ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 21st, 2022, 08:22 PM   #1
blackiredi
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R (track), '20 Street Triple 765 (street), '12 CRF150R SM (racing)

Dog Bones

Hey All,

My bike came with the GSXR shock swap done. But the dogbones are stock length. I need to raise the rear 1.25". Ordered from Burkhartcycle in October. Account shows order pending. Dude will not get back to me. Three months is way too ling to wait anyway.

So, I'm going to fab my own DB's. Does anyone know the on center (bolt hole) measurement for the 1.25 raising links? Any educated guesses? Is there a ratio or a magic math formula to figure it out?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
blackiredi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2022, 03:48 AM   #2
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

I'm sure there is a magic formula. But the simple answer is remove current bones, put bolts back in the holes, raise bike to the height you want, then measure across the bolts. If you still have the centre stand, then get a 1/2" piece of wood to put under the rear wheel which will give you the correct height.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 25th, 2022, 02:51 PM   #3
blackiredi
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R (track), '20 Street Triple 765 (street), '12 CRF150R SM (racing)

Smart. I'll give it a try. Thanks. No center stand though. No stand at all- race bike. I have to figure out some fancy car jack action.

Old December 26th, 2022, 06:46 AM   #4
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

On the N300, stock links are 6.5" eye-to-eye, and shortening them to 6.15" made a nice difference for me.

Telling how much it raises the rear will depend on where you measure that difference. The more backwards you go, the bigger the difference.

If the length of the N250 is also 6.5", then maybe the linkage is the same for both bikes and you should get similar results.

I've heard that some ppl also got good results by getting a set of links from an older EX500/Ninja500.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2022, 03:22 PM   #5
blackiredi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
On the N300, stock links are 6.5" eye-to-eye, and shortening them to 6.15" made a nice difference for me.

Telling how much it raises the rear will depend on where you measure that difference. The more backwards you go, the bigger the difference.

If the length of the N250 is also 6.5", then maybe the linkage is the same for both bikes and you should get similar results.

I've heard that some ppl also got good results by getting a set of links from an older EX500/Ninja500.
Awesome. Super helpful. Thank you!

Old January 8th, 2023, 12:02 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I bought a set of adjustable dog bones for my 2012 250R Ninja...
for the purpose of LOWERING the seat height....
I measured the distance between the bolt holes after I pulled the stock dog bones off and put a screw jack under the very back of the engine... and after positioning the seat height where I wanted it...
then I set both of the NEW adjustable lower links/ dog bones to that measurment... installed them and it was right on but the sag adjustment added too much so I had to subtract some length from the adjustable dog bones
go get it just right when I sat on it...
sense it took me several hours to set the sag just right I opted to just do the Dog bones to get it perfect.... it worked great.
on my RX4 I had to make a new lower link and add 5/8" to the length of the stock link to lower it as much as I daired. any more than that caused binding of the link and clearance problems of the shock. but it did lower it 2"
I wound having to raise the rear by the pre-load adjustment so the rear tire wouldn't hit the inner fender on bumps though....
it depends on what kind of geometry the rear of the bike has weather the links you add will be alot longer or shorter or just a little bit....
on most of them it's just a little bit like 1/2" or so...
I used 2 pieces of 1.5"wide x 1/8" thick bar stock for each side of the lower link... making the total thickness 1/4" when welded together
this is over kill as I am sure 3/16" thick metal would have handled it easy.
on My RX4 it doesn't have Dog bones but a "U" shaped piece where the dog bones themselves are attached to a tube and then that is bolted to the frame
I pressed in a bronze bushing for where the bolt goes and it's been working great sense and I can flat foot that heavy beast easy !
....it SUX to be short !
Bob......

Old January 14th, 2023, 06:51 PM   #7
blackiredi
ninjette.org member

I went with 154mm eye to eye. The "custom" ones on the bike when I got it were 164mm eye to eye- so almost oem length. With the GSXR shock the swingarm was past horizontal the bad direction.

With 154mm the bike is raised 4cm from where the subframe was cut (weight savings) by the previous owner to the very back of the swingarm. This seems good for what I need- probably going to have to play with the height of the front forks once the rain stops and I get some track time.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1134.jpg (162.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1135.jpg (149.5 KB, 2 views)

Old January 14th, 2023, 08:06 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ohhh ! if it were me Blackiredi I would weld a piece of tubing across the back of that frame so each of those long arms has support from the other one...
because that is screaming "Weak spot" to me ! it is one thing to lighten a frame but another thing entirely to weaken it....if anything you want to strengthen it.
let's face it. we put these little bikes through hell.... and usually they pull through.... laying it down on the track where the force is mainly on one side of the frame could bend those back sub frame bars now because they are no longer connected..... that connection point it USED to have would have distributed the forces to both sides of the subframe... now it won't.
something to think about anyway....
Bob........

Old January 14th, 2023, 08:44 PM   #9
blackiredi
ninjette.org member

Yeah I’m trying to figure out a solution so I don’t get skewered. Not really worried about strength. It’s been down a few times already with no issues and I have a spare bike for parts if worse comes to worse. I was actually thinking about removing the subframe up to the seat mounts then making a one piece tail unit out of the race tail and under tail plastic. Trouble is electronics mounting. And lack of attachment points.

Old January 15th, 2023, 02:16 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Skewered is the Right word there ! reminds me of something that happened to me when I was around 15 yrs old.... I was flying down our dirt road going as fast as that little bike would go and being a old logging road it wasn't a good road at all.. it had loose rocks all over it and some were quite big...
well, one thing lead to another and I hit a big rock which threw me and the bike into the ditch doing about 54mph.... and it just so happened that the clutch lever on that honda 90cc had no ball on the end of it as it had gotten busted off years ago.... well when I finally came to rest after sliding and still trying to keep the bike upright it finally bucked me off and started stomping on me out of spite ! when the dust settled I found myself laying there doing a self inspection to see if I was ok or not ..I didn't feel any sharp pain except on my arms legs and hip but none of those felt serious so I sat up and looked at the siduation... the left handle bar were pressed against my upper thy.... and I knoticed that the clutch lever was sticking into my crotch through my pants !
this was very unsettling to see ! I very carefully picked up the bike by that one handle bar and scooched out from under it and set it back down.... no blood....well that was a good sign ! I stood up and imediately dropped my pants to double check stuff and although I did have a scratch i was not skewered ! and I breathed a sigh of relief ! ....
that one caught me off guard ! soooooo close to ending my fatherhood it wasn't even funny.... believe me you don't want to tempt fate as fate is a very rude mistress !
Remember Murfies law states that if it can go wrong, it will go wrong ! and at the worst possible time !
Bob......

Old January 15th, 2023, 12:28 PM   #11
blackiredi
ninjette.org member