ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 7th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Failure to Signal Ticket...

So... Got my first ticket earlier today. The officer claims that I did not signal when changing lanes, I know for a fact that I did.

I saw 3 police cars off to my right with their lights on about where I made this "illegal" lane change so only an idiot wouldn't have signaled... I always signal anyway, it's out of habit.

No clue how much it will cost, how many points it's worth or anything. I'm considering fighting it, especially if the dash cams on the patrol cars were running since then my signals should show up on them.

The story:

It was about 11:00 pm, I was coming home after working on some riding skills/techniques I saw in Twist of the Wrist II at one of the MSF courses around town. I was riding well within all the laws. It was a 35mph zone and I got passed by some compact SUV, but whatever, I didn't care. I was doing roughly 40-41 mph but I didn't speed up or anything, I just let him go. Up ahead I saw the lights of several police cars but thought nothing of it. I knew I was doing nothing wrong minus the tiny bit of speeding. I was in the left lane on a 4 lane road, the 3 cops were pulled over on the right just before a fairly sharp S turn. There was one of those yellow turn caution signs with a 25 mph speed limit attached right before the turn. The car that had passed me up slowed way down to make the turn where as I did not. I maintained my speed of 40-41 mph, possibly slowing down a little bit even before the turn since the vehicle abruptly hit the brakes. I then made a lawful lane change to the right and waited at the red light while a cop pulled up behind me. On the green I just kept riding like normal, the cop turned on the lights and gave me a little "whoop whoop!" I turned into a shopping center off on my right and into the parking lot. "Ah no worries, the only thing I bet this guy will try is a speeding ticket, and I know I definitely wasn't doing anything ridiculous." I thought. He exited the vehicle and told me that he was an expert at judging vehicle speed and claimed that I was easily doing over 50 in the curves. After hearing this I actually was put at east because I knew he had nothing on me. No chance I was going that fast first of all, and secondly I knew he would have no equipment that could prove him right. Then he dropped the bombshell on me claiming I didn't signal... Now I got worried. "How the heck am I going to get out of this one?" I wondered... "My word against his along with the other cops definitely wouldn't work in court." I'd still be willing to bet that my signals would show up on a dash cam though since I know I signaled. To top all of this off, insurance is a requirement here in Las Vegas, and my insurance expired on the 6th... No big deal right? It was 11:30 on the 6th on my ticket. Wrong. Apparently insurance expires at 5:00pm on the date listed... He said, "That sucks, your insurance is expired by 6 hours." Are you kidding me?!?! Dang! That's something I really had no power over! At least he gave me a break... I knew the speeding wasn't a big deal, and he let the insurance go. Only thing he got me on was my "failure to signal" which was completely unexpected. I didn't dare argue with him over any of it. The only thing that I said that may have rubbed him the wrong way was: "I mean no disrespect to you at all, but is it possible for me to fight this? I don't doubt what you saw, I just honestly believe that I signaled for my lane change." He came back with, "Sure you can, we'll both just show up to court on the listed date, just keep in mind that there were 3 of us back there so the choice is yours." I'm sure he was in the back of his mind thinking I was some ungrateful little punk for letting the insurance and the speeding go but I'd honestly have no problem with the speeding since I legitimately was over the posted limit by a few mph, where as I KNOW I did not fail to signal my intention for a lane change.

Input? Tips? Ideas? I have no idea how the court system works so I'm looking for a little guidance here.

Old May 7th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Trash Can Man
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, 87 & 99 Concours, Buell 1125CR

Get your insurance in order before you go to court. See if your agent will wright it so it didn't lapse. Then plead not guilty. Even if the policeman shows up in court, it's your word against his. Unless he has dash-cam evidence. Be ready to pay the fine. Be respectful.

Bumpty,bumpty, bump
Trash Can Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #3
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

The cop most likely not show up, unless it's like my town where the police dept. is next door to the courthouse.

Get your insurance lined up first, but I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
The cop most likely not show up, .
I love it when people say that. When a cop writes you a ticket, it's for a day that he's scheduled to be in court all day. It's not like he's gonna be out on patrol on your court date and might forget to go.

Old May 7th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #5
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

sounds like he thought you were speeding, but couldn't prove it, so he pulled you over to give you something. he'll show up, and like you said, it's his word against yours.

if the failure to signal violation is a moving violation and gives you points, it might be worth showing up in court and asking the officer to drop the points.

if there's no points, since you were speeding and had expired insurance, consider this a gift, and move on. keep your ducks in a row next time.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

First, check to see if any of your bulbs are out.

