ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 7th, 2023, 09:33 AM   #41
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok ! I got the carb back on it the hoses sorted and the clamps on the carb boots on there good... the one on the air cleaner side did not want to fit on very good... it has shrunk with age and drying out... am I the only one that spreys the rubber boots on everything
with WD-40 ? that stops them from shrinking and getting hard ! sprey the boots guys !
....I turned on the gas and watched the new in line fuel filter fill then the flow stopped abruptly...like it should as the float turned off the flow...
I turned on the key pulled the choke and hit the starter and it fired right up ....
I let off the choke and it died... it's 40degrees out there so it needed the choke a bit longer than a few seconds ! .... pulled the choke and hit the starter and it fired right up even faster .... both times it started without doing the pop turn through pop turn through thing it had been doing... this time it turned through the first time about 2 times then fired and it was running ! the second time it didn't make a full revolution and it fired right up .... so evedently the battery is charged up better than the first time LOL
I let it warm up for about 1 minute ( not very long at all) and turned the thumb screw idle air screw I put in there and opened it up a bit and it sped up a little and then stopped gaining RPM so I quit there.... that's good enough till she is good and warm
seemed to work great it took throttle even being cold like it was but I didn't push my luck doing that ! HEHEHEH !
Next I'll put on the new rack I got for it.... I bought some handle bar risers for it while I bought the foot pegs and I haven't put them on yet I want to ride it a few times to get a feel for it.... actually I may not need them ! but I think I will standing on the pegs !
I like to froze my fingers off out there putting the carb back on.... but I have to admit it sure was easier than putting the carbs on the Ninja ! HAHAHA!
....My sparkplugs finally came for the Ninja too.... so maybe I'll get that thing running again some time soon !
I gott'a remember to charge the Triumphs battery too..... and put another cover on it as her bottom is hanging out in the breeze !..... cheap cycle covers don't last !
later all !
Bob.......

Old April 7th, 2023, 09:44 AM   #42
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

All that cold you're talking about reminds me of my old Oxford heated grips. Those were worth the $60 I spent on them; it's great riding with warm fingers. It sounds like you will have just about the perfect bike for the mountains and trails Bob, wrap it up and get us some pics of that XR and Shasta!

Old April 8th, 2023, 09:41 AM   #43
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Hummm.... well I got the back Rack on the bike along with the side crash guards.... however I have a 10mm end wrench that has gone AWOL !
I looked all over for it haven't seen hide nore hair of the little jewel ...
I am wondering if some how it slid under the seat as I was buttoning it up....
for decades I have been setting my tools on the bike.... that is a bad habbit to get into but it is also a really hard habbit to brake ! put them anywhere but on the bike ! on the ground even but not on the bike as those tools pieces of the bike or what ever it is can and will fall into the innards of the bike ! and you do not want that at all....
so in spite of my efforts to put everything on the bar b q out there some things inevitably get set on the bike.... usually they immediately slide off to the ground at the first bump on the bike....
so I am thinking that that little wrench slid into the airbox before the seat went back on....

but the back rack looks good and seems very strong.... and I probably added as much weight as I took off the engine a month ago... but what the heck !
HAHAHAHAH !
I want to take it for a ride today but I dunno if I will... I'm tired only slept for about 2 hours last night ...

Bob......

Old April 9th, 2023, 05:12 PM   #44
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I found my Wrench ! it was in the pouch I took off so I could repair it....
shoe-goo to the rescue ! and I backed it up with a piece of shop rag ! LOL
I just came back a bit ago from a ride on that beast .... all I gott'a say is WOW ! that certainly is not like the XR650L I had years ago.... this thing goes !
had it up to 70mph but it was turning fairly tight with the 13T sprocket on the front.... so I backed it back to 65mph and just cruised along !
.... it acts like it is 150lbs on the highway a car goes by and the wind made me swerve !!!!! VERY TWITCHY !
of course that could be the bald knobby on the front doing most of that
( I have a Shinko 244 coming for it.) but when a 18 wheeler passes you going the other way you better be on your toes.... they can blow you all the way off the road if your not careful !!!
....I barried the throttle leaving the pavement after slowing to a crawl and the front wheel came up about 8" and away I went....shifted into 2nd and threw dirt all over till I let up !
I played around on the dirt road for a bit getting the feel of the old girl
and I have to admit that thing can haul butt !
.... I did notice that the rear brake was way too tight it didn't flex at all when hitting the rear brake.... so I loosened the thing up a bit when I got home
the front brake works REALLY WELL.... enough that you only need a single finger on it ! ...
the ride was supprisingly smooth.... it's got soft suspension the way I have it and I like that..... the front will most likely dive when I hit both brakes hard though so I'll have to adjust that I'm sure....
.... I went about 3~4 miles down the road to a dirt road of to the right that goes for a long way.... I didn't go far though I turned around about 1000' down it as there was target practice going on and a few other cars down there. there was a large dip and bump in the road so I blasted through it
so see how she handled it .... it was like are you really going to ride me ya dummy..... like she wanted more ! but I tried to explain "I'm not used to you yet O'l Girl.... "
handle bars are too low... I have to bend to stand on the pegs... that will not do !!! ....
I tried to put on the 2" handle bar rizers that I had bought for her but I got the wrong size..... turns out these are for 1" fat bars not 7/8" bars
the pins are too big to fit in the bar clamps...
I may try to center them on the 4 jaw chuck in the lathe and trim them down
myself but that will be after I get the Ninja running and out of the shop !
I pulled the sparkplug after it cooled down at home.... and unfortunately it is still a bit lean.... I need to whittle down the Main jet a bit more I think...
and I noticed a slight hesitation when grabbing a handful of throttle
it does it almost every time .... ....
I also tried to adjust the fuel air screw and it really had no effect....
I went in with it and it started slowing down and started back out and it gained a few RPM but not much and then would not go any faster... and it did not slow down again.....meaning it is too small RIGHT ?.
so I am thinking the pilot jet might be a tad small..... no surprise sense the stock main jet definitely is !
but it is burning a grey.... not white but grey and I want it darker than that ...as it is a air cooled machine and it needs the fuel to cool it down.
I did not dump the clutch to pop a wheelie because I know without doing that it will wheelie easily if I use the clutch.... I want it to wheelie at the twist of the throttle.... I got a small wheelie out of it a few times.... on the dirt though it just spins ! 5 speeds....kind'a a let down after the RX4's 6 speeds
but it is old school technology ! LOL
I think long trips on that bike would be brutal.... you'ed be fighting to keep it on the road in the wind....tires might help that, but tires can only do so much..... it's a relitively light bike and the wind will push you around on a light bike ! and.... yes I took out too much foam on the seat... it's hard as a rock actually....... hardly any cushion there at all !
but I can touch the GROUND !!!!
so for her maiden voyage I am quite pleased..... I want to get that pause out of the acceleration..... it shouldn't do that (if it was perfect)
not real sure where to start on that though.... I'll think on it a while
every bike I've ever owned had a pause like that under hard acceleration
so in that respect it's normal.... but I understand NOW it shouldn't do that !
LOL

Bob.......

Old April 10th, 2023, 02:46 AM   #45
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE !!!!
Bob......

Old April 11th, 2023, 11:45 AM   #46
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Hay ! I figured out a way to lower the XR650L more.....
the lowering link I got for it and that is installed right now is supposed to lower it 1" to 2" some reports have said it will lower it 3" but I am not sure that is safe to do giving that there would only be a few threads in the nut of the connecting link.... when I set it up I was careful to screw in each side by 5 turns.... giving each side 5 threads of holding power....
.... So I just went to the hardware store and bought 4 cans of High heat black
some bird seed and I got to thinking a big long nut could be welded on to one side of that turnbuckle to extend it's reach so I bought a big nut that connects threaded rod together.... I think I got the right size not sure on that at all...
I was totally guessing it may be too big but I have to take the link out to check
if it is the right size for the threads I can simply weld the nut to the correct end of the turnbuckle nut that has both left handed and right handed threads in it
to extend the lowering link more....
this should give that lowering link a 2" longer throw which is way more than I want but should work to get the bike to a comfortable height. it only needs to come down about 1/2" to 3/4" to make me very happy..... i may well have to cut down the side stand once again, if I do this LOL
if I stretch I can place both feet flat on the ground in my boots....
but normal setting I am usually just touching with the balls of my feet
the main reason for this is my feet are not directly under the bike and they are spread out for stability. so a bit lower would be more convenient
.... I have a gut feeling the nut I bought is too big but we shall see.....
(they have smaller ones so all I gott'a do is go back there and pick one up)
....I had the forethought to buy this particular lowering link in the hopes I could figure out an easy way to make it lower more... because all the links I saw for sale only lowered the bike 2" this one looked like the easiest to modify ! LOL
2" addition to that link would probably equate to 6" or 8" of drop of that I have no doubt .... because we are talking about angles and percentages here
not a straight correlation of inch per inch !
Bob........

Old April 12th, 2023, 11:40 AM   #47
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well, My idea was dashed because the nut I bought was way too big...it'll wait till later anyway.....
here's a pic of the bike as she stands.... I have a front tire and a digital dash coming.... ( i want a tachometer on this bike bad! ) so there is alot more to do on her but for the most part she be done....
You'll notice most of the stickers on the bike are gone now although I didn't clean off the glue yet.... and the staples in the seat couldn't be helped with 9/16" staples being the only staples I had ! LOL ahhh close enough I bent the sharp ends over and called it good enough HAHAHA
Bob.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ready to go 02.jpg (148.3 KB, 5 views)

Old April 12th, 2023, 11:59 AM   #48
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

You stapled the outside of the pan?? Do you like surprises?

Old April 12th, 2023, 12:00 PM   #49
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I want to figure out a way to anchor the front half of the seat.... right now there is nothing holding it down and it can flop around quite a bit....
the Clark after market bigger gas tank does have a bolt insert right in the center of where the seat SHOULD be anchored down at.... so I was thinking
just poke a hole in the seat and use a large washer and bolt the thing down
I dunno yet.....
the bike definately has a stumble on acceleration, maybe that is because it's cold 99% of the time when I start it.... she is cold blooded like the Ninja and will not start without the choke when it's cold.
the stumble feels lean to me when the bike is warm it is diminished alot but it is still present ..... I think I will buy the next bigger pilot jet size... what ever that is( a 50 is in it) and a 155 main jet and wait till they come in.... then pull the carb again....
the carb has a 150 main jet in it that I have reamed out a small amount
but obviously not near far enough so I figured sense I need a pilot jet anyway I just as well get a bigger main jet as well and know what I got in there ! I got away with re drilling out jets on the ranch years ago and I am sure I could now as well.... after all it is just a hole ! but I want to know the size of it in there .... I may at some point have to go even richer
next TO DO is check the valve lash.... .005 exhaust and .004 intake
is what they should be..... we shall see....
Bob.........

Old April 12th, 2023, 12:09 PM   #50
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL Drew ! Um NO I stapled the cover to the inside of the plastic pan... but I used 9/16" staples (your supposed to use 1/4") and they stuck all the way through to the outside.... and yes that would wake you up quickly !!!!!
so I bent the staples over and crushed them back down ....it looks funky but it will hold.... I only had that trouble on the low spot of the seat on both sides
...I managed to bend the long staples in the front over without them poking through.... probably what I should have done on the sides too but I was getting sick of playing with the seat by then !
Bob.......

Old April 13th, 2023, 02:24 PM   #51
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well, I didn't get to the valve lash today.....instead I tackled putting on a new front tire.... and it fought me all the way even using all my tricks !
I set the tire and rim on a trash can, and soaked the outside by the bead with soapy water and it still was a bitch to get off there ! .... it's a 21" tire it should be real easy to get on and off the bead but no-sir ! it was pry it all off in short spaces....
I took my time and was in no hurry and I believe I took the old tire off and put the new tire on without pinching the tube even once ! so that is a victory !
i put about 40 psi in it and then let it out to 24psi. that may be too hard for the dirt but we'll see....
2 things came today, the shinko 244 tire and the Samdo spedo/tachometer
that thing may well have been a waste of money but I got it for $54.00
so I grabbed it... it will be a royal P.I.T.A. to install it I am sure but if it works like I hope it will I will be very happy..... I miss not having a tach on that bike.... however the spedo on the new dash thing only has one default tire size.... which is 1.8meters in cir. and I have no idea how far off my spedo will be off because of that I was under the impression that I could select from a list of tire sizes.... and I still might be able to but the instructions didn't mention a list in the things funtions so I dunno....
it came with instructions and 3 pictures but to say their instructions is a joke
it's like plug it in to 12v and you'll figure it out ! and I suppose that is how I'll do it ! HAHAHAHHA !
having that dash /spedo on the bike should make a big difference in appeal to me..... I like bells and whistles.....and this thing has a bunch of them
it was surprising to me how much I liked the RX4 because of it's dash that thing was cool.... (half of it's funtions were useless but they were there!)
this dash has a water tempiture gauge too but I will hook that up to a head bolt for head tempiture ! it also has a fuel gauge but I have no sending unit in the gas tank so that is a useless thing and about 6 other funtions that I'll never use.... like gear selection you have to have a bike that tells the gauge what gear you are in.... I think all I have is a neutral indicator ! LOL
it only got to 50 deg. today so all my work on the tire was chilly ...
I got up at 4:30am this morning so I may well go take a nap ...I'm pooped !
HAHAHHA
So I can now ride that beast without fear of having to drive back with a flat front tire ! ....(at least that is how it is supposed to work !!!!)
Later !
Bob.........

