Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old April 20th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - Real Racers: Sam Romick

Tweet
Sam Romick is ready to take his riding to the next level – sanctioned racing. I’m following him around for the next few weeks to find out what it really takes to go that extra mile to prepare and participate in an endurance race.

Sam “Flamingo Legs” Romick is a familiar face around the NorCal canyons, but in the last couple years he has decided*he’d rather push on to the next level and race. I think a lot of us would, but the leap from canyon rat to racer is no small feat. Last year Sam was riding the track for first time on his old Yamaha FZR600. A few months later he won the lottery by stumbling into a sponsorship for a GSXR600 race bike for the weekend, placed top-ten in all of his races and finished 2nd in 750 Superbike novice. This year he’s managing what he can on his own, going for a novice class championship with his regional club, the AFM.

Photo By: Sam Romick

By trade Sam is an avionics technician, installing radio and electronic equipment into private airplanes. His DIY mechanical inclination has lent itself to motorcycling in a number of ways: He’s able to do all of his own maintenance and mechanic work, save a few bucks by fabricating a $20 quick-shifter and piece together $2 toe sliders for his Dainese Torque Race Out Motorcycle Boots. It’s because of this he can just about afford racing.

Photo by Sam Romick

In the opening round of AFM this season he’s already acquired three second place trophies, and a first place trophy. Sam this year is competing as a novice in 650 Production, 650 twins, Clubman Lightweight, and Formula 4— all on the most accessible entry-point into motorcycling and road-racing, the almighty Suzuki SV650. That’s a lot of racing on a small budget!

Photo by Sam Romick

Being a production racebike his SV is largely stock, as many parts aren’t allowed to be upgraded. The wheels and forks must be stock, for instance, but can revalve or change the internals. In the rear there’s a Penske shock. Engine work is limited to some top-end, but Sam’s motor is stock. Down on power, suspension-work, and a bike that “forum fanbois” say won’t fit his 6’5” stature, Sam is expected to somehow still manage a successful season.

Photo By: Oxymoron Photography

Club Racing, for all intents and purposes, is*no different than any other kind of racing. The organizers are professional, providing the best corner workers, marshals, ambulances, air fences, and almost every other safety precaution you’d find in AMA Pro or MotoGP. The races are absolutely as competitive and hard-fought, but with shorter races and a few benefits: these racers are home-grown, the shops are from down the street, and just about any bike can be raced. It’s a place to make great friends, battle against them, and then regale eachother with beer and accounts of that winning pass.

Photo By: Oxymoron Photography

To prepare for the upcoming race day Sam will be training hard this week. We had a track day*this past Monday, and will be using cycling for conditioning.*Sam’s thoughts are, “I need to be in shape but stay light, so I’m focusing on being healthy and active, but I know a big part of racing is in your head, so I’m trying to cover it all. I’m doing as much as I can to learn and progress as a racer,* whether it be in the gym, on the track or just in my own head.”

More on that in the next one. Here’s a video of Sam from round one of this year’s AFM Clubman Lightweight.

Click here to view the embedded video.

Round two of this year’s AFM season will be at the same track, on the same days as the Geico Superbike Shootout!*May 3rd and 4th*at Sonoma Raceway, $25 entry for both*Saturday*and*Sunday.

Sam thanks:*Pacific Track Time,**JPH Supension,*Oxymoron Photography, CT Racing/Pirelli Tires,*Haag Performance, Erik Viera, and*Feel Like A Pro

The post Real Racers: Sam Romick appeared first on RideApart.

Related Stories

Click here for full story...