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
no point not fighting it

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #8
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

If he had a dashcam rolling, you can request the dashcam footage of your stop.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #9
ator
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
It depends on the police budget. When you fight it in court the officer is told about it and his schedule adjusted to have him usually get overtime for going to court after all he has his regular patrolling to do. If the department cannot afford the overtime pay then the officer doesnt show up. As with anything there are exceptions to this.
You are right, It does come down to the budget. Some places have a specific budget to have their officers spend a day in court a week, or every other week.

Hopefully when you call to schedule a court date, you can schedule an "informal hearing" Basically, they will schedule a ton of these for the same date/time. (example, Mon the 6th between 8-10am, be prepared to spend a few hours there)

As long as your driving record is "good" they will bump you down to a "non-moving" violation. (something like impeading traffic) Which will be no points on your driving record, and therefore no increase in your insurance premium.

All they really want is your money anyway.
ator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #10
noni47
ninjette.org member

Name: Noel

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Yamaha R6 & 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Was it metro or NHP that pulled you over?
noni47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #11
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

National Motorists Association

You can join for free. Great write-ups on how to fight tickets, etc. They employ attorneys to come up with the best strategy. Obviously, no guarantees of results!

http://www.motorists.org/
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

@Trash Can Man, @NDspd, My new insurance card came in the mail that day, I just didn't see it lol... So having current insurance is no longer a problem. That's one issue fixed. I've heard mixed things about officers not showing up for court dates though @Reswob brings up an excellent point that I have not read about anywhere online. If he's correct then that throws the chances of him not showing up right out the window.

@dfox, I thus far have been unable to track down the point value for failure to signal here in Las Vegas, but in other locations they all seem to be 2 points and a $50-150 charge.

@Mountain Dew, Completely with you there, checking my lights was the first thing I did after the cop left lol. I KNEW they would be okay... Got one of those Hotbodies undertails and an integraded tail light along with Proton flushmounts. Everything is LED, and everything worked fine when I checked afterwards.

@trixter, @alex.s, by requesting all these tapes, does that raise the price of the court trail for me? Is there a price I pay to the court regardless of winning or losing? I just don't have a clue what happens if I fight and lose vs if I fight and win minus not having to pay the ticket and no points of course. I've heard mixed things about fighting these violations in court.

@ator, The informal hearing is what would potentially bump me down for a non-moving violation? My record is clean, this is the only time I've ever encountered the law. Does it help if my brother is in law enforcement lol? He's SWAT over in Dyersburg Tennessee.

@noni47, It was Metro. Helpful tip for you, they swarm Rainbow at that time lol. There were those 3 I mentioned, plus potentially 2 more on a 3 block range. It was pretty crazy, tagging people left and right. During the time of my ticket write up, they pulled over 3 more people.

@250rr, checking out that website, definitely won't hurt to join if it's free! Been doing so much research on tickets and stuff over the past 14 hours and this is something that didn't even pop up on my radar. Thanks! I'll be sure to let you know if it helps!

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #13
ator
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

My info comes from me getting a speeding ticket a year ago (in my car). Was clocked at 55 in a 35. Cop wrote me a ticket for 5 over. He wrote on the ticket that I was radar timed at 55

It was my first ticket in 20 years

I spoke with some friends and they suggested to call and ask for an informal hearing. I did, ending up showing up to about 300 other people at the same time.

They called us in a room 5 at a time, asked us how our record was (of course they had all this already) Then said that if we were willing to plead guilty to "impeading traffic" then the original violation would be dismissed. No Points

Next we were brought into a courtroom about 30-40 at a time, the judge (or magistrate?) called us up by name 5 at a time. We then pleaded guilty to "impeading traffic" and were sent out to pay the fine.

All in all took a couple hours, and I was one of the first ones there.

There were a few who were not given this opportunity, they were given a seperate court date. (probably bad driving records)
ator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

@ator, that actually seems like it could potentially be a great option for me to take. I'll definitely be looking into it.

@trixter, just got off the phone with some family, turns out a lot of times these Metro Police cars are not outfitted with dashcams. I'm going to check into it further since there were 3 cars all parked in a line, that's 3 times the chances. If no tape exists though, I'm kind of screwed with my whole case as it goes directly back to a me vs cops credibility issue.

