ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

performance on really hot days

noticed today my bike was sputtering a little at like 11k+ rpms in like 4th,5th gears.. lower rpms were fine and lower gears i could redline and didnt notice any sputtering. never done that before but it has been EXTREMELY hot and humid the last 2-3 days.. today like low to mid 90's with a heat index of around 100ish.. suppose to have heat index of like 115 come friday! just wandering if this is the cause or should look at a jetting issue with the bike? has full exhaust/110 mains/pod filters.. been fine up until it got really hot out.. at least never sputtered before.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i first noticed this when my 50cc engines seemed to run better when it was colder out... someone who seemed to know what they're were talking about once explained it to me that it had something to do with jetting but i've never been good with that sort of thing. something about when its hotter the pressure of the air is different expands which changes the amount of oxygen that mixes with the fuel, changing the air/fuel ratio... it was over my head... all i know is, when we would tune our carbs at a certain temperature or altitude, when that temp or alt. changed, things got funky

Old July 21st, 2011, 01:55 AM   #3
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Many environmental factors affect the air portion of your jetting (air/fuel ratio). More oxygen means bike runs leaner while less oxygen means bike runs richer.

Hotter temps means air is less dense so less oxygen (bike runs richer).

Humidity is not as big a factor as temp or altitude, but higher humidity also decreases oxygen levels so bike runs richer.

You didn't mention altitude, but that's the other environmental factor. The higher you go up in elevation, the less dense air gets which causes your bike to run richer.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:45 AM   #4
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

yeah im at sea level.. ill wait for the temps to drop a little and see how it runs before i make any changes.. so sputtering would be a sign of too rich then?
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
yeah im at sea level.. ill wait for the temps to drop a little and see how it runs before i make any changes.. so sputtering would be a sign of too rich then?
Is it sputtering or surging? The engine can surge/bog at WOT if it is too rich and sputter if starving for fuel like it is about to cut out. At 11k rpms in 4th & 5th you are approaching max power output anyway. Are you having any power lose?
Look at your plugs and exhaust to see if they are black. From what you describe it sounds like you may be a little rich for conditions.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM   #6
SPG
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

The clue that it is too rich (instead of lean) is that it ran fine at the cooler temps and is less happy in the warm.

My racebike has a wideband O2 sensor (mixture gauge) so I can stay on top of the jetting. I don't have pod filters, just stock box without snorkel, and a full Leo Vince exhaust. I was running a 98 main (stock) for this spring, and dropped it to a 95 as we ease into summer (70 degrees and sea level). I'm still running at 12.5 to 13:0 air/fuel which is rich and about perfect for max power.

Your bike would likely be happier with a 105 main in the summer (and maybe year round).

-Sean
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote