org member

I either turn the choke off after warming up the bike or else I open it up a little and shut it off after a block or two.

As for the oil being so clean. I opened up the oil cap to look inside but didn't seen and kind of liquid in there. I can only see oil inside if I tilt the bike to the far right side. But if it is on the kickstand, and in the upright position I still do not see any oil.

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8
kkim

You might want to call your dealer at this point (ask to speak to the service or sales manager) and see what they say. Further futzing around by you at this point may give them cause to try and blame you for a lack of oil, if it is indeed the case. The oil is filled at the factory and I highly doubt the dealer checks that as part of their pre sales inspection, though they should.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Ahh, If the bike is standing upright and I don't see any oil, do you think I should try adding a little bit more oil?

Would the oil make a big enough difference to make the bike sputter? Because the oil is really just to keep all the internals of the bike lubricated. So could there be something else that is causing the problem?

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #10
kkim

first things first... call the dealer and let them know what you are experiencing. At that point if they tell you to add oil, then add oil.

If your bike has NO oil, for some reason, there is a possibility of engine damage at this point. Filling the oil now, by you, would give the dealer cause to say that there was oil in there to begin with it was you who caused the problem, somehow, and try not to cover it under warranty.

Get the dealer involved at this point just in case there is warranty work due to no oil in the crankcase.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #11
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I will definitely call the dealership and see whats up. And see if I can get them to check it out.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #12
kkim

last thing you want is to ride the bike there is it has no oil. just talk with them, see what they recommend and let us know what they say before you do anything. They may say to just fill it up w/ oil, but you want them to be the ones to tell you that to cover yourself for warranty work, if needed. Like I said, be sure to discuss this with the sales or service manager.

Old June 11th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #13
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Just an update. I called my dealership but then found out that the sales manager that sold me the bike was actually off today, so I spoke with someone from the service department. But the guy that I spoke with said that they have a separate department that deals with brand new bikes before they go out.

Anyways, the guy that I spoke with said that it was unusual for there to be a lack of oil showing up in the gauge, and told me to double check everything on the owner's manual and to get a hold of my sales rep and have them come pick up the bike so that they can check it out.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice.

Old June 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #14
kkim

Let us know what happens.

Old June 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #15
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Update: I got the dealership to come and pick the bike up so that they can take it back for inspection. Still have no idea what the problem was.

But I will update again when I hear back from the dealership.