Old May 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

I've gone in a few times now for a speeding ticket. Each time I was offered to take a "driving class" instead of getting a ticket. I ended up paying for the ticket plus the class, but it keeps the ticket off my record and adds no points.
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

Forgetting to turn the signal off has its benefits. "I didn't forget to use it officer, in fact, its still going"
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #17
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I've been pulled over more than 5 times this year, from making illegal turns to driving the wrong way down a one way street to using a 'private property' to bypass a stop light...but I never got a ticket
Wanna know my secret? I revert to using the thickest, most indiscernible accented English ever; that and with my face arranged in a "I'm an ignorant alien in an alien world" look...I always get away! ..sort of like that eye trick that cat's pull off. It freaking works peeps! Try it and you'll thank me

Btw, Good luck @ court bud.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #18
noni47
ninjette.org member

Name: Noel

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Yamaha R6 & 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I saw a lot of police on my way home from work. They're pulling over riders just to check if you have your m license and a DOT approved helmet. Anyways if you need help I know someone that can get your ticket reduced to a parking ticket.
noni47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #19
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I've been pulled over more than 5 times this year, from making illegal turns to driving the wrong way down a one way street to using a 'private property' to bypass a stop light...but I never got a ticket
Wanna know my secret? I revert to using the thickest, most indiscernible accented English ever; that and with my face arranged in a "I'm an ignorant alien in an alien world" look...I always get away! ..sort of like that eye trick that cat's pull off. It freaking works peeps! Try it and you'll thank me

Btw, Good luck @ court bud.
That act would make me want to not only give you a ticket, but find cause to arrest you and impound the bike. If you can't understand my country's traffic laws you shouldn't be ****ing driving/riding in my country!

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #20
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
That act would make me want to not only give you a ticket, but find cause to arrest you and impound the bike. If you can't understand my country's traffic laws you shouldn't be ****ing driving/riding in my country!
wo! chill out dude, there is no call for waving banners or blowing the patriotic horn. It's not a case of ignorance or lack of understanding of laws that got me pulled over but common place mistakes...most stem from riding in a new part of town, messing up my navigation etc., just plain old, honest, mistakes and the cops I run across where understanding and empathetic enough to realize that...unlike some douchy, wannabe-cybercop, pseudo-nationalist, prick.

Last futzed with by EthioKnight; May 8th, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #21
vince_2149
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
This post reminds me of this, haha

Link to original page on YouTube.

vince_2149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #22
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

@Scattcatt Let me know if it helps! It's a great organization.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #23
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
@Scattcatt Let me know if it helps! It's a great organization.
Definitely will! Been reading through them a little bit. Not too much considering this is finals week for me at UNLV, but I've decided for sure I'm going to fight it.

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince_2149 View Post
This post reminds me of this, haha
wow that officer should be fired...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #25
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

hahahahahahaha

what an asshole. Im thinking about coming a cop so I can be one of the nice ones.

and wtf kind of jail is he running that allows ass raping... that only happens in the big ones...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
and legal
no, not legal. But who watches the watchers... sigh. I'll just follow the laws and never have to worry about it.

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #27
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Huh welcome to the USA that cop was a great advert for tourism when I see crap like that I don't ever want to go to the states .Before you all get on your high horses Yeah Yeah I know you are not all like that and yes he should obey the laws as in any country but that attitude is bang out of order I have many good friends from the states some of which live here and say that its getting too much .At least all we have to do here is say sorry and give the cop a few Bucks for Tea fund and we are on our way again no court no ticket no hassle on the odd occasion you will get an honest cop here and he will give you a ticket which you then have to go to a police station of his choosing to pay the fine to get your licence back, but if you get stopped again that same day you just show your ticket and they let you go .

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Trust me, America rocks.

EDIT: just act like you know what you're doing.

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #29
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Quote:
I think you will find most Americans disagree with the attitude expressed by that particular officer. There are some departments where that type of culture is encouraged, and even the best officer will quickly become that way. Very adversarial where any contact the police make is one of hostility. I think that is a big part of the problem where there is a constant escalation between cops and those they come in contact with.
I am sure you are right and the problem is with you tube people like to post the bad so makes things look worse that it really is.