ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #1
kkim

DIY- Installing Zartan's Exhaust Hanger

First off, thank you to Starla for the great customer service and the effort she and her husband have gone through to develop a hanger just for our bikes.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7x2ni/e...ngerninja250r/

Tools needed for install... 6mm Allen head bit, 17mm socket and wrench, six pack of thinking material.

Picked up the package from the post office this morning.

Oh, oh... postal service at work.... doesn't look good... have a beer.

Whew... contents inspected and all looks to have survived... have another beer to calm myself down.

this is what is included in the package...

okay... time to get busy installing this puppy... wait, what does it weigh?? Keep in mind I bought the powder coated steel black brace. They also sell an aluminum version that weighs about half as much if you are interested in saving a few more ounces.

Okay... now let's get busy w/ the install...

Bike up on stand to show the before...

Use a 6mm Allen bit to remove the 2 bolts holding the left side passenger foot peg bracket.

left side removed... whew, time to have another beer... this is exhausting.

continued on next post... whew... and time to have another beer...
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #2
kkim

Next, move over to the right side of the bike and remove the bolt that holds your muffler to the passenger bracket. Whew, all that moving deserves a beer...

and next, remove the passenger bracket using the 6mm bit...

put the hex head bolts you took off the old bracket and put it through your new hanger. I elected to put the spacer washers that's included on the back side so it ends up between the hanger and the frame when installed.

tighten up the hex head bolts and you should be left with this...

follow the directions included with the hanger to select the hardware designed for your bike to properly install the hanger. This a pic with the included spacers and bolt in place being tightened up.

I tightened the bolt (17mm) while holding the nut (17mm) and tightened the assembly till the rubber spacer started looking like the Michelin man's fat fold...

Don't worry about the nut backing off. A nylock nut is included which precludes any chance of the nut coming loose. I'll drink to that...

After tightening the muffler up, I noticed the muffler sitting very close to the swing arm. To space it out, I pulled the muffler outward to gently bend the hanger a bit so the muffler would have enough clearance from the swing arm. Pic of the muffler after adjusting it for clearance.

So, you're done!

This is the result w/ the new hanger.

and a "before shot for comparison...

"

Last, the stock brackets and peg weight...

Losing 2 pounds never looked so good!

Kudos to zartan for making this product. It's fits perfect, is well thought out and installation was a breeze with no hidden problems. I think the removal of the passenger pegs and brackets really cleans up the bike and looks great. Now to get busy and relocate that rear brake reservoir.

installation could be done in ten minutes if you don't stop too often to take pictures and drink too much beer.

speaking of too much beer... scuse' me...

Old November 27th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Felix
ninjette.org member

Name: Felix

Motorcycle(s): 08 ZX6R

Pure sexyness... love this bit of gear, really makes the rear of the bike look different.

Felix
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #4
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Hi Gang,
Just an FYI. I am offering free US shipping for the Hangers til Christmas. That's 8 bucks off. But you need to order off my direct site and not the ebay one.

Ebay is tooooooo expensive. And they raised their prices a few months back for seller. yikes. Makes it hard to give discounts

so go here, tell a friend
Direct site is here:

Old December 18th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
Hi Gang,
Just an FYI. I am offering free US shipping for the Hangers til Christmas. That's 8 bucks off. But you need to order off my direct site and not the ebay one.

Ebay is tooooooo expensive. And they raised their prices a few months back for seller. yikes. Makes it hard to give discounts

so go here, tell a friend
Direct site is here:

Done and done.

Can you send the hardware for stock AND a Two Bros full exhaust?
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #6
zartan

done and done Should fit. I have sold to lots of folks. Mine and TR's Yoshi are fat buggers and it fits. I used an extra spacer for the nut clearance on my lowered bike just to be sure. Love a pict and feedback on the fit. cheers.
Will go out Friday tomorrow,
you should hopefully have it by Tuesday. 2-3 day priority. AND just because it is the holidays I will throw in a whole two bros. exhaust.. haha not really.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:36 PM   #7
zartan

Bumping because I have 4 seconds out of my latest batch. Paint not perfect minor, I am just real picky about the powdercoating paint. I will sell for 50 SHIPPED - that is 18 dollars off the 60+ 8 shipping. so holler if you are interested in a PM and I will paypal you an invoice. Complete hardware is included.
Don't order the off of my site or ebay because it won't give you the
2'nds discount. Only 4 available at this price. pm ok

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #8
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Just bought one of Zartans 2nds. Sent me a picture of the product before I bought it just to see how bad the powdercoating was and if I could live with it. All I have to say is talk about quality control...the discrepancy was barely there! So i would advise anyone who wants one to save themselves 10 bucks and the shipping and pick a Zartan exhaust hanger up today! But if you don't wanna buy a "2nd" the price is still totally worth it just by what I can tell from the quality control
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #9
zartan

Thanks for the kind words

Old April 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #10
CaliGirl
Curiosity is a Killer

Name: CG

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Any one have pics of this hanger with a stock exhaust?

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #11
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

I'm interested in a "2nd" cheaper one. let me know if available.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #12
zartan

PM Sent!! I have second's kits left.

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #13
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

I just got my "2nd" in the mail from Zartan. From what I can tell there may be a few molecules that are off, but I didn't feel like breaking out my electron microscope to verify. To the naked human eye it looks perfect. This is an awesome product with super fast shipping. I can't wait to get it on the bike! Thanks Zartan.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #14
zartan

yea !!!and so glad you are HAPPY
One second left !!

Old April 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM   #15
Jiu Jitsu Player

I installed the hangar yesterday. Everything looks great but I had a hell of a time trying to get the stock muffler lined up with the hole on the hangar to put the bolt through. I really had to apply a lot of upward pressure to get them to align and put the bolt in. Once I got it in everything seemed ok. I don't think it has anything to do with the hangar since I held it over the stock hangar and they lined up almost identically. I'm a little worried about the upward stress that is being placed on the muffler. I know the stock is aluminum but Im planning on replacing it with a CF exhaust in a few days and I dont know if I want to put that kind of upward pressure on the new exhaust for fear of it breaking. Is it normally this hard to get the holes to align? Anyone else had any experience with this?

www.7milesdown.com

Old April 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM   #16
CaliGirl
Curiosity is a Killer

Name: CG

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Player View Post
I installed the hangar yesterday. Everything looks great but I had a hell of a time trying to get the stock muffler lined up with the hole on the hangar to put the bolt through. I really had to apply a lot of upward pressure to get them to align and put the bolt in. Once I got it in everything seemed ok. I don't think it has anything to do with the hangar since I held it over the stock hangar and they lined up almost identically. I'm a little worried about the upward stress that is being placed on the muffler. I know the stock is aluminum but Im planning on replacing it with a CF exhaust in a few days and I dont know if I want to put that kind of upward pressure on the new exhaust for fear of it breaking. Is it normally this hard to get the holes to align? Anyone else had any experience with this?

I had the same issue trying to install the hanger with my stock exhaust. I didn't want to force it, so I didn't put it on. I don't understand cause the hanger lines up perfectly with the stock bracket. I was hoping someone else would chime in about their install with a stock exhaust, but no one besides you has.

Old April 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Jiu Jitsu Player

At least I know Im not the only one. I dont think too many other people have picked this up to use with just the stocker though. I should be getting a new exhaust in the mail sometime this week. I'll let you know how that install goes. This maybe a problem that only happens with the stock pipe....

www.7milesdown.com

Old April 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM   #18
kkim

Try loosening the clamp used to mount the muffler to the header. Adjust and see if the muffler will line up better with the hanger. position into place until you are satisfied, then retighten that clamp, then tighten the bolt for the hanger.

exhaust systems rarely line up perfectly and some adjustment to get them on perfectly may be needed.

Old April 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM   #19
Jiu Jitsu Player

Thanks Kelly. As usual you come through! I'll check that out when I get home.

www.7milesdown.com

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM   #20
zartan

Hi, Thanks for the feedback guys. You can always pm me or email me with any issues.... Sorry I did not see this sooner.

KKIM thank so much for you helping out.

I mounted them with both stock and aftermarket pipes on both my and TR's bike to test fit. And yes We did not tighten everything up until positioned. THEN the last thing is to tighten the clamp.

If this still does not work, I need to know asap thanks so much! I want feedback!!! zartan1@verizon.net

Quote:
Try loosening the clamp used to mount the muffler to the header. Adjust and see if the muffler will line up better with the hanger. position into place until you are satisfied, then retighten that clamp, then tighten the bolt for the hanger.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM   #21
tjbrien
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I just finished the install with a stock exhaust. If ya loosen the muffler clamp then insert and snug up the hanger bolt then tighten both it aligns itself.

The question I have is what can I use to fill the holes for the bolts that secured the left passenger foot bracket. I put the original bolts back in but they stick out because of the shoulder on the bolt. I'm not sure which looks worse the empty holes or the bolts so I thought I would ask the creative and clever folks at Ninjette.org
tjbrien is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #22
zartan

Perfect opportunity to create some bling Thanks for the install feedback glad it fit well!

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbrien View Post
I just finished the install with a stock exhaust. If ya loosen the muffler clamp then insert and snug up the hanger bolt then tighten both it aligns itself.

The question I have is what can I use to fill the holes for the bolts that secured the left passenger foot bracket. I put the original bolts back in but they stick out because of the shoulder on the bolt. I'm not sure which looks worse the empty holes or the bolts so I thought I would ask the creative and clever folks at Ninjette.org
trying to find a pic of what i mean, but they sell black plastic plugs. the side that shows looks like a disk which would be near fllush to the metal. the side that would stick into the screw hole is kind of serrated so that it doesn't slip out. that would hide the screw hole pretty good. you know what i am talking about? kind of hard to describe without a pic.

something like this, but this isn't the one i am talking about: http://www.allianceplastics.com/rdg

edit: ok, i can't find it, but i drew a pic of what i am talking about. btw, it is really hard to draw with a mouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic hole cover.jpg (15.7 KB, 2 views)
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM   #24
tjbrien
ninjette.org newbie

Great idea Sound wave! I know exactly what ya mean, I've seen them I just can't remember where. As a short term solution I put in some button head allen screws.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:09 PM   #25
zartan

Trying to think of something that won't look goofy. Maybe I should design a decal for that side Plate.

Or a cell phone holder haha!! or reach down and grab your cup of joe??

i just put the stock bolts back in mine and I am really OCD --after awhile I chilled on it.

But now you got me shaking again

Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM   #26
tjbrien
ninjette.org newbie

Sorry about the shaking, a decal's not a bad idea. If ya could get the Ninja typeface, have the letters horizontal but the word ninja ascending to the right.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM   #27
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

hmm... autozone has something like it. i was picturing a flatter disc, but i am sure they would work. not sure if they sell them in packs of less than 10 though. they probably have other styles too.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=623660

edit: actually, you could also just get a sheet of a flat black vinyl sticker. cut it and match the metal bracket exactly. place it over and then no more holes and a really clean look.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM   #28
kkim

I put a sturdy tie wrap in one of the holes to act as the anchor point for the bungeee cord for my tail bag.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #29
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

kkim i'm starting to wonder if you have anything stock left on your bike....just teasing
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #30
Jiu Jitsu Player

Just use some electrical tape. That's what I used on the fender elim holes for the turn signals after I switched to flush mounts.it may sound ghetto but its doesn't look bad and its really hard to tell unless you get up really close.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #31
tjbrien
ninjette.org newbie

I sawed off the button head allen screws so they don't stick out past the flange they're screwed into and painted them black last night. Looking better but I'm going to look into the plastic plugs this week.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #32
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

i saw the plugs at a local hardware store. i would guess that lowe's and home depot has them too. it was in the nuts and bolts section.

Old April 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #33
Bo0stZomb13
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

I know its old but can you still get this hanger?
Bo0stZomb13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #34
kkim

I believe so... send a PM to zartan.

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #35
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo0stZomb13 View Post
I know its old but can you still get this hanger?
I have one new in the package, $30 shipped to your door.

Old April 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #36
zartan

Yes pM cochese.. that is a good deal for sure.
I am not sure if I am running a new batch this year.

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #37
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
Yes pM cochese.. that is a good deal for sure.
I am not sure if I am running a new batch this year.
Thanks, Starla!

In the event I can't locate the accompanying bolts and nuts in my garage, can you provide the specs for those?

I assume they are standard and readily available at ACE/HD/Lowes for a few bucks?

Old April 25th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #38
zartan

I can get you specs on hardware, the rubber bushing is something I get from a suspension co. but NAPA carries something similar 2 in a package for 5 bucks. let me know if you can't find the parts.

Old April 26th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #39
kkim

Starla... you're one class act!!

it's been over 2 years since I first installed your hanger and still use it to this day without any problems.

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #40
zartan

Thx KKim, back at ya!