ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old June 23rd, 2019, 05:49 PM   #1
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Name: Mine or the bikes? I think I've settled on Saeko. I'm James.

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R as a first bike!

New member in Twin Falls, Idaho

Folks, I have FIGURATIVELY no idea what I'm doing here but I'm quite certain I'm home.

I got my first motorcycle last December, a 2005 Ninja 250 of course, and I haven't ridden her yet and I'm already loving it!

I bought it for cheap with the understanding that some work was needed (we all know the story) so I've been slowly recommissioning (replacing/uprating where applicable) and letting the two-wheel bug slowly settle in.

My goal is to have my first ride under my belt by my birthday in late July. To that end, ANY and all advice for a first time rider would be appreciated! I DO plan on taking the next available STARS course and I have some reputable mentor riders from whom to learn. Beyond that, gear recommendations? Common newbie mistakes to avoid (that haven't already been made)? Good ideas not normally considered?

Thanks in advance, and HELLO!

James
Twin Falls, Idaho
PJocko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2019, 06:01 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome and good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:18 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Greetings and Salutations James!

I recommend taking your first ride in large deserted parking lot. That way if anything goes wrong with you or bike, you don't have to worry about traffic on top of that.

Throttle-control is importart part of learning. So practice adjusting throttle and speed in straigh line 1st. Get comfortable with adjusting speed up an down until you're comfortable with FULL throttle. Also practice braking at end of those straights in big empty parking lots. Then turn around and pratice throttle control in opposite direction.

Once you're comfortable with throttle (weeks, months of practice), you can then do turning exercises like squares and figure-8s. A lot of newbies crash practicing turns because they are scared of throttle or are jerky with it (often going too slow in turns causes falling over).
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2019, 09:31 PM   #4
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Well hot damn.

Hey, thanks for the immediate greetings! And for the useful input on getting started! My dad had a bigger 250cc scooter that my mom dumped on her first attempt to ride because she turned too slowly so I s'pose I have both a good and a bad example to learn from. As good parents should be, lol.

So far, I've been guided on my early riding, basic bike mechanics and prep, and given a meaningful time frame for learning. What about gear? A helmet is a definite. Boots? Pants? are pants expressly necessary normally?

Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:30 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Helmet, jacket, boots and gloves are definitely required. For parking lot practice and city riding, you can get away with knee pads. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGXKMSV/

Higher speed crashes will give you nice arse scraping, so get pants when you're ready for highway riding.

Used gear can be found at great-prices on Craigslist and local papers. Test fit for comfort (should fit snugly) and inspect carefully for damage. I found great kangaroo 1-piece track suit for less than $1k!

Old June 24th, 2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Welcome

Old June 25th, 2019, 06:42 AM   #7
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Welcome!

Welcome to the cult...I mean club.

Top recommendations I can give you which are easy to follow:

-Quality helmet (doesn't have to cost an arm & a leg)
-Good leather gloves
-Padded riding jacket even if it's hot out (road rash burns more than the temperature on a hot day)
-Tires in good condition
-Chain lubed and properly adjusted

Do post up some pics soon!

Old June 25th, 2019, 08:50 PM   #8
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome!

Gear- helmet, jacket with armor in elbows, shoulders, and spine; pants with some kind of abrasion resistance and knee armor; good boots that go up past your ankle; gloves.

Mostly relax, and when you get stressed out about something, remember that this is fun. Breathe. A lot of learning to ride is actually about learning to *see* your surroundings (look up "floodlight vision") and anticipating things that will get you in trouble.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2019, 10:11 PM   #9
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Can and will with the pictures. This weekend probably. Tires are a definite. Brakes are likely but I won't know til the wheels come off for tires and I dig deeper in. Right now, I'm chasing down electrical issues as a previous owner laid her down and did, as I discovered the hard way, some truly "shade tree" wiring repairs. My background is in avionics repair so electrical issues are like a paid vacation for me I'm actually looking FORWARD to building a lighter wiring harness next year once I dig into the aesthetics. This year is mostly about just getting her functional. On that note, I DO have two electrical issues..see my other post for deets on the "1988+ Ninja EX250 FULL Wiring Diagram here!" Thread. The second unmentioned issue is I need a new junction box from having sat for a year or two at least. That's the easiest of the two to solve.

