ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 26th, 2022, 08:23 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Bad gas even with Sta-bul ?

Hi guys ! My Ninja has taken a back seat because of the work on my brand new bike.... I'm replacing the rear monoshock spring for a lighter one so I'll get a softer ride... the stock one beats me to death !
anyway I fired up the ninja and moved it out of the shop so I could put the RX4 in there and work on it... the ninja started easily ran on both cylinders
but even after running it for about 5 minutes it seems to be taking the throttle very slowly ...not as fast as I remember it used to rev like by any means
maybe it was just very cold, i dunno but slow reving is a new thing on this beast..... it acted like it was freshly started after a cold as hell night but even after 5 minutes it was still like that.... still slow.... and I'm trying to figure that out !
Yes it has been sitting for the last 3 months and only started and ran for a few minutes once a month or so....
the Triumph refused to start... about 3 weeks ago so I cleaned the pilot jets and it fired up 1st kick ! ..... and that bothers me because to me that sounds like the ninja needs a carb cleaning again !
....I think I put sta-bul in every bike and sloshed it around then ran them long enough for the stuff to get to the carbs on all of them.... but we all know how that goes half the time the stuff ya buy don't work at all !
.... the RX4 starts fantastically ( it should it's new!)
and so does the TT250 (it's also new)
but the triumph and the ninja are showing signs of crap in the carbs...
their also older and may have varnish buildup inside the carbs.... ( the triumph has new carbs on it though )
.... makes me think as gas ages it clumps up.... in clumps big enough to plug the tiny idle jets in the triumph....
and if that's the case the ninja's carbs need to come off AGAIN !
Any thoughts ?
besides get off your butt and ride those bikes Bob !!! LOL (they need it)

Bob.....

Old April 26th, 2022, 08:29 AM   #2
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

It all sounds like normal issues when bikes sit that long with modern gas in them. Run it through and put new gas in. If that doesn't fix it, pull the carbs and try again.

I won't give you grief for not riding. Now that I'm back to two bikes I find myself playing the same catch-up game you're describing. I need to get back down to a single bike.

Old April 26th, 2022, 11:29 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I run ethanol-free in all my cycles, and add Sta-Bil before storage.

Draining the float bowls, when and if you can, is a good idea if it's going to sit a while.

I've had ethanol-free gas with Sta-bil be useable after more than a year if it's in a closed container.

Gas with ethanol doesn't last nearly as long when treated.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2022, 01:29 PM   #4
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372380

see posts 4 & 5
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2022, 02:18 PM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL I figured you guys had an answer for this...that's why I asked...
and yes my bike sounds just like his... running on both and it takes the choke without dieing but it revs slow like that ! which ain't right !
I think I'll change my tactics for winter from now on.... and do what Ducattiman does ! that will also mean pulling the batterys and putting them in the shop for periodic charging but I think the condensation issue alone is worth that
so no starting them every month anymore .... as that isn't working very good...
better to drain the carbs and pull the battery as these bikes will set for 5 months at a time...we have long winters at this altitude !
also not mentioned before is I try to top off the gas tanks on every one of them because a long set like that will invite rust in the tank but it won't rust if theirs gas in it !
a major concern on the Triumph as there are visible spots of rust in it's tank
thank you all !
Bob.....

Old April 26th, 2022, 02:30 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
It all sounds like normal issues when bikes sit that long with modern gas in them. Run it through and put new gas in. If that doesn't fix it, pull the carbs and try again.

I won't give you grief for not riding. Now that I'm back to two bikes I find myself playing the same catch-up game you're describing. I need to get back down to a single bike.
I hear ya Drew ! that's what I was planning on doing but I have alot of old gas now that is probably half proof now ! hahahaha ! so I may syphon it all out and throw it in the Honda CRV instead ! LOL and get some fresh stuff for the bikes !
I really like having a collection of bikes to ride but I'm not riding them near enough.... and it shows ....it's hard on them ! so maybe reducing down to 2 would be better ! .....
but I've yet to get a 2 stroke dirt bike ! that is what I want for playing in the dirt.... I want a Yamaha 400cc 2 stroke ! the one that was licenses able ...back in the 1980's !
.... gott'a think long and hard for me to reduce my bikes again ! LOL
Bob.......

Old April 26th, 2022, 07:38 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
When you put in Sta-bil, you can't just slosh it around. You have to run bike for about 5-min to use up petrol that's untreated in bowls. So it will draw in fresh petrol with Sta-bil in it. Also for 3-months, might be good idea to drain float bowls.

I've tried all above and still had carb issues in spring. Last winter, I pulled carbs completely. Vacuum-packed them in plastic bags and stored them inside.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2022, 12:39 AM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I run ethanol-free in all my cycles, and add Sta-Bil before storage.

Draining the float bowls, when and if you can, is a good idea if it's going to sit a while.

I've had ethanol-free gas with Sta-bil be useable after more than a year if it's in a closed container.

Gas with ethanol doesn't last nearly as long when treated.
Humm I don't know if I can get ethanol free gas around here.... california has gone nuts with it.... you used to be able to find it at certain gas stations but that is something in short supply in my little town....
I'll certainly keep it in mind ! thanks for the tip.
Bob.....

Old April 27th, 2022, 05:51 AM   #9
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
When you put in Sta-bil, you can't just slosh it around. You have to run bike for about 5-min to use up petrol that's untreated in bowls. So it will draw in fresh petrol with Sta-bil in it. Also for 3-months, might be good idea to drain float bowls.

I've tried all above and still had carb issues in spring. Last winter, I pulled carbs completely. Vacuum-packed them in plastic bags and stored them inside.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372380

see post #4 & 5
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 27th, 2022, 06:15 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Humm I don't know if I can get ethanol free gas around here.... california has gone nuts with it.... you used to be able to find it at certain gas stations but that is something in short supply in my little town....
I'll certainly keep it in mind ! thanks for the tip.
Bob.....
Sta-Bil has a couple products that are designed to protect the fuel system from damage from ethanol fuel -

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/st...60-protection/

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine/

I might be temped to use it if I couldn't get ethanol-free gas.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote