ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Palmer Track

Just been doing a little checking on the Palmer track and here is what I have found.
#1 They plan on having "spectator" events which means racing! No indication on weather they will have bike racing there but it looks good

#2 They are planning on building spectator stands if there is enough intrest

#3 They a possibly adding a Drift track

#4 they are planning on a Drag racing track!

This info came directly from their Face Book page. I cannot confirm nor deny any of the info but it is on the net if you google!

I just looked up the location and the track is even closer to my house than the Thompson Track. I need to figure out a way to set up a shop to exploit my location. I hope this all comes true and we all get many happy years on theis track
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:47 PM   #2
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Just been doing a little checking on the Palmer track and here is what I have found.
#1 They plan on having "spectator" events which means racing! No indication on weather they will have bike racing there but it looks good

#2 They are planning on building spectator stands if there is enough intrest

#3 They a possibly adding a Drift track

#4 they are planning on a Drag racing track!

This info came directly from their Face Book page. I cannot confirm nor deny any of the info but it is on the net if you google!

I just looked up the location and the track is even closer to my house than the Thompson Track. I need to figure out a way to set up a shop to exploit my location. I hope this all comes true and we all get many happy years on theis track
Probably won't know about the weather until right before the track day.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; March 24th, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You mean the Palmer Citizens for Palmer Motorsports page, right? Because the auto-generated page for the track itself has no content. Neither does the track website.

That group is just supporters... not directly tied to the track itself. So they can say whatever they want. Doesn't mean it's related to reality in any way.

That FB page is a bit breathless and optimistic IMHO.

Like this: "Would you guys like to see a AMA event or MotoGP?? We would need support from every race fan. But it could happen! "

Uhhh. yeah. The track doesn't even have toilets installed yet. And MotoGP? Puhleeeeze. Have these guys ever actually been to a world-class racing facility?

I'm glad there's enthusiasm there. But as with all things, it's all just rainbows and unicorns until the gates open and the track is operational.

I have serious doubts that the track facilities will be anywhere remotely close to completion by opening day. Maybe one building with bathrooms. Paved parking? Doubt it... lower priority. Running water would sure be nice. So would power.

Here's the reality: We have yet to see actual evidence that there is ANYTHING there other than pavement on the track surface.

If you've looked at the track map, you can see there's supposed to be a tunnel to the infield. And if you've looked at the videos from just a few months ago (last fall), you can see that they hadn't even started digging for it.

To the best of my knowledge, here's what they still needed to do when the snow started falling:

- Crash barriers for all rock walls and cliffs. Total length in the thousands of feet at least.
- Dig access tunnel and pave
- Construct basic facilities: Toilets, office
- Pave paddock

That's the minimum to become operational AFAIK. All of this has to be done by opening day, which I believe is May 8. That is 45 days from right now.

I've bought and paid for slots over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm very hopeful that they'll actually have some kind of crash barriers in place to keep us from launching into space over the cliffs, or smearing ourselves against the rock walls. I think there's at least a reasonable chance that won't happen by the end of May, and they will have to resort to artificial chicanes and such to keep speeds down.

Remember, something very similar happened at Thompson. No air fence when we rode there, and cones to force slower lines. It worked out okay, so it's not a deal killer for Palmer IMHO.

It's going to be a blast no matter what, but all this talk of awesome facilities should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; March 24th, 2015 at 06:51 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Update based on info from Tony's Track Days as of 4/4/15:

TL;DR. Primitive to start, but looks like a go.

No facilities at first. No power, probably no water. Just portapotties. The parking area/paddock might not even be paved yet. Totally primitive conditions, which as I understand it was what they had at NYST in the beginning.

Bring lots of gas (Ken and Tony said they're bringing 10 gallons). No fuel on track, and you'd have to drive a few miles at least to find the nearest station. Riding up that mountain will suck fuel.

We may camp if we wish and arrival the night before is okay. Tony will try to get people with generators to group together to keep the noise down for the rest of us.

