ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #1
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Is it true...? have any of you done it before?

where I took my msf there's motorcycle shop that offers discount on most things motorcycle to students and former students. it's where I have my bike oil changed, but about a month ago I was talking to the mechanic I told him next time I come in I was gonna switch to full synthetic. I forgot what he told me exactly since it was a month ago, but he basically said that I shouldn't do it since it's not one the new bikes like a 2012 or 2013 or something. he said changing to full synthetic could cause the bike to run differently (not in a good way).

I reached the 3000 mark on the bike and about to change the oil again tomorrow, I was wondering when you guys switch to full synthetic if ever. I've been using a semi for now. Does this guy have a point?
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I do not know and most folks here feel that you will get better protection from synthetic.

The shop I get my oil changed told me it does not make a difference if you change your oil and filter when you should, so was a waste of money to use synthetic.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I change my oil and filter every 3000-3500 miles/before and after track days. The PO used regular oil until 6300 miles, which is when I bought the bike. I currently use Rotella T6 synthetic oil. I really notice no difference, but the T6 is affordable (like $13 for a gallon) and easy to buy wherever I go (Sold at Wal-Mart).

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
No matter what oil you choose, change it regularly and change it often. That's going to be significantly more important for long engine life than picking the 'right' fancy schmancy oil that costs 100x as much as everything else and is a funny color.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

The Ninja 250 Wiki goes into great detail about what kinds of oil to use on the pregens.
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Synthetic oil implies it's some magic elixer made in a lab not from old compressed dinosaurs, while some are like this, most aint.

Fact of the matter is most synthetic oil is simply highly refined dino juice, with hyrocarbons cut down to length using enzymes I believe.

So think of synetic more as very accurate oil, not some league above highly refined plastic lab coat super goop.

It's slightly better, but as chone said, any oil changed often is better than the best oil changed very infrequently.

Btw, I hate cryptic thread names that give no clue to the content ARGH!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I switched over to synthetic oil at about the 3,000 mile mark and 26,000 miles later have not suffered any ill effects.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM   #7
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklooker View Post
The Ninja 250 Wiki goes into great detail about what kinds of oil to use on the pregens.
that's where I got my info from..

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #8
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the info guys....