ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Paintless Dent Removal - Gas Tank

So a week ago I was unfortunate enough to find a dent in my gas tank. My bike is parked in a cluttered garage so its possible something fell on to it. Has anybody tried paying a pro to fix it using paintless dent removal techniques? Here's a picture of my bike. What's the probability of this being fixed without dishing out $$$ for a full fix with an OEM paint job (special edition white with metallic flakes).

Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That sucks. I would think that would pop out but it looks like there is a crease. Make sure you get some that won't make it worse.

Old March 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Just throwing out an idea here. If it was me, I would try to stick my hand in there and push it out (from the bottom up as to avoid leaving a crease) while heating it with a blow dryer. Thats assuming you can remove the filler neck.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #4
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLick415 View Post
Just throwing out an idea here. If it was me, I would try to stick my hand in there and push it out (from the bottom up as to avoid leaving a crease) while heating it with a blow dryer. Thats assuming you can remove the filler neck.
He'd have to have some pretty small hands.

Link to original page on YouTube.

k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
There is many DIY dent repairs on the net. Everyting from dry ice to plumbers toilet plunger. If you want to DIY do a search.

Old March 24th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #6
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
He'd have to have some pretty small hands.
Oh, I didnt realize the hole was that small lol
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #7
marc0189
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I'm a PDR Technician for the largest PDR company in the country (Dent Wizard International), and motorcycles, especially the tanks, can be tricky. We tend to not do them because in most cases, there isn't any access to the outer metal skin of the tank. They are in most cases layered and are very thick (it's a bowl filled with gas between my legs, I'd hope it would be).

In some cases, if it's small, we can remove a dent via a process called glue-pulling (think Ding King as seen on TV, only it actually works because we're trained how to fix stuff with a slide hammer). It MIGHT pull, but I can't be certain from the picture. You'd have to have a tech look at it in person. Most Independent guys won't touch it though for the reasons I stated above.

Dry Ice is BS and can screw up your clear coat real bad if you're not extremely careful, so I'd advise against it. There's a reason why PDR Techs don't run around with a cooler full of Dry Ice to car lots. It doesn't work in most cases and will never give results like pushing it out from behind would. The toilet plunger thing usually just makes a nice high spot in the car and if it isn't clean, can just scratch the paint. It wouldn't work on your tank dent because I'm pretty sure there isn't a toilet plunger out there that small. lol

But I'd give 1-800-DENT-WIZ a call and see if you can meet up with a technician out there and see what he has to say about it.

~Marc
marc0189 is offline   Reply With Quote