ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 18th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Do you think this is a good buy?

Here is the link to the post: http://lafayette.craigslist.org/mcy/4417803554.html

I do not really know if I would like to pay that much for the bike, I did not give him any prices or offers yet and I want to see this Sunday. What do you guys think?
Smallxmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #2
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Seems alright to me, but is the salvage title going to be a problem?

Old April 18th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

The salvaged title does kinda worry me, but he said what was listed in the post was the only problems, but it had to been worst for it to have fully salvaged the title...

Old April 18th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Not necessarily. Insurance will total a bike if the cost of the repair exceeds a certain percentage of the value (at least here in nevada). The repair is usually priced to bring it back to showroom shiny, and those plastics from Kawi are not cheap, so the estimate is higher than what you would expect.

The bent left handlebar and the broken brake lever sound a little bit more than just a simple drop though.

With 13k on the odometer, I'd be more interested in its service history. That's just above average for a '12 so how the owner treated it and rode it during those miles will probably give you a better sense of the condition vs having a salvage title.

If you've a mind for a project and are willing to work on any quirks, I personally don't think it's a bad price as long as the whole bike checks out and that really is the only damage. However, if you are wanting something with no muss no fuss then might be better to keep looking.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

I talked to him again today, He seemed to have sold it because he did not think I was serious about it...

Old April 18th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if the current owner re-registers it, it is worth about 2200 with the fairing and exhaust and bar damage. if he doesn't re-register it, no more than 1700.

Old April 18th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #7
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

Is that a good price? Absolutely not.

There was a similar bike here with half the miles and no salvage title for sale. The woman had moved up to a 600cc or so and wanted someone to take over the payments. I don't remember the exact number but is was less than $3K.

ANY salvage/rebuilt title is worth HALF AT BEST of the actual value. I will NEVER buy another vehicle with a rebuilt title unless I can give less than half the value of a non rebuilt vehicle and I will have to want the vehicle pretty badly.

Keep looking. You will run across a deal. Have you been on BayouShooters.com or BugOutWhale.com? many of those dudes ride and would be willing to help you look.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #8
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Not a good deal.

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #9
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Oh hells no!

Deal of lifetime comes once a week, so keep looking.
The bike chooses the rider.

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #10
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Probably for the best. Title issues are no fun and there could have been more wrong with it.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallxmac View Post
The salvaged title does kinda worry me, but he said what was listed in the post was the only problems, but it had to been worst for it to have fully salvaged the title...
Be very careful with Salvage titles. You might want to look up the regulations where you live, but salvage titles can't be put back onto the road here. It would make a great track bike, but could never be a street bike again.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Vad18
ninjette.org member

Name: Vadim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
Be very careful with Salvage titles. You might want to look up the regulations where you live, but salvage titles can't be put back onto the road here. It would make a great track bike, but could never be a street bike again.
You sure you are not mixing up "junk" title and "salvage" title? A salvage is usually a vehicle that has been damaged or totaled and was reported to the insurance company. Since this is a bike, just dropping the bike (damaging fairings etc) and reporting could make it a salvage, but could still be legal. And on the other side, it could be destroyed and fixed and still be rode on the street. Only thing with salvages is that the price is usually 30-50% lower than if it would have been a clean title.

Junk is similar, but Junk titles are worse then salvage titles..That means junk yard only. The vehicle may be used only for parts or scrap metal. It cannot be re-titled or returned to the road using the existing vehicle identification number. In WA you can sometimes still register junk titled vehicles, but you would need to be with the seller and have the vehicle inspected by the WSP. But this may not work with all states.

EDIT: Also 2500 for that bike is nuts! Don't even think about it. Here you can get a good condition CLEAN title bike, with lower miles for 2500-3000. That bike that he is selling should go for 1800 max, and that is if its in good condition.
Vad18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #13
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Don't ever kick yourself for missing out on a sale, a better deal is always out there. This was not a particularly good deal so no need to regret it. Use this experience to better prepare yourself so that you know when you find a great deal you will know it and be prepare to act on it immeduately. The great deals will sell fast.

Old April 19th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the advise , Sorry i could not reply more I'm on vacation. I thought it was not a good deal, I think I might wait a few more months when I have some more money and look for one around the same price. My parents really did not want me to get one, after they said no I started buying gear and I got them to let me take the MSF, So if anyone had a similar case with your parents, just prove you are a responsible teenager and you are not going to get a bike to show off and you wont be a squid. Anyway that was a bit off topic. Like I said I think I will just go back and look when I have about $3000. Thanks for the advise again!

Old April 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad18 View Post
You sure you are not mixing up "junk" title and "salvage" title? A salvage is usually a vehicle that has been damaged or totaled and was reported to the insurance company. Since this is a bike, just dropping the bike (damaging fairings etc) and reporting could make it a salvage, but could still be legal. And on the other side, it could be destroyed and fixed and still be rode on the street. Only thing with salvages is that the price is usually 30-50% lower than if it would have been a clean title.

Junk is similar, but Junk titles are worse then salvage titles..That means junk yard only. The vehicle may be used only for parts or scrap metal. It cannot be re-titled or returned to the road using the existing vehicle identification number. In WA you can sometimes still register junk titled vehicles, but you would need to be with the seller and have the vehicle inspected by the WSP. But this may not work with all states.

EDIT: Also 2500 for that bike is nuts! Don't even think about it. Here you can get a good condition CLEAN title bike, with lower miles for 2500-3000. That bike that he is selling should go for 1800 max, and that is if its in good condition.
Like I said, check out the rules in your own jurisdiction.

Here's the wording from our department of transportation.

3. My motorcycle has a brand in another jurisdiction. Now I want to register it in Ontario. What will happen?
All imported motorcycles previously branded “salvage”, “rebuilt” or an equivalent brand will be branded “irreparable” when registered in Ontario. This means that the vehicle will never be eligible to be driven on Ontario’s roads.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #16
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Every state is going to be different, much less another country.

The state of TN issues a salvage title when something is totaled, physically or economically. If you repair said vehicle to factory standards and the state signs off on it they will issue a rebuilt title so you cannot lie about the vehicle having been repaired. Iow, the vehicle should and probably is a s good as it was before but it kills the value. Again, this is the state of TN.

Your state may differ.

It sounds like you have a great plan. Have you tried to find a club or friends that would allow you to rent or ride as many different bikes as possible? Can you take a second MSF or other course? Can you work at a dealership, earn more money and demo as many different bikes as possible?

The cash approach keeps you out of debt and gives you the power of cash in your hand. When bargaining it is a powerful tool. Another thing I have done numerous times is to contact a seller and politely ask if they are considering low ball offers for cash w/o giving that number until they say it's okay. I think that saves both parties time and allows the owner to save face. Most of the time they say no, but you get a great deal the one time they say yes.

Hang in there.

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #17
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Every state is going to be different, much less another country.

The state of TN issues a salvage title when something is totaled, physically or economically. If you repair said vehicle to factory standards and the state signs off on it they will issue a rebuilt title so you cannot lie about the vehicle having been repaired. Iow, the vehicle should and probably is a s good as it was before but it kills the value. Again, this is the state of TN.

Your state may differ.

It sounds like you have a great plan. Have you tried to find a club or friends that would allow you to rent or ride as many different bikes as possible? Can you take a second MSF or other course? Can you work at a dealership, earn more money and demo as many different bikes as possible?

The cash approach keeps you out of debt and gives you the power of cash in your hand. When bargaining it is a powerful tool. Another thing I have done numerous times is to contact a seller and politely ask if they are considering low ball offers for cash w/o giving that number until they say it's okay. I think that saves both parties time and allows the owner to save face. Most of the time they say no, but you get a great deal the one time they say yes.

Hang in there.
Counting the fact I am only 16 getting a job at the dealer ship would be a bit hard maybe, unless they need someone who is very knowable about computers. I talked with people, though I'm scared to demo a bike due to the fact I am a new rider and most people would not let me anyway.

Old April 20th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #18
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallxmac View Post
Counting the fact I am only 16 getting a job at the dealer ship would be a bit hard maybe, unless they need someone who is very knowable about computers. I talked with people, though I'm scared to demo a bike due to the fact I am a new rider and most people would not let me anyway.
If you have knowledge and great work ethics you have value. Learn to sell yourself and love everyday, even the bad ones and you will go far.

Now go put together a plan to talk with those dealerships about sweeping and mopping, website whatever or some other horse trading. It may not be easy to get your foot in the door but someone with excellent work ethics can find a way in.

Old April 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the advise, the job would be a 20 min drive and it would mean I have to quit my current job at a food place, I will see what I can do