ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 4th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250R

Custom Rearsets

Hey Everybody. I recently found out that i can get access to the machine shop and CNC machines at my school. Ive always wanted to try my hand at metalwork so I figured id do so by making myself some rear-sets. Ive always been a fan of the woodcrafts but it has always bugged me while aftermarket rearsets look awesome alone, they always seem to look like a bolt on and never part of the bike. By this I mean, they never really match the lines or style of the bike. They're also pretty expensive while the cost to make my own would be minimal... so i figured id design my own. Im pretty competent with CAD but before I can start i need the dimensions of some rearsets so I can plan all the mount points. Does anyone have access to the dimensions of any rear sets? either the stock or aftermarket ones?

Old April 4th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

lol. Unfortunately I do not have the money for one of those. I also do not want an exact copy of any existing ones and would like to use my own design I just need dimensions like the spacing between the mounting holes, master cylinder rmount, etc. I would just get them off my bike but i am away from it right now and would like something more exact than just my own measurements.

Old April 5th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #3
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
so do like they do in China and buy one for evaluation purposes and return it. There are probably companies that have invested in such things that can scan objects for you.

Once you have a 3d model you can tweak it all you want.
3D Scanners aren't cheap. Rather, accurate and precise 3D Scanners aren't cheap. If his school has one, it will probably be a 10,000 dollar machine that can only render to a certain degree of accuracy.

There is a thread somewhere here where a guy actually drew up some CAD models of some parts, a rear set is likely there.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Thats awesome. Any idea how long ago that was? i cant seem to find any threads relating to it.

Old April 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #5
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...highlight=mine

I think that's the thread he's remembering, but I'm not sure
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #6
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Cool thanks. Ill have to see if if can get the drawings for his adapters. It looks like i will only be able to get the dimensions for the rearset mount holes but it will do for now. If anyone has any more insight please let me know.

Old April 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by C L View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...highlight=mine

I think that's the thread he's remembering, but I'm not sure
Yah that's it! It's for the PreGen, but the rear set mounting points are identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebozenator View Post
Cool thanks. Ill have to see if if can get the drawings for his adapters. It looks like i will only be able to get the dimensions for the rearset mount holes but it will do for now. If anyone has any more insight please let me know.
It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. from there, all you really have to figure out is where you want the peg to be in relation to the mounting. If you want to make adjustable rearsets, you can take the mounting points, and extrude a block out and have a proprietary grid of mounting points for a second piece. I may do this myself haha, no time, though.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #8
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

I am actually going to make them adjustable. Also thinking of making them foldable but ill have to see how much that will complicate the milling.

As far as dimensions go what is worrying me is the relation between all of the break related stuff and the brake lever. I haven't taken a look at it in a while so I am not so sure how much freedom there is in placing the break switch and master cylinder in relation to the lever.

As soon as i get the dimensions for the mounting holes ill start by designing the left side because it should be relatively simple. Gonna try to make it adjustable between standard and GP shift pattern.

I also have finals coming up so progress will probably be slow the next couple of weeks

Old April 8th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #9
kavo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitch

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250 Racer

I have been thinking of doing this at uni too

kavo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #10
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I made some rearset adjusters for my Hawk 650.

k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #11
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Hey everybody. So now that finals are over I can get back to this. Here is what I have in mind so far for the folding pegs.

There will be a spring in that little gap to hold tension. Haven't worked out the proportions yet or how to mount them. I might also end up knurling the non folding part.

Lemme know what you think. Also, does anyone know what grade of aluminum I should be using?

Old May 12th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #12
kavo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitch

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250 Racer

Quote:
Hey everybody. So now that finals are over I can get back to this. Here is what I have in mind so far for the folding pegs.

There will be a spring in that little gap to hold tension. Haven't worked out the proportions yet or how to mount them. I might also end up knurling the non folding part.

Lemme know what you think. Also, does anyone know what grade of aluminum I should be using?
Looks trick! is that in solidworks?

kavo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #13
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:

I would just purchase some pegs like what you have pictured there and build your rearset brackets to suit those. I'd use 6061 T6.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #14
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:

Yea......

Unless you have the peg already textured, ALOT of time on a lathe or a 5+ axis CNC machine I'm not sure how you'll get the diamond texturing all around. If I was you I would be basically making a rearset adjuster and sourcing pegs.

Old May 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #15
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Yep thats solidworks. We actually have T6 aluminum bar lying around so it shouldn't cost me anything to make these.
I dont imagine its too hard to make. For the diamond pattern I just need to go over it with a knurling tool. after that cut the grooves on a lathe. then drill out the center and cut out the notches in the back and bottom. I don't know how to do the convex curves tho. If it doesn't work out i would probably just get some Rizoma folding pegs... those things are gorgeous.