Otherwise, Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback!

Old June 26th, 2019, 11:51 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

I made minimal wiring-harness for my race bike with all extras like lighting removed. I even downsized wire-gauge and even used aluminium wires. Total weight savings was less than 2-lbs. Might be better off just going to lithium battery for more weight-savings in less time.

Junction-box? Is that same as fuse box? I may have extra I can send you.

Old June 27th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #11
PJocko
ninjette.org member

The Haynes manual calls it a junction box so that's what I've been calling it since it was the term I learned first. The interwebs call it a fuse box or relay box. It's the fuse box, yeah.

Old June 27th, 2019, 01:34 AM   #12
DannoXYZ

What's problem with your junction/fuse box?

Old June 27th, 2019, 02:15 AM   #13
PJocko
ninjette.org member

the initial problem was no headlights where they had worked when the bike was parked up 2ish years ago. I ohmed the pins per my manual, checked the diodes across the pins. I had some opens and some diodes that read high both directions. The circuits into and out of the junction box checked good.

Old June 27th, 2019, 10:03 AM   #14
DannoXYZ

Headlight doesn't turn on when bike's running?

Does engine crank and run OK?

First time i've seen those diodes fail, but I've seen some wiring messes, so it's possible someone's previously blown them.

PM me your address and I send you extra I have.

Old June 27th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #15
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Haven't started her yet. Trying to take care of known issues/requirements first before setting myself up for heartbreak. I just had the carbs rebuilt and am sussing the wiring issues first, then oil and coolant, then she'll get a chance to breathe on her own. I figure since I have a three-day weekend starting tomorrow, I'll get the routine upkeep stuff out of the way and see if the current faulty(?) junction box will let me start her up.

Last futzed with by PJocko; June 27th, 2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typos

Old June 28th, 2019, 12:50 AM   #16
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJocko View Post
Haven't started her yet. Trying to take care of known issues/requirements first before setting myself up for heartbreak. I just had the carbs rebuilt and am sussing the wiring issues first, then oil and coolant, then she'll get a chance to breathe on her own. I figure since I have a three-day weekend starting tomorrow, I'll get the routine upkeep stuff out of the way and see if the current faulty(?) junction box will let me start her up.
Headlight won't turn on until engine's running. Great design feature for sparing battery-power for cranking. Also prevents killing battery if key is accidentally turned ON.

Measure continuity on all safety-interloc switches. These are most common source of no-crank condition with kickstand and clutch-switch being most common culprits. These do use diodes in their logic circuits, so if diodes are busted, that would cause starting issues. https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Unders...afety_switches

Old June 28th, 2019, 01:00 AM   #17
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Thank you heaps! I had no idea about the not turning on unless running. Mostly because I'd never asked...until I did, then I learned... and now I know! And in this moment, a great many pieces of the puzzle have fallen into place.

putting the "zen" back in zen of motorcycle maintenance.

I'll get her serviced and try running her tomorrow/later today and let you know how it goes.

Old June 29th, 2019, 07:58 AM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2019, 11:46 PM   #19
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Progress!

Thanks again for the warm welcome! Got a lot done on my bike this weekend. Was planning to post pictures but cannot find the computer cord for my camera (I only have a dumb phone so that's a no-go) but later today I should have something to show for my work. This will be the first time I've ever been able to post in a build thread for my own work before!

Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:35 AM   #20
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Pics are up!

Started a new thread with an introduction and pics of my bike! Once it gets approve, I'd love to hear feedback, suggestions, ideas... It's starting out as a streetfighter build but will eventually make its way to the cafe racer club, I think.

I've loved cafe racers since LONG before I even THOUGHT about getting a bike of my own. My "I've made it to the top!" bike is a Honda CX500 with custom front-swing-arm suspension and underslung spring/damper units a 'la Buell. All this he says on a Kawasaki Ninja forum

Old July 5th, 2019, 06:25 PM   #21
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome