ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #1
cbowman78
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

3mm washer for shimming??

Hey guys,

I have been a lurker for a bit and its time to rejet the bike. I am just going to use the Keihin 100 main jets, with washers totalling .05" to start.

Is it necessary to use stainless washers so I do not have to worry about any impurities from corroded washers years down the road (Yes I am looking way ahead)?

And sorry, as your going to tell me to search... But can I use a 4mm washer as these are readily available to me. I have not found any mention of this when I have searched.

I really appreciate all responses! Thanks!
cbowman78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
kkim

3mm washers or SAE #4 washers if you can find them. 4mm is too big. stainless if you can find them, but steel washers with a bit of grease on them should work fine.

stick with the 98 mains for now. change to the 100s in the future if you think you need them. bigger is not better. remove snorkel and the bike will pull from idle to redline smoothly.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...&highlight=3mm

I see from your intro thread you're installing a AP QC exhaust. Start w/ 3 shims. That worked for me when I had that setup.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10208
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
cbowman78
ninjette.org member

Thanks for posting kkim.

I am very new to carbs. The reason I wanted to go to the Keihin 100 mains is due to the full exhaust and removal of the snorkel. With the full exhaust should I not jump up to the 100 mains? I see that it is very common.

So if I remove the snorkel with my exhaust, I should just stay with the 98 mains and 3 washers to start? What should be the clear indicator that I need to move up a a main jet size?

I actually have the full Area P exhaust (12") on the bike now, but have a quiet core muffler on order from Kerry (And I can see why everyone says he is #1 in customer service). He was great to deal with!! The bike is just way too loud for me at the moment.

I am going to read and review the links you have attached to learn.

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
kkim

Clint,

The 98 main jets that come on a stock bike are a bit rich to begin with. When you add a free running exhaust and remove the snorkel, the added airflow that these changes bring make the 98s just about right with the added airflow. I'm not saying the 100s are not the correct jet for your bike, but the 98s are close enough to start with. I ran 98s with the setup you're moving towards and had no problems. Every bike differs as correct/proper jetting is location dependent/bike specific. At any rate, I think you'll enjoy the changes rejetting will bring.

How to select the proper main jet...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...ng#Carb_Tuning

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #5
cbowman78
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Clint,

The 98 main jets that come on a stock bike are a bit rich to begin with. When you add a free running exhaust and remove the snorkel, the added airflow that these changes bring make the 98s just about right with the added airflow. I'm not saying the 100s are not the correct jet for your bike, but the 98s are close enough to start with. I ran 98s with the setup you're moving towards and had no problems. Every bike differs as correct/proper jetting is location dependent/bike specific. At any rate, I think you'll enjoy the changes rejetting will bring.

How to select the proper main jet...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...ng#Carb_Tuning

Thanks for all the info. As soon as I get my hands on some washers, they are going in. I will update with how that turns out.

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbowman78 View Post
Thanks for all the info. As soon as I get my hands on some washers, they are going in. I will update with how that turns out.
cool!

I'd highly recommend using some JIS screwdrivers.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49003

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #7
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I'm running 2 #4 washers on the main jets and I got rid of the snorkel and my bike seems to run great. The choke even does its job now.
Ya, let us know how it goes

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
I'm running 2 #4 washers on the main jets and I got rid of the snorkel and my bike seems to run great. The choke even does its job now.
Ya, let us know how it goes
I'm sure you mean under the needles?

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #9
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm sure you mean under the needles?
yes lol my bike lingo not so good haha.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #10
kkim

for clarity...