ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 8th, 2023, 03:38 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Getting the herd up to snuff...after winter.

I know winter isn't quite over yet, but we've had a few days in the 50 deg range here so that's saying alot for the long cold winter we've had...
I decided to fire up the bikes and get them running again as it's been 3 solid months (almost 4 months) of them just sitting....
I did put a generous amount of Sta-Bul 360 in each bike before they were parked....and made sure they were ran enough to get into the carbs...
then they were just parked no trickle chargers or anything ...just parked
Well, I went out the other day and took the cover off the RX4 (EFI 450cc China bike)... hit the starter and it didn't even click the starter sylinoid ! the dash did light up like normal though....
so I pulled the battery and charged it, then put it on 2 amps for 3 days
then put it back in the bike and it fired up before a full revolution ! and purred like a kitten....
....so today I tackled the TT250 (250cc chineese bike) and I haven't ran it much sense I put on the larger carb on it.... but after I turned on the choke and gas and kicked it 2 or 3 times it fired up and ran great !
(I did turn off the gas when I parked it and ran the bike till it ran out of gas)
but for the Triumph I haven't messed with it yet... the battery will be taken out and charged sense the RX4 was dead and then I will clean the pilot jets in the carbs for good measure... they are super tiny and plug up real easy
on this bike so I will just do that 5 minute job before I try to Kick start it
that 750cc engine is hard enough to start it doesn't need any excuses to defeat me ! LOL....
the Ninja 250 has been in the shop for the duration of the winter and it is still 3/4 apart from doing the valve lash job on it... I had Gordon do the carbs on it and he said he found some problems so I am real glad I sent them to him.... But I still need to finish putting that thing back together and button it all back up.... and I am not looking forward to that at all... but it is going to happen soon as I want it running good for spring ! and I will need to adjust the fuel/air screws and do a synchronization of the carbs... just to be sure everything is top notch....as I am not sure Gordon could set the syncro on the carbs off the engine.... he might be able to he is very talented ! LOL
our Apple trees are beginning to get buds for the leaves already... so spring is just around the corner ! and I want to be riding by the time the trees are in blossom ! HAHAHAHA!
Bob....

Old February 8th, 2023, 04:20 PM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Near 50f here today as well. On my 900 I reassembled exhaust using brackets I previously fabbed, welded up and painted. On my 800 I bled both front and rear brakes. Ordered online 4 Ducati oil filters, and charged all 3 batteries (removed and stored indoors in my basement shop area) within my spring prep efforts. I'm ready to *go* sometime in March when weather makes a warmer turn.

#comeonspringdammit

Addressing your question Bob....I've found my bench synch efforts quite accurate when double checking/confirming using my mercury manometer on bikes with carbs done in my presence.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2023, 08:43 PM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ahh ! good deal then I will probably not even bother checking them because I'ed have to buy more hose ...I stole some for other projects ! LOL
.... I am thinking about putting in a bypass for the thermostat while I have the bike all apart....as well....
Thanks Gordon !
Bob.......

Old February 9th, 2023, 02:25 PM   #4
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Bob-
comes to mind I was able to retain factory synch settings....see attached pic of yours, note factory yellow paint on synch screw and spring...through very careful reassembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bk15.jpg (137.5 KB, 8 views)

Old February 9th, 2023, 03:29 PM   #5
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
Bob-
comes to mind I was able to retain factory synch settings....see attached pic of yours, note factory yellow paint on synch screw and spring...through very careful reassembly.
Intentional hijack here: how often do you find that a dirty old set of carbs actually need to be sync'd when nobody has messed with the sync screw? I've always assumed that if the sync hasn't been messed with, I have no reason to.

This comes from a former mechanic friend of mine who said "everybody wants us to sync their carbs and none of them ever need it!" His point being they were just dirty, but people hear the word "sync" and think "I want that".

Old February 9th, 2023, 04:50 PM   #6
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
@thedrewski86

I'll go on record with this answer....a visual check/confirmation of the throttle plates opening/closing together, using certain fixed references is ALWAYS mandatory prior to wrapping a refurb up.
As shown in Bob's carb photo....the yellow factory paint "seal" remaining undisturbed (even after the set is split) is not always an automatic but again, awaits visual confirmation to assure that synch is, in fact, perfect.

Whenever the synch screw is disturbed (for splitting/disassembly purposes) a reset matching the open/close synch is (of course) a no brainer.

Without fail, every set which I do is visually inspected/adjusted as necessary prior to wrap-up, a part of my service.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:34 PM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I really don't think it's very many on most bikes Drew ! except on bikes like the Honda 305 scrambler that bike vibrated so bad you couldn't sit on it !
it went out of sync on it's own in a month.... I have a Uni-Syn that I bought at
the start of my Home business back then and I set that bike's sync about once or twice a month for years.... they would NOT stay synced....
but that was the only bike of the 70+ bikes that I've owned in the past that had that problem... (of course I didn't own the 305 scrambler , that was my brother-in laws Monster ! ).... i never had a problem with the CB450cc Honda
the CB500cc Honda 4, the W1 Kawasaki 650cc, the XS 650 Yamaha, or the Triumph 750.... if you don't mess with that screw they don't move and stay in sync for a really long time....
I agree that Sync problem are caused by guys fiddling around and causing the problem themselves..... although some of the twins I had had no provisions for syncing except the throttle cables and those needed to be CHECKED frequently....but even those stayed put after you set them I had a Yamaha 125cc twin that had that kind of syncing scheme.... but if you get it right on it stayed there. even on our 2 miles of dirt road.... and I wasnt kind to any bike back then !
So I think it's a fair assessment to say "Check it but leave it alone if you can"
although I expect the 1977 Triumph to need checking as it has cable Synching..... it's just not something that needs to be checked every week
I noticed the yellow on the carbs before I sent them and I was delighted to see that paint unbroken when they returned.... that is careful attention to detail there Gordon ! Your a good man !
today I will attempt to get the carbs back on the ninja and prepare for the starting of it .... I have most of the bike back together now....
I decided not to add a bypass to the thermostat ,,,yet. might later if I can make up some "T" 's
Bob.......

Old February 9th, 2023, 10:24 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, I managed to get the carbs on.... without much of a problem
25 years ago I would have had them on hooked up and running in 30 minutes
as it is it's taken me about 6 hrs to get this far ! Aurgh ! getting old suks !
.... I still have to hook up all the lines and throttle and choke cable yet though
I had a hell of a time getting the clamps on the boots on there right there is no room for my small hands ! how guys do it with big hands has to be with long needle nose to hold it and then the screw driver to tighten it...as i finally resorted to doing ! HAHAHA !
I did wind up taking off the leftcarb boot off the block to get the carbs in there
....after I did that they went right in there with alot of WD 40 on everything so slick it up.... and they popped right on.... one advantage of being so little room is that there are many places that you can pry from against the frame to help ease them on the boots.... all in all it went rather quickly after I stopped fighting stuff and used my head ! I just moved the air box back to it's max
as I didn't notice it had crept forward again.... got it back and then I had room
I put the carbs on the airbox boots and then put in the carb boot on the left side (facing the correct way) and then put the carbs on the cylinder boots... which popped them off the air box.... no biggy I'll get them next I thought...
got the carb boots all connected and clamped down and then turned my attention to the airbox boots.... I simply pried against the battery box and battery and moved the Air box up and they reluctantly went on... after I got those clamps tight I put the battery box back and the bracket for the airbox back in place....
so it went like clock work actually ....I just had to move the airbox back again and then the carbs went right in.... who would have thought it would have sprung back like that ! .... but the carbs wouldn't fit in there till I did that ! .... kind'a weird ! ( I guess the wires and connections moved it over time as it's been Months in this project! )....
Man there is just so little room in there to get stuff hooked up you need good light and long nose needle nose plyers and a bit of luck to work on that thing ! HAHAAH !
Next is the hookup.... I'll study the vacuum lines real good and get them right beyond a shadow of doubt ! and then put the gas tank on it and put coolant in it and then try starting it.... it may take me a few days to get that far but she's coming back to life slowly ! .....

Taking the fairings off I noticed I have a leaking front fork seal..... I need to get to that some time this summer I think along with replacing the brake fluid ! ....

Bob......

Old February 11th, 2023, 06:04 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Hummm....
Well I got the 250 Ninja running again but something is amiss.....
it doesn't want to take throttle very well and at about 4,000~5,000 RPM's it flat tops and won't go any higher in RPM it also is missing when it does that....
..... I'm thinking that I may have a vacuum line plugged in wrong as it sounds lean
....Now granted I have NOT adjusted the idle air screws (fuel air idle adjust screws at the bottom of the carb's ) yet and no doubt I should do that next.... but I just wanted to hear it run again and make sure the tappits were sounding correct after my valve adjustment... (they were noisy at first but soon quieted down nicely.)
it feels like carbs to me ! but I have alot of faith in Gordons work and suspect it is something else .... like maybe vacuum lines plugged in wrong....that is about ALL it could be... that and adjusting the fuel air screws.... though I have never encountered
fuel air screws effecting the general run of an engine before but these carbs are very finicky.... it might on these !!! I did get a bit of carb overflow off the left carb but I tapped the bowl with a wrench and it finally stopped.... they sat dry for a long time
so I think that cured itself ...
I did get it to Rev to 9,000 RPM's a few times after it warmed up but it won't hold a high RPM it dropped down in RPM to about 6,000 RPM and it sounded terrible missing and as though it was fighting itself..... like it was lean.... i found that if I let it idle a few seconds and then grabbed the throttle it zoomed up in RPM's great but if I crept up in RPM's slowly it would only go as far as 5,000 RPM's and then level out and not go any faster..... which is weird I've never encountered that behavior before....
I tried putting it on PRI to make sure it was getting gas .... and that didn't change a thing.....I thought at first it had but I let it idle for a short time while I did that... gave it the gas and it grabbed the R's great try to go that 3 or 4 times in a row and it levels off at 4,000 RPM ~5,000 RPM.....
I'll adjust the fuel air screws next and get them right I can tell they do need adjusting
in fact that may well be all that is wrong with it.... LOL
if anyone see's an obvious problem here....( besides me doing it LOL) please speak up
as I am confused !
Bob......

Old February 11th, 2023, 07:05 PM   #10
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
DEF double/triple check all vacuum connections. Installation went ok? They are fully plugged into their inlet rubbers? Airbox fully attached? Cables ok/operational? Including choke cable? Dammit. Frankly, they should have bolted on and immediately ran acceptably.

Old February 11th, 2023, 07:22 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

OK that is totally BAZARR !
I opened up the airscrew on the right side and the RPM at idle picked up a little tried to go more with it but I couldn't tell if the screw driver tip was in the slot of the screw or not
so I have no idea where the screws are at now.... but it is taking throttle alot better
I changed screw drivers in an attempt to feel the screw but that is a joke.... it starts and idles fine....choke works ( didn't need it this time as it was still luke warm) and it takes throttle fairly well but still feels lean on the very high RPM's.... I think I will play with them till I can get it running perfect....
....in all my years I have never seen the fuel air screw effect the top end running of the engine...TILL NOW ! this thing does ! if the air screws are set to factory spects which is too lean....it will not rev higher than 5 grand..... I opened them up about 1/2 turn and it started idling a bit faster..... and then it took throttle all the way to 9 grand with out hesitation.........
it's still not right as I need to kill cyl #1 and adjust Cyl #2 and then kill cyl 2 and adj Cyl 1..... then it will be correct
it's disheartening that my fancy dancy 90 degree screw driver isn't working very good
doing this though... and I'm not sure why....YET I got it especially for the Ninja as well as a set of stubby screwdrivers.... nothing works ! and I am trying to remember how I adjusted them last time LOL....
I am blown away at what I've found.... the engine would not rev past 5 grand untill I opened up the fuel air screws..... that is not in the books guys ! but that is what I found..... so next time someone cleans their carbs and sets the air screws to factory specks.... tell them to adjust the air screws for fastest idle FIRST !!!!!
I would have said there is no way the F/A adjustment would effect anything over 3 grand RPM.... but that does NOT seem to be the case with these carbs !
Obviously there is always some interaction through the pilot circuit and main jets
as the engine runs so you cannot say it gets all it's fuel from the main's at high RPM's
but evidently it gets alot more than I ever expected......
once again the Ninja takes this o'l boy to school ! HA !
Bob......