I did drive up there on the way home since it was a relatively minor detour. Didn't drive into the nearest town (Ware) but my impression is that the track is pretty remote. Make sure you're self-sufficient. The gate was of course locked but it looked like the access road is paved... a good sign.

Protection in critical areas (cliffs, rock faces) will be jersey barriers with nascar tires. That's to start... Foam/air fence to come over time. Similar to Thompson where it exits the oval.

Apparently the scary piles of rock debris we've seen in the videos have been moved away.

There will be a chicane set up between turns 1 and 2 to point us away from the big rock walls on the right. Basically, from the last turn at the end of the front straight until you start your blast up the hill will be single-file with very little chance of crashing. Similar to the cone chicanes at Thompson.

Tony and Ken had great things to say about the turns coming down off the top of the mountain. Going to be FUN.

The only truly blind turn is a diving right hander just before the straight opens up in front of you. They'll put up cones for sight reference.

Old April 5th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
From what I have seen, if you plan to tent camp... bring a pad to lay down for some amount of softness. From what I have seen, I would assume your popping a tent on and sleeping on the gravel.

Somebody get plenty of pics and vid please!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

I've got a 4x8 trailer decked with fluffy soft pine plywood....

And a car.

Old April 5th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Camping sucks! If a few of you go in on a RV you will have a much more rewarding track day stay. I always rented or used a friend's RV when going to the track and it is much less stressful.

Old April 5th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Don't have an RV, don't know anyone with an RV, don't want to spend the money to fuel an RV, and I have a long and happy history of backpacking... if I wanted to spend bucks I'd just go get a hotel room.

But for those who appreciate having a house handy, I can appreciate the sentiment.

Old April 6th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #9
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

a couple tarps, a tent, and an air mattress! Just stinks the only tent i have is an 8 man tent, good thing my friend lives within 15 min or so of the track. Ill prob just stay at his house.

Old April 6th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Nyst has a villa right in the infield. That would be cool.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

I didn't mind camp my at nyst. Fell asleep about 11. Midnight I hear a friend get out of his van and pee. Then I hear a tent unzip a minute later and another friend peed. Lol. I held off for a bout ten minutes then I had to go out and pee. Power of suggestion I guess.

Old April 6th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #12
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Don't have an RV, don't know anyone with an RV, don't want to spend the money to fuel an RV, and I have a long and happy history of backpacking... if I wanted to spend bucks I'd just go get a hotel room.

But for those who appreciate having a house handy, I can appreciate the sentiment.
I haven't read a post with RV in it as much since Ryan Villopoto got tired of dominating the AMA and went to Europe to race the GP series.

Old April 6th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

RV vs. tenting aside, there's another reason why I like to stay at the track.

I absolutely love the early morning vibe.

I went to all of the USGPs at Indianapolis except the first. Each day I'd get there super-early. I'd park in the infield, grab a cup of coffee and climb up into the stands... big enough to hold a couple of hundred thousand people, and all but empty. It was like walking into one of those enormous European cathedrals. Quiet. Morning mist still hanging over the infield. Watching things ramp up as more and more spectators arrived... hearing the first bark of engines... it was truly special.

I spend every freakin' morning of my life including a bunch of weekends scrambling to get someplace on time. I am well and truly sick of the whole rat race.

This is an all-too-rare chance to completely unplug, relax, and not have to worry about the commute. A time of peace and quiet with nothing to think about but riding that day. I can just wake up, brew a pot of coffee, make breakfast and chill, watching the traffic jam of people rushing to find a spot, unload and hit tech in time.

Old April 6th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I can just wake up, brew a pot of coffee, make breakfast and chill, watching the traffic jam of people rushing to find a spot, unload and hit tech in time.
this for sure...

The track in the evening is good too. I am on the hunt for a propane fire pit like I seen at Jennings, so everyone can gather around the fire to tell lies stories about their day, bikes or whatever.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Thing is, people just don't get it. From that first weekend I posted a pic you shot of me on Facebook. I was wrenching on the bike, totally happy and at peace. I captioned it "a little quality time." Several at work made fun of me....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

nyst has a firepit so those of you camping there can enjoy some benchracing by the fire at night