Old April 14th, 2023, 02:22 PM   #52
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

ok... I finally got the valves checked.... their right on I didn't have to touch them....
I then took off the seat so I could figure out a way to anchor the front part of the seat... I didn't like it flopping around.
so I drilled a hole through the seat and put a big hanging washer on a bolt and screwed it down.... it's ugly but it does hold the front of the seat to the gas tank like it should be.
drilling that hole was the tricky part...not knowing where to drill it or having a way to mark it... so I found a 1/4x28 bolt that would screw into the spot and cut the head of the bolt off and sharpened the threaded part to a point so it would scratch the plastic on the seat pan... I bolted the seat down and added some weight to the seat and then moved the front of the seat back and forth to scratch the seat pan.... that would line up that mark with the hidden bolt on the tank.... I then just centered a hole in the seat pan and drilled through the seat all the way through.... I then had to make a bolt that would fit that.... so I spent an hour continuing a thread on a longer bolt that I could cut down to fit the application.... I had to cut it down 2 times to get it right....then I put it on and everything fit...it needs a fancy button or something there instead of the washer that I concaved with a hammer.
as it is ugly as sin !..... but it does work ! it holds the seat flush to the tank now like it should.
the new tire I put on yesterday is still up and holding air...so I must have done something right ! LOL
by the time I was done with that My back was Killing me so I called it quits and came inside to sit down ! getting old sux !
Bob......

Old April 23rd, 2023, 04:44 PM   #53
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok I made some real accomplishments on the XR650L today....
yesterday I finally turned down the aluminum 2" handle bar risers so they would fit the handle bar brackets on the bike they were 1 1/8" ( what ever they are for tapered handlebars) and the 7/8" of the bike just didn't fit !
so I chucked them up in the Logan 922 lathe and carefully cut them down
to match the calipers.... with that done I loosened the handle bars and got them out of the way and put the risers on....
now the handle bars sit below shoulder height and up where they should be in my opinion. it feels much better !
I also put the Quad-lock phone mount on the handle bars
something else I would like to do to the bike is put on a front fork stabilizer
from "NiceCNC" and mount the front fender on it. that front fender looks ugly way up there I think ... and it needs to be lowered to just on top of the tire...
...and I want to paint it camouflage green and tan I think that will look cool !
and next to do is putting on the Samdo spedo /tach dash thingie.... I have a feeling that will be a major hassle !
Bob.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230423_164855.jpg (220.2 KB, 1 views)

Old April 26th, 2023, 09:13 PM   #54
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well, I painted all the white on the bike RED.... so her name is Big red.....for now !
I am in the proccess of making a bracket to hang the Samdo speedometer/tack Dash thingie on it.... I made one bracket already but I am not happy with it as it wound up being off center to the left by at least 1".... I have more 1/8" alum. plate so I'll just make a correct one.....
once the bracket is done then the hard part comes.... wiring the thing so everything works ! that may take weeks ! but it should fit well where the old speedo sets.
and that should give me a tachometer too !.....
then I will play with trying to paint a good camouflage paint job on the bike....
I gott'a do alot of practicing first though....
Bob....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Red01.jpg (140.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Big Red02.jpg (172.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Big Red03.jpg (167.6 KB, 2 views)

Old April 27th, 2023, 06:00 PM   #55
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

working on getting the Samdo Speedometer on the XR650L today.... I made a bracket for it yesterday but it was slightly off center, so today I made a better one that is right on center.... so that's done....
now it's just wiring it up..... AURGH ! volt meter and test leads and figuring out the plastic plugs is next..... it's 85 degrees here today and the apple trees are getting their leaves now .... it is definitely spring time here finally !
Bob....

Old April 28th, 2023, 05:46 PM   #56
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Bob, don't you ever want to do double-jumps or bomb downhillls? Pre-bottoming-out suspension just seems to defeat purpose of bike! Here's how to deal with tall bikes:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2023, 06:36 PM   #57
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Not really Danno ! if I do, I bottom it out anyway.... it is more important to me
to be able to touch the ground good with both feet than to worry about bottoming out the bike on a jump.... In the Past I'ed probably leave the seat at 34" instead of 37"(stock height) because I did do a bunch of hard riding
but now that I am 70 yrs of age I don't see me leaving the ground for more than a foot ! .... back then...30 foot would be the max but not any more...
Jac when your Older your balance goes, your strength goes and you become a chicken-shi# because IF you fall it takes months to heal, not just a few days
it's simply not worth it now !.... just popping small wheelies is a wild thing for me any more ! LOL and that doesn't even mention the constant pain.... we must have a change in weather coming because I hurt all over today !
add that to a motorcycle and I understand why so many Older guys just say good by to the sport.....
I've watched those videos several times before and I now almost always use her way of mounting the bike.... step on the peg first then swing the leg over
.... I never did that before.... that is hard to do though if you have a bunch of stuff strapped to the back you have to do the "itchy-boots" method of mounting !
Bob......

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2023, 12:06 AM   #58
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I did get the speedo and tachometer to work today.... but I don't have the turn signals or neutral light hooked up yet.... so those are next and then I will button it up and ride it !
.... it was almost 90 degrees here today.... I think it's going to give spring a miss and go straight into summer ! SIGH !
oh well it's better than all the cold we were having !
Bob....