Old February 11th, 2023, 07:38 PM   #12
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

It doesn't look like I did anything wrong putting it back together ....I don't have the airfilter in the air box yet though....
but it looks like it is just the air screw adjustment .... she's taking throttle real good now.... I stopped to take a break as I have been puttering on it all day
making doubly sure it's correct.....
it doesn't apear to be anything you did Gordon.... it's ME !!!!
when I shut it off last time it was idling fantastically on both cylinders
and took throttle up to 9k RPM with out a hitch .... so I think it is just that the factory settings are too lean on the air screw weird !
.. I am just dumbfounded that the fuel airscrew actually made that much difference in the Running....as they are not supposed to effect the running at top end..... but they certainly do on a stock setup.....
knowing Kawasaki, they put out the California model so lean with the stock jets.... that it does effect the top end ..... but I have Never seen that before in all my years !
Don't fret.... I'm still playing with it. I want it perfect and sense you did the carbs I know they are not a problem. the only thing I had to do is install them and adjust the F/A Screws..... and I'm having a bit of trouble doing just that ! HAHAHAHAHA
Bob.......

Old February 11th, 2023, 07:50 PM   #13
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Hay....I won't hurt the Electronic ignition if I run it with one coil disconnected will I ?
i don't want to fry that expensive little box !
.... but that seems to be the easiest way to kill a cylinder on this beastie just un-plug the power to the coil.... because ya can't get to the plug to pull it out with the gas tank on it ! AURGH !!!! (they should have added a hole through the gas tank so you could get them out without dismantling 75% of the bike just to change the spark plugs ! )
Bob.......

Old February 12th, 2023, 04:39 PM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, it reverted back to the flat topping at 5~6 grand after I adjusted the fuel air screws.... which I did by pulling one wire off the coil oppisit of the side I was adjusting and idling it on one cylinder....
it went well, although the air screw didn't seem to change it much but it did change it a little I could tell it sped up a small amount.
..... so now I am thinking that changing it back to it's Stock form was the wrong thing to do...... so I PM'ed Gordon and we'll take it from there
I can't blame him for my own stupid mistake ! he did exactly what I wanted !....and did a superb job at that !
Now I gott'a change the jets and I bet you dollars to donuts it will run like a top..... it's just way too lean at the moment, not even a Hint of smoke !
.... as a side note ...My Kid thinks it's the electronic ignition... LOL
and I say NO way ! it wasn't touched ... no it's carburation.... i have no doubts..... I just hope Gordon knows what size of jets were in it originally
if not I'll just take a wild guess !
Bob......

Old February 14th, 2023, 08:11 AM   #15
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok well after 2 days of searching and trying to find ANY vacuum leak I have a theory..... that I screwed up on the timing.... I went by the book...
I made a big mistake that I will never do again and that is not taking a picture
of the cams on 2T but I didn't !
after watching the videos dozens of times here on the site on how to check and adjust the valves on the 2012 I came up with what I think is the answer....
the book says to align the lines of the cams ex and in to the surface of the head.... that is technically WRONG because if you do that the marks in the middle of the cams that point toward each other are miss-aligned
you must align the ex mark with the head and the center 2 marks and the in mark on the right side will be slightly below the surface of the head.
.... I didn't do that.... I did what the book said, and it does not run right !
and I am almost certain that is why.... the in on the intake cam is level with the cam..... so it is one tooth off on the intake cam according to the video
he took a heck of alot more care than I did doing mine.... and I think he is right ..... so the manual is wrong....
I just came back in from freezing my butt off in the shop working on it and I have it where the valve cover is just about ready to come off.... and I will be able to tell what is what....
I will let you know what I find....
I dug in and hung with it for about 2 hrs. and the valve cover and plugs on the side to see the timing marks are all that is left...
and yes you can't feel the lever on the ratchet when your fingers are numb
( and that is with the heater going full blast !)
so next is seeing what the timing is at... and setting it correctly by removing the bearing caps again.... although I will pull the cam chain tensioner and see if I can move the intake cam one tooth down....first I might be able to pull that off.... I hope so.... just walk the slack chain over the cam one tooth ! ...put the cam chain tensioner back in and turn it a few times and find 2T again...and see if the cams are like in the video ....
if so I will put it back together and try it.
Don't make my mistake ! take a bloody picture ! a close one !
Bob.........

Old February 14th, 2023, 08:56 AM   #16
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
personally, I use a white paint pen to prominently mark belts, cams, crank, all pertinent markings in position on both Ducatis PRIOR to any removal attempts.

Well seen marks are then on display....offers a no brainer on reassembly.

Ducati? Yup, but doesn't matter....same concept.

Old February 14th, 2023, 09:03 AM   #17
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

I may not be all caught up on this thread, but I seem to remember you saying that the timing marks looked slightly off relative to the surface of the head. Seems like your hunch about being off a tooth is warranted. What a bummer.
Honestly, I was really considering doing a 300 swap on my pre-gen, but I like my adjustable valves That, and I've come to the conclusion that I can easily override the suspension with this old 250 mill! More power on this little bike would put it in a ditch

Old February 14th, 2023, 09:28 AM   #18
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah we'll see, I seem to recall saying that Drew.... or maybe it was from that video I watch so many times.... but I did not go by the inner marks on both cams.... those are the important ones not the outside marks and I think I remember them being off a bit.....
regardless I'm into it deep again !
Gordon I never owned a paint pen in my life ! HAHAHA I use a scribe or black felt pit pen.... but I did neither initially.... and I could kick myself in the butt for that ! I thought no problem I'll just assemble it like the book says
....but it looks like the book is lacking in information on this subject....
I Should'a taken a picture !!!
Bob......

Old February 14th, 2023, 10:47 AM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

ok here's what I found..... everything about the timing gooks great !
here's some Pics...
Bob.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninja cams 01.jpg (67.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ninja cams 02 .jpg (66.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ninja cams 03.jpg (77.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ninja cams 04.jpg (65.6 KB, 0 views)

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; February 16th, 2023 at 08:16 AM.
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2023, 11:31 AM   #20
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

that darn camara in the phone always puts everything on it's side durn it !
anyway... the timing looks great on 2T the marks all look like they should be
even the intake side looks down slightly like it should be....it's impossable to even see yet alone take a picture of.... the exhaust side is right on the head mark.... (no I didn't remove the gasket)
so now I'm thinking I did all that for nothing....
WTF !?!?!

it's gott'a be the carbs !
maybe they got plugged some how....I dunno !!!
I mean I Really do not know..... makes no sense at all.
anyone have any suggestions as to why the thing will rev up to 9grand but not hold it and it falls back to 5 grand and runs like it's lean ?
.... sounds like an air leak to me but I can't find it !
Bob....

Old February 14th, 2023, 07:09 PM   #21
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I've seen this same symptoms several times here..... and unfortunately
it's always carburetors.
and because there's nothing wrong with the timing and nothing seems to be wrong with the vacuum lines.... that looks to be the case here as well.
it feels like the main jets are plugged !
I'll put it back together and then pop the carbs off and take the bowls off
and see what's up with the main jets !....
Bob.......

