ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old July 29th, 2019, 07:44 PM   #1
wtfemery
ninjette.org member

Name: Emery

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R

How should I deal with my gear while going to class?

Hey guys, So, If I can get my bike to run reliably (fingers crossed), I'll be using it as my primary way of transport from my apartment to my college campus (about 4 miles away) because parking passes are astronomically expensive for cars ($800+/yr) and I don't have that kind of money lol.

Anyways I started to wonder, What should I do with all my gear while I am in class for several hours at a time? I have a full face helmet and a CE armor jacket right now, and I'll soon have gloves, boots, and kevlar/armor pants once I get the bike running right.

I could wear the pants/boots in class, but what do I do about the jacket and helmet? I'll be walking several miles around campus all day and really just don't want to lug gear around the whole time. my '05 250R has the helmet lock, but I really don't know if that would actually deter thieves much, because it just locks the strap, and that helmet was exxpenssiivvee. Is there maybe some sort of cheap-ish bag I can put on the rear seat that locks holds everything securely?

I'd love to hear yall's methods for this. The cheapest possible solution would be the best for me as I'm broke af, but if I have to carry around a duffel bag I will because I'm not compromising my gear, and I really don't want it to be stolen.
wtfemery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
When I rode my '72 H2 25 or so miles to college, I just wore the gear and carried the helmet to class. Really, with just four miles you're probably better off riding a bicycle to campus unless the roads are just not safe for that. A motorcycle engine won't really even be warmed up in that distance.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 29th, 2019, 08:32 PM   #3
wtfemery
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
When I rode my '72 H2 25 or so miles to college, I just wore the gear and carried the helmet to class. Really, with just four miles you're probably better off riding a bicycle to campus unless the roads are just not safe for that. A motorcycle engine won't really even be warmed up in that distance.
Yea, unfortunately the roads leading to campus are four-lane 45-50mph roads with no sidewalks or bike lanes. I'd wear my jacket but it is just armor with no extra material. It would look like I'm showing up to play hockey without a jersey.

Old July 29th, 2019, 08:44 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
4 miles and 45 mph roads? That's a perfect bicycle commute I'd kill for.

you won't even warm the oil in 4 miles if you take a vehicle with an engine. If you do wear the jacket and helmet, I have a novel idea; take them to class with you. Not that hard.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 29th, 2019, 09:23 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I've done a commute like that. The speed limit on my road is 55mph. There is a decent shoulder, and the new road has a bike lane. The old one didn't, and I ended up taking possession of the lane on my bicycle and letting cars pass when that was useful.

Though I agree a 4 mile commute is totally bicycle friendly. My commute during school was 4.5 miles to school, 6 miles to my hubby's office to meet him for lunch, and 2.5 miles back home. I was in good shape doing that.

If you do end up using the Ninjette, I'd get a bicycle cable lock, run it through your jacket sleeve and the chin-bar of your helmet, and lock it to the frame of the bike. More secure than the normal helmet-loop.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2019, 09:31 PM   #6
wtfemery
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I've done a commute like that. The speed limit on my road is 55mph. There is a decent shoulder, and the new road has a bike lane. The old one didn't, and I ended up taking possession of the lane on my bicycle and letting cars pass when that was useful.

Though I agree a 4 mile commute is totally bicycle friendly. My commute during school was 4.5 miles to school, 6 miles to my hubby's office to meet him for lunch, and 2.5 miles back home. I was in good shape doing that.

If you do end up using the Ninjette, I'd get a bicycle cable lock, run it through your jacket sleeve and the chin-bar of your helmet, and lock it to the frame of the bike. More secure than the normal helmet-loop.
idk why i hadn't thought of that lol. I'll probably do that but with a thick chain to a bike rack too because there's an ongoing trend of mopeds and unlocked bikes being snatched at my school

Old July 30th, 2019, 03:38 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
While at university, I used locking top box on Interceptor. Fits jacket and helmet easily. Some of more square boxes can fit boots too.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2019, 10:46 PM   #8
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
See if there are lockers on campus that you can use. I paid less than $20/semester to use a locker and it was well worth it.

Old July 30th, 2019, 10:52 PM   #9
wtfemery
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
See if there are lockers on campus that you can use. I paid less than $20/semester to use a locker and it was well worth it.
Good idea! though the only lockers I can find are at the fitness center and that's an extra 25 mins after arriving to check in and out and walk over to the class buildings :/

Old August 3rd, 2019, 06:37 PM   #10
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfemery View Post
Good idea! though the only lockers I can find are at the fitness center and that's an extra 25 mins after arriving to check in and out and walk over to the class buildings :/
I've generally found the solutions for dealing with gear to be inconvenient, expensive, not secure, or some combination of those, but still generally more tolerable than driving for me. It's just a matter of what you find most bearable.

I've worn my gear to class a lot (and it always all comes with me if it's been raining).

I've left a giant motorcycle-specific duffel bag filled with my riding gear strapped to my bike with just a combo lock on the zipper but also pretty surprised nothing ever happened to my stuff cuz that wasn't secure at all. Wouldn't do that again tbh.

I've carried around a duffel bag full of my gear. Wearing the gear was easier for me than carrying it in a bulky bag.

I've seen people just lock their gear directly to their bike on the street, but I really don't trust people enough for that. Maybe your area is safer, but that wouldn't fly in some of the places I am in frequently.

I've ended up spending a ton more money on nice Givi luggage over the years because I go to enough things where I don't want to drag my gear around but still need it to be relatively secure. My current setup on my Ninja 300 allows me to store most of my gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, overpants) in a locking aluminum Givi trunk on my bike and then I either keep wearing my boots or switch to shoes and put the boots in my large backpack. That's the most expensive option though unfortunately.

Old August 4th, 2019, 07:58 AM   #11
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Just wear your gear. School is supposed to be a place to get an education and any educated person knows that wearing gear for motorcycling is for a riders safety.

Old August 4th, 2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Well of course you know, put your gloves in your backpack, carry your helmet, if your boots fit in your backpack, put them in there and slip on some light extra shoes that you took with you in your backpack, if not then just wear your boots. Just keep your jacket on since you were wearing it on the motorcycle anyway so if it's hot to wear while walking to class, it was hot on the motorcycle anyway and when you get inside class, just take your jacket off and enjoy the AC. Huge run on sentence but you get the point.

Old August 28th, 2019, 02:16 PM   #13
JohnC
ninjette.org newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 1000, 2004 TTR-230 (2 of 'em)

I made up some wire cables and locks, and I run the cables through the jacket sleeves and the chin bar on my lid. If you make 'em long enough, you could do the same with a pants leg. Boots you either have to carry or wear, though there are some great boot options now that are more walkable. Gloves, same thing.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2019, 04:37 PM   #14
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hey, I’ve gotten some fun dates from just wearing my gear to class! Weeds out ones who aren’t any fun.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2019, 06:16 PM   #15
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hey, I’ve gotten some fun dates from just wearing my gear to class! Weeds out ones who aren’t any fun.
I need to go where this happens!
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2019, 03:31 AM   #16
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Or you can just wear shorts and flip flops. It’s only four miles, right?
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2019, 05:21 PM   #17
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
My daughter rides about 6 miles to her college. She stuffs her jacket and gloves in her saddle bags, wears her boots, carries her helmet to class. She just wears regular jeans when she rides .
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote