ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 20th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #1
br1ckd
ninjette.org newbie

Name: br1ckd

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250

Installing camshafts and timing chain guides

I tore down the top end of my engine but I can't get the cams back on. Once I set the timing and pull all the slack in the timing chain to the intake side of the engine and I start tightening the brackets that hold the cams down, the chain is pulled off the cam towards the exhaust side of the engine (pic below). I think it might be caused by the front/exhaust cam chain guide being installed incorrectly. I'm using a Haynes service manual and this guide, but they both just say to install it and don't say how, so I just dropped it in the engine in front of the cam chain. I did find a parts diagram, so I know I didn't put it in backwards or upside-down, though.

br1ckd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #2
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

Step #1: Rotate crank to TDC for cylinder 1.
Step #2: Install cams with the cam chain as tight as possible on the exhaust side (with cam chain tensioner removed). Use cam caps with light torque to hold them in place
Step #3: Tighten cam caps to spec & install cam chain tensioner.
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #3
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Need to get a timing degree wheel.

If the timing chain is old it looks like the chain is stretched. if you line up off the exh the int will be out and the opposite the other way. this is where adjustable cam timing int and exh will come in handy.

If its a new timing chain degree off the int side. Rotate the internals from tdc two or three times from the crankshaft and see what degree timing is out after that. Then adjust the valve clearance after that.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1ckd View Post
I tore down the top end of my engine but I can't get the cams back on. Once I set the timing and pull all the slack in the timing chain to the intake side of the engine and I start tightening the brackets that hold the cams down, the chain is pulled off the cam towards the exhaust side of the engine (pic below). I think it might be caused by the front/exhaust cam chain guide being installed incorrectly. I'm using a Haynes service manual and this guide, but they both just say to install it and don't say how, so I just dropped it in the engine in front of the cam chain. I did find a parts diagram, so I know I didn't put it in backwards or upside-down, though.
It is very important that the brackets go back to the exact position and orientation that they originally had, since the journals are machined after those assemblies are in place.

You can remove all the tension from the chain by removing the chain tensioner and then installing each camshaft with no care about angular position or synchrony.

Align the sprockets by the manual, install the chain guard and then the cam chain tensioner.

Please, read these:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...01&postcount=4

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...2&postcount=18

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM   #5
br1ckd
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
Step #1: Rotate crank to TDC for cylinder 1.
Step #2: Install cams with the cam chain as tight as possible on the exhaust side (with cam chain tensioner removed). Use cam caps with light torque to hold them in place
Step #3: Tighten cam caps to spec & install cam chain tensioner.
The service manual and link I posted both say it should be done with cylinder 2 at TDC. Other than that, that's exactly what I've been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It is very important that the brackets go back to the exact position and orientation that they originally had, since the journals are machined after those assemblies are in place.

You can remove all the tension from the chain by removing the chain tensioner and then installing each camshaft with no care about angular position or synchrony.

Align the sprockets by the manual, install the chain guard and then the cam chain tensioner.
That's what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
Need to get a timing degree wheel.

If the timing chain is old it looks like the chain is stretched. if you line up off the exh the int will be out and the opposite the other way. this is where adjustable cam timing int and exh will come in handy.

If its a new timing chain degree off the int side. Rotate the internals from tdc two or three times from the crankshaft and see what degree timing is out after that. Then adjust the valve clearance after that.
It's an old chain, I'll measure how much it's stretched later today. What's a timing degree wheel?

Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM   #6
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
also ready this post: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229378

It is difficult to get the chain to settle while tightening the caps back down....

Tighten a few turns, check the chain on the sprocket, then tighten some more.

Sometimes it's not just a drop-in and tighten situation.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:06 PM   #7
br1ckd
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
also ready this post: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229378

It is difficult to get the chain to settle while tightening the caps back down....

Tighten a few turns, check the chain on the sprocket, then tighten some more.

Sometimes it's not just a drop-in and tighten situation.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it this weekend.

Old June 26th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #8
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1ckd View Post
The service manual and link I posted both say it should be done with cylinder 2 at TDC. Other than that, that's exactly what I've been doing.

That's what I did.

It's an old chain, I'll measure how much it's stretched later today. What's a timing degree wheel?
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...w=1680&bih=921
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote