ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #1
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

OCC becomes a Ducati dealer?

So I watch American Chopper for first time since cant remember when. Some guys gone, Jr working part time, but biggest shock was that they opened a Duc dealership. Looks like one of those retail megastores like some of the metrosexual HD dealerships. The kind that draw people with less riding passion than disposable dollars. I could see them selling Buell, but Duc surprised me.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

The weirdest part was one of them or their workers, can't remember whom, mentioned not even knowing who Ducati is. It's kind of a WTF move to me, but I guess they're just going for money.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #3
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Are you serious?
I thought business was good for them.
I guess they have to flow with the economy.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Lars
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
Are you serious?
I thought business was good for them.
I guess they have to flow with the economy.
I think at the end of last season, they had a few layoffs due to the economy. I'd assume business would be terrible for them right now, as people would probably hold off on buying their $24k-$50k motorcycles.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Yea Jr. is openning a botique shop with his girlfriend.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

It's a move by OCC to get money coming in the door since sales of their POS bikes are WAY down.

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

hopefully Ducati USA doesn't screw the closest exisiting dealer to them who lives and breates Duc

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

I'd imagine the type of person who really loves their Ducati is going to stick with the local place- I don't see the sportbike community really loving this move by OCC. It's so odd- I would have expected them to go Harley or Buell or something like that.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I happened by that episode too. I kinda laughed when that Ducati guy said, OCC comes up with things they never thought of ??????
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #10
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I think it's all just part of their big push to start selling their choppers in Europe. While Americans may be a little bored with OCC by now, that's not the case overseas where something as American as a chopper is in big demand. It's no different than Harley offering Europe-only models not available in the states.
I doubt very much that OCC is in any financial trouble. Look at the new headquarters palace they built, the way they're giving out franchises left and right, their personal homes and cars and the huge staff they have now. Doesn't look like anyone is hurting to me and Paul Sr. only recently started talking about laying off maybe ONE person. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been some kind of customer backlash seeing these guys spending their money like water every week with no end in sight.
Hopefully Senior will get his head out of his ass and get Junior back before he starts his own design business, though it would be satisfying to see him dealing with his company losing business because of his stubborn refusal to give his son the credit he deserves for making OCC what it is.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

I agree with the idea of OCC looking to enter Euro market and being a Duc dealer gets them into that market. I don't think a Duc customer will abandon a quality Duc dealer, but will Duc USA go out of their way to do more for the OCC Duc shop as the visibility is huge? First dealer to see a streetfighter for instance.

And what a joke about OCC coming up with things Duc never thought of. duc is busy building great handling bikes with the unique desmo valve train. Not hammering a grinding a front wheel spacer until a wheel is centered between 2 fork tubes.

Old June 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #12
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

American pride! Whoooooo!
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #13
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Duc builds great bikes. OCC also builds great bikes. They don't have to build the same type of bikes to be great. They are both great in their own ways. It's not easy building and fabricating bikes. Give them some support.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #14
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Piss poor move by ducati. While OCC is popular and successful business but their attitudes on TV should have been a turn off for ducati. I wouldn't want someone who acts like that representing what is suposed to be a respectable and high class brand. As for them as a harley dealer I wouldn't see OCC doing that either the key to business is diversification harley is to close to their actual product and may very well take business away from OCC bikes. This makes like 4 dealerships for OCC I believe. Miami, New York, and can't remember the other 2.