Old February 14th, 2023, 07:11 PM   #22
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Do you have a good inline fuel filter installed?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2023, 02:26 AM   #23
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yes... absolutely ! after my gas tank lining fiasco, I keep a close eye on it as well and have a box of new filters to replace it with. it looks clean and flows fine.
Bob.......

Old February 16th, 2023, 08:40 AM   #24
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, I double checked the timing and have got the valve cover back on now sense it was spot on.... now I'll pull the carbs... my money now is on plugged main jets or emulsifier tubes. if they look good I will dive deeper.
one of my Cats decided to Pee on my cell phone ! and I took it apart took out the battery and rinced it off in the kitchen sink and let it dry for about 8 hours sitting on top of the wood pellet stove where it is warm...not hot.....
but I put the battery back in and nothing...i plugged in the charger.... nothing it will not turn on..... so it looks like my cat or cats cost me $200 bucks ! Grrrrr.
I guess laying it flat on the bar to charge it is a bad idea ! "Sigh"
....my wife said she heard it twerp and make a few sounds so she looked at it and noticed it was wet.....and then called me !
......one thing about Cats they don't always use their MANY litter boxes and getting after them only makes them scared of you !.....not much you can do about it but keep everything you don't want Pissed on out of reach !
....some times I think it is REVENGE ! I swatted one cat earlier that day because she played too hard and drew blood on my hand..... those claws are sharp and so are her teeth.... she never does that,. But she did that time and I just reacted and she looked pissed off at me for a few days !....I think I've made it up to her but good grief ! Dogs are more forgiving ! HAHAHAHAHA !
Bob......

Old February 16th, 2023, 02:03 PM   #25
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

The cats pissed in your carbs.

problem solved

Old February 16th, 2023, 02:33 PM   #26
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL if they could have they probably would have but they were in a plastic bag all the time till they were put on !!! HAHAHAHA
I didn't even take them out of the bag to take the bowls off them and look... I just let them sit on the work bench till i was ready to put them in.....
i have that much faith in Gordon's work.
evidentially the first amount of gas I put in it was real dirty.... maybe from the hose being on the floor for a month or so I don't know.... I did shake the gas out of it (that is the piece with the fuel inline filter in it and the filter still had gas in it so it should have been very clean after shaking the gas out) and then I put on the carbs and hooked it to the gas tank... maybe a spider crawled up in there and died and hung on for dear life and didn't fall out when I shook it.
HA!.... I don't see how but it IS possible !
Now I am trying to get My Kids Phone to work...I swapped the sim card and am trying to log in to stuff... phones are definitely not my thing !
Bob.......

Old February 16th, 2023, 02:48 PM   #27
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
LOL if they could have they probably would have but they were in a plastic bag all the time till they were put on !!! HAHAHAHA
You keep your cat in a plastic bag?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2023, 03:10 PM   #28
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

no,no,no ! the carbs were in the plastic bag.....not the cats..... though that is an idea !
I came home a bit ago with the 2023 tags for the Triumph ! so I can at least ride that one ! .....even if I can't get the Ninja to run right....
I'll figure it out eventually !
I doubt seriously if I will ever figure out the cats though ! seems like if you don't want them to do something that is the first thing they do !
just like a 3 year old kid ! then they look so surprised when you fuss at them !
with my Kid's help we got that phone to work just fine
we simply switched the sim card and logged into My google account and everything is working.... ( I called the wife to be sure and it Works!)
for the amount I use the silly thing that's close enough !
....now I gott'a find a charger for it..... if it's not one thing it's another !
HAHAHAHA
Bob....

Old March 2nd, 2023, 03:52 PM   #29
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, some good news ! I sold the 2021 CSC RX4 for $4k and watched it being driven away in the back of a 4x4 pickup.... so it's gone, Miss Piggy is no more!
I'm kind'a sad to see her go but not much she was just too heavy for me to ride and feel comfortable doing.... I need a WR250 or something like that...
I'm not in a hurry as the Kid told me to ride her bike ! so I said I was going to !
I have the triumph 750 and 2012 Ninja 250 so I am not bike less ....
but maybe I can find another lighter bike to play with like a 2 stroke trials bike maybe eh ?
I'm in the middle of re-wiring the pellet stove right now... I had everything working fine then I changed one thing and now only one thing works ! ...it's like WTF ???? so I took a break and came in to the computer !
....I need to get that stove going today because I am using a whopping 3 bags of wood pellets a day in the stupid wood stove as a back up to the pellet stove
that is very expensive ! at over $6.00 a bag !
if the pellet stove was working correctly it would only be 1.5 bags...
....But.... we are warm and not freezing !
....So it can't be all bad ! HAHAHAHA
Bob......

Old March 3rd, 2023, 08:31 AM   #30
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Good news on the sale, that's the best feeling. Now you have two perfect bikes no room for improvement there.
Space in the shop = quiet in the mind.

Old March 3rd, 2023, 01:53 PM   #31
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yep.... I've herd is said that the two most happiest times is when you buy a bike and when you sell that bike.... which is really strange but sure seems to be that way on this bike for me....
it was a learning experience from the start.... buying it on line #1... without ever riding it was a big leep of faith.... and one HUGE Mistake....if I would have rode it before I would never have bought that heavy pig !
I wanted a fuel injected bike and one with ABS... and my learning of how they work was passable I think.
I am NOT impressed with the Power output of the E.F.I. machines that's for sure.... it's not like they have More power than Carbureted bikes... in fact they have less by quite a bit.... in general.
I've always been a Bagger type guy sense my 305 Honda so having all the plastic saddle bags on it was a big plus.
but that just added more weight to an already too heavy machine.

the ABS brakes I think are slightly better that the older cable operated brakes of my youth.... but they definately have to be used in unison or they
do not work properly .... use both brakes and to be honest i rarely touch the front brake.... obviously I do if I need to stop fast, but ABS brakes were not meant for an old bike rider like me ! using one brake alone is really bad news.... from personal experience I came flying up to a stop sign and hit just the rear brake enough to get that big fat wide tire to brake loose and skid
and then the rear brake let off...... still moving at a fairly good clip I pumped the rear brake again and had brakes again up to the point the rear tire skidded... and then it let off almost completely again.....
this shocked the Hell out of me ! I could not believe any bike would have a system of brakes on it that would let off once the wheel skidded... but that is what they do if you only use ONE brake..... SUPER DEADLY !
the same stop sign about the same speed using both brakes was totally different.... I eased into the front brake and then hit the back brake extra hard to get it to skid... it did and the bike continued to slow down quite fast
and the rear wheel only chirped as it broke traction for a split second but continued to hold hard enough to keep stopping the bike.... while alot of that braking force was transferred to the front wheel to add more stopping power.... and in reality I probably stopped faster going to that stop sign
than I ever had in my life.... I was Impressed to say the least....
.... so I have Misgivings about ABS brakes..... I hate the fact that if your only using the back brake to slow down that it can all of a sudden just release the rear brake all together for you.....that is the dumbest thing I have ever seen ! but if your riding properly and not "the lazy ways of Old" you won't have that problem..... USE both brakes and your fine. but definitely USE both !
The Huge Dash display on that bike was something I liked from the very first thing.... with everything displayed about the bike you could think of it was the first of it's kind for me.... And I loved it
And having a whopping 6 gallons of gas in the tank after a fill up it was definitely meant for the long haul..... I remember riding all Month and still having 3/4 of a tank....
Now if I could have that entire package in a 250~300lb package I would be super happy.... but 450lbs and another 75 lbs of crap in the bags it's just too heavy. It crused at 70~80mph with no problem so top end speed was just right.... there was no need to change the gearing.... (which was a good thing as no different sprockets were available)
I learned alot from "Miss Piggy" but I want something lighter that I can throw around on a dirt road or ride to the local grocery store to get a gallon of milk.....it's not so important to me now that it has to do 80mph....
so that opens up the smaller bikes
....in the yard I have a Triumph 750cc a Kawasaki Ninja 250R and a TT250cc
although the Ninja is still in the shop I hope to have her up to snuff soon
all this snow lately has put me off.....
So I'll probably mess around with the TT250 alot more this year. !
It's been an interesting journey with the RX4 but not one I will repeat.

Bob.......

Old March 3rd, 2023, 08:29 PM   #32
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

I can relate, Bob. My last bike (the k1200) had abs and was heavy. Nice when you have a long, cold highway commute, but I don't anymore. My 650 and 250 tick all the boxes, just like your current pair.

Old March 3rd, 2023, 09:07 PM   #33
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

it's kind'a funny actually.... I was always one to look for the MOST CC's highest horse power I could get and fooie on the rest..... then the crotch rockets appeared and I thought yah right like I could ride 1500 miles leaning forward like that all day.... so that was a joke ! but they came up with 120 hp and in what form ? a crotch rocket ! I thought well maybe I could modify it to be comfortable to ride..... then life happened and got in the way of motorcycles
but I had 15 bikes still hanging around so it wasn't bad not having the fastest bike... I'ed survive !.... 20 years pass and bam I have the money to play with
so what bike do I really want !?!?!?! so I looked at all of them.... and the RX4 was the only one that checked all the boxes... so I jumped on it....
I get it and am imediately aware of the trimindious weight.... it'a a 450cc why does it weigh as much as a 1200cc bike ??????
that's one of the problems of buying on line I guess.... HEHEHE !
so I set out to lower it and succeded quite well, but that only helped a bit.
the problem was the High C.O.G. of the bike.... not just that it weighed 450lbs.... it's that the weight was High on the bike.... not low like the Triumph's.... every time I stopped at a stop sign I had to be real careful
or the thing could get away from me.... even after I lowered it ! and that was disturbing indeed.
so I have decided to down grade to smaller machines I only need enough hp to do 70~80mph..... 20hp will do that if the gearing is right ( I know I've done that before) it may not be a rocket getting there but it can reach that speed.... so thinking about it a bit I thought I already have a Ninja 250R that makes over 30hp so I know it can do those speeds it's low to begin with but I made it even lower so it'a a Kick to ride for me now.... the only problem with it is the stupid riding position it has..... I doubt I will ever get used to that
but sense I've done all I can besides change the handle bars i guess it will do... I am seriously considering stripping it and making it a dirt bike and seeing what I can do to make it a real enjoyable bike....not that I think I ever will do that as I really like the way the bike looks....
Don't get me wrong the Ninja is a heavy bike in it's own, but it IS SMALL
and that is right up my Alley !
I think I'll get it going again and then think on it....
the TT250 is the next on my list to make lower ! the main reason I haven't redden it much is it's the Kids.... well the Kid hasn't redden it yet...so I guess I'll take it over and play with it... but if I'm going to ride it I'm lowering it !
so that's next.
I put a small box on the back rack on the Ninja..... it's ugly as hell !
but it does give me an area where I can take something with me !
on the Triumph I have a back pack I can strap to the short sissy bar. so that one is covered...... but on the TT250 I made a saddle bag setup for 3 boxes
so I can haul alot of stuff on that thing if I want !
(I may well modify those to make them set closer to the bike...they stick out a bit too far for my liking !) so more fabrication ! LOL

actually I think i may be done buying motorcycles for a while !
I'll just stick with what I have for a while. LOL
though that RX3 looks cool and it's 150lbs lighter than the RX4 !
.....hehehehhee !
but I don't ride the ones I have now.... getting another would be silly !
Bob.........