ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old July 12th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - Mothballed for 45 years, Triumph takes a lap at

Story by Jim Witters
Photo by Halley Miller

Jack and Sandy Moffett made the trek from Harper, Texas, to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio, with one thing on their minds.

Jack wanted to race the 1960 Triumph Bonneville 650 sidecar rig he rode to the National No. 1 plate in 1970.

The bike had been sitting in the Moffetts’ garage for 45 years.

“When I went over to register to race, they just laughed at me,” Jack said. “I didn’t have any safety bolts or anything else that they require nowadays.”

Spurned from the races, the Moffetts opted for Plan B, participation in the Lap for History on Saturday afternoon.

Sitting in line awaiting the start of the lap, Jack reminisced about his racing days, from 1968 to 1970.

“We raced in Hopetown and Elsinore and a bunch of others I can’t even remember,” he said. “This is the bike that started it all.”

When Jack was asked what made him pick sidecar racing, Sandy chimed in: “I think they tend to be crazier than the guys on the solo bikes,” she said.

Click here for full story...