ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 25th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #1
RunningOnZero
ninjette.org member

Name: Sand

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

2012 Ninja 250 Tire Help

So after putting 10k miles on my stock tires, its time to replace them. I've been looking around and have heard great things about the pirelli sport demons and the pirelli diablo rosso II. The sport demons are available in the stock ninja tire size of 110/70/17 and 130/70/17.

Now my question is that i've heard mostly that the rosso II's are better but my only fear is that they only have the rear in 140. If I go with the Rosso's and use the 140 will it affect my bike in a negative way in terms of handling and stability? I've heard that you never put a bigger tire on bikes because it can affect handling drastically. I would greatly appreciate some personal experience stories and some insight. Thank you!
RunningOnZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Sand!

A 140 rear should not negatively affect the handling unless your extra sensitive to such things. In fact, for many of us a 140 is the preferred rear tire size. They are not the best tire for mileage, but they do ok on the street for what they are. In the wet, they do semi fine for performance riding, but there are better options.

Either way you go, between those two tire choices, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
We run 140 and even 150 rears on our bikes and 110 and 120 on the front on our track-street bikes with no ill effects, all depends on what is available in the tire brand and compound we are using. If you are only street riding stick with a "sport-touring" tires as the softer tire wear very fast when street driven. Most any sport- tour tire will grind the pegs (and, or side stand tab on New Gen bikes) and give three times the mileage.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #4
RunningOnZero
ninjette.org member

Thank you both for your insight! I'm strictly a street rider no track whatsoever. If I go with the rosso II's you mention it might affect my mileage? Will having a 140 affect performance at all? Sounds like I'm going to go with the rosso. But would the rosso wear down fast street driven? Like how many miles could I get from it

Old February 25th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Roughly around 6k street miles has been the going rate for the rosso's, around 9kish for the demons... the mileage can vary wildly depending on your riding style, environment and throttle control.

Bottom line, the 140 will not affect the performance of the bike, it's more likely to improve it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #6
RunningOnZero
ninjette.org member

Thank you for the estimate on the mileage of the tires. I normally use the bike for commuting to college which is 15 minutes away and I stay below 50mph almost 90% of the time that I'm riding, sometimes when I go to meet up with friends I take the highway but other then that no highway riding. I'm going to order the rosso's and see how they are, thank you everyone for your help! If anyone else has stories or experience with the tires please share away as I wait for mine to come in!

Old February 25th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #7
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningOnZero View Post
Thank you for the estimate on the mileage of the tires. I normally use the bike for commuting to college which is 15 minutes away and I stay below 50mph almost 90% of the time that I'm riding, sometimes when I go to meet up with friends I take the highway but other then that no highway riding. I'm going to order the rosso's and see how they are, thank you everyone for your help! If anyone else has stories or experience with the tires please share away as I wait for mine to come in!
I put a 140 rear on mine, and it's been great! No problems whatsoever, and I think it helps the bike handle a bit better.

I went with the sport demons instead of the rossos, just because the rossos wear quicker, and are more prone to flatten out if you're commuting upright a lot of the time. I commute about 40 minutes each way, 80 percent of it his freeway. So, it made more sense for me to go with the sport demons. The rossos are a softer stickier tire. Either way- you can't go wrong.
Bluberryrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #8
CrazyCanuckGoat
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ZX12R (sold), 2012 250R, 1975 Honda XL250, 1980 XJ650

I put Kenda K671 tires on my 2012 last year and I really like them for the price. There is about 10 000 kms on them and the front looks like new still. The rear is approx. worn to 50% in the center after a "spirited" 1200 km 1 day ride last fall. I'm about to put a new rear on just because they are so cheap.

I run a 140 in the rear as that is what my 2001 ZZR 250 came with stock and I notice no difference in handling. I also live down a gravel road and the tires handle it well.

I'm 100% street rider and most of that is highways. If I was racing, or carving canyons, I might pick a different tire.......but for trips/all weather commuting here on the prairies, I'm quite impressed with these at their price point.
CrazyCanuckGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #9
RunningOnZero
ninjette.org member

Thank you for the additional insight. I've ordered the Rosso II's, they should come in around Thursday and I just should be able to get them installed friday. Hopefully the weather is warm enough for me to take em out for a spin.

Old February 27th, 2017, 03:19 AM   #10
Rudiger
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r(Sold) 2012 Ninja 1000 ABS

I have given up on the rosso 2s. The life span is too short for me. I never had any issues with them other than life span. Seemed like every summer needed a new rear. Sport demons were kinda the same way. Got a season and half out of them. This will be my start of my second summer on Michelin's pilots. Hopefully they hold out the whole way through before they flatten out. I also have been running a 140 rear for 4 years now. Anyway that's been my experience.
Rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #11
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: ALi

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

so these in the 140/70H-17TL would be fine ??
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ring-rear-tire
kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2017, 02:11 PM   #12
RunningOnZero
ninjette.org member

Update!

So my diablo's came in and I'm about to prop my bike up on the stands and go get the tires mounted and balanced tomorrow hopefully. Will post some pics and update on how my first ride goes hopefully this Tuesday if the weather holds.

Old March 25th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #13
RunningOnZero
ninjette.org member

I Know its been a long time, but I finally got the tires installed, and took them for a spin. My initial impression having put over 200 miles on them now, is that these tires are very different then the stock tires. Its hard to describe but these tires literally beg to be leaned over and taking a corner very aggressively. If you lean over even slightly the tires grip in that angle until you force the bike upright. I dont want this to sound intimidating to anyone considering buying these but theres are my experience with them. Personally I love them so far, they inspire so much more confidence then the stock tires. I've taken some turns at near 20+ mph then I would on my stock tires. Although be careful these tires can handle anything the tire will throw at them but just ride safe and dont be over aggressive on the streets, there is gravel and potholes. I've already scraped the pegs a few times and thats a sign that I'm getting a little over confident with the tires.

ALL IN ALL:
Excellent tires will make you feel safer riding and thats worth any amount of money. Hope this helps anyone looking into the same thing. Thank you again to everyone helping me decide!

Old March 25th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

For what its worth, all new tires feel like that after changing out ones that have been worn for many thousands of miles. It's the difference between having a proper profile, and one that has been worn much flatter over time. That said, comparing two new tires against eachother will also show differences in handling, feel, traction, etc. if they are of markedly different design/construction. But even the crappiest $50 rim protectors feel like race tires at the moment you switch from worn out ones.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote