ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:09 AM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

installed A&L Motorsports rearset adjusters. The Good & Bad

So I got my A&L Motorsports rearset adjusters yesterday and got a chance to install them today.

The good: All the parts needed were included. Machine work is good. No burrs or distortions in the AL. After install, my inner thighs aren't rubbing at the ridge of the gas tank.

The bad:

First thing I discovered were the tapped threads where your rearset attaches to are not tapped all the way through. They bottom out just at the edge of the hole. This means that the oem bolt you reuse will stop about 1/4" out. Since it's made of AL, you can likely force the bolts through, but it will definitely strip your screw. I busted out my trusty 8mmx1.25 tap and ran it through. This allowed the oem bolts to bolt all the way in without unnecessary drama.

Second thing, which is pretty crappy is that the mounting holes on the gearshift side is off by about 2mm or so. I didn't measure, but that's pretty close. What this means is that you aren't able to bolt the adjuster to the bike unless you don't mind stripping your bike's threads. The bolts would have to go in crooked. I had to take out my dremel with my favorite carbide bit and remove enough material for the bolts to go in straight. At least I got to try out my new HF bench vise! .

So, it's cheaper than buying a pair of aftermarket rearsets, but not plug and play like you would hope. Considering the cost of aluminum and machine time, the mistake in mounting holes, the price of these adjusters is pretty high.

pix of the problems:

hard to see, but I bolted in the top bolt and the bottom one is misaligned.

I circled the hole that I had to modify.

In this pic, you can see how close the bolt is to the enlargement that I made. It's a good fit after the dremeling I did on it. The top bolt is already in too.

CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:37 AM   #2
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

As disappointing as it may be, the best thing to do, would have been to send them back. A & L needs to know that the product is faulty, and have chance to correct the problem for you.

I like that the end result, was positive, however. I'm waiting to get mine, from Shinto.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:49 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Tri:

Would you mind posting some pics of the overall install on both sides?

Thanks in advance!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM   #4
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Those look like the rearset adjusters I bought from Cycle Control. The Cycle Control product is a higher-quality, better finished product it appears.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM   #5
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
Those look like the rearset adjusters I bought from Cycle Control. The Cycle Control product is a higher-quality, better finished product it appears.
Ummm.... Same product here. They are sold by A&L now.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #6
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Ummm.... Same product here. They are sold by A&L now.
If that is the case, then these may have been a defective set. Either way, probably should have sent them back for replacement or refund instead of making them fit. But hey, hindsight is 20/20 right?

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

The cost to send them back and the hassle to wait for a replacement isn't really worth it. Remember, these are not hand machined, but CNC'ed parts. That means they would need to go back and fix the coordinates in the computer and then make and ship another set. I don't know the history of Cycle Control or A&L, but I'd rather not chance having to wait weeks on end for a part I could have just made work myself.

The amount of material I removed isn't going to affect the part in terms of structure or load. I've been modifying cars for 10 years now and every once in a while, you come across something that needs to be tweaked. It's really not that big of a deal. I just wanted to let people know so that they can make a decision on whether to buy them or not and if they already did, to know what to expect if they run into this same problem.

Personally, I think not running the taps all the way thru is just as bad. If the avg joe doesn't have a tap set with that 8mm x 1.25 tap, he would have to spend a lot more money to have a part that allows for better fitment. If I didn't have the tap set, I might have ended up returning the part.

Jason, I can take good pics when I get home today. I only have my iphone 3gs with me and the pix it takes aren't all that great.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM   #8
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I bought an older set from Daniel (Madcrossover) and he did not mention any problems with the hole alignment or the need for a tap set - granted, I have yet to install them. Wonder if this is a new problem?
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Here are the pix I promised.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM   #10
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Any problems with the supply line, on the master brake cylinder?
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #11
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I zip tied it in a position that would kink the least. I think when I change brake pads, I'll cut the hose. The brake works fine right now tho.

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Dr Honda
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): Buell XB12Ss, Victory Vegas, DRZ400, XR50

Hi Guys,

This is Tony from A&L.

I have a customer who gave me this link to check out.

OK... first... the tapped holes have a taper right at the end of the hole. This is so the bolts will be tight, and there will be no chance of them coming loose. All of the different rearset adapters I sell are like that. In the past, I have only had two other people have a real problem with it. In the past, Ian was shipping these with black, powder coated bolts... and you couldn't get the proper sized hex key in it... and that person rounded off the socket. The other time was when someone was using an ASE wrench. (these are 8mm)

I would prefer to NOT tap them clean though because of liability... but if it's a real problem, I can. I can also clear the threads on request for individual orders.

OK... as far as the bolt alignment...... well............ Yep, that looks like a problem.

I have had one or two new customers ask me about it... and my response was.... "There was a problem with the original batch, but it was fixed last year."

So... before I change the CNC program... is this set from a new batch (from me, A&L) or was this an older set from Ian? (Cycle Control)

One thing Ian and I found, was that there was a inconsistencies (1mm ~2mm) from the factory on the mounting locations. (may be from different manufacturing points)

I guess the easy solution would be to over drill the mounting holes by a 1mm. Right now, it's drilled with an 8.2mm drill. The easy solution would be to use a 9mm drill. That would give a 1mm allowance.

CThunder-blue............

Are you in the USA? If you are... would you be willing to test fit a new plate, and let me know if it fits your bike?
Dr Honda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Wow, I was just reading this old thread and hoping someone was having a similar issue to me...glad to see it got revived. I ordered the rearset adjusters a month or so ago and went to go slap em on the bike last night and they aren't even close to fitting to the stock rearset location. The mounting holes in the adjusters are too small for the bolts I currently have on the bike. Does anyone know what size the stock bolts are supposed to be? Im thinking I may have larger than normal hardware holding the sets on. Thanks!
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #14
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Tony,
My set was ordered from you (A&L), and I did have to make the mounting holes slightly larger to mount to the frame. I didn't measure, but making the hole a little larger may help.

As far as the threaded holes, I was worried about destroying the threads when I hit the tapered part. After reading that CThunder tapped his, I decided that was probably the best option.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #15
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Hi Guys,

This is Tony from A&L.

I have a customer who gave me this link to check out.

OK... first... the tapped holes have a taper right at the end of the hole. This is so the bolts will be tight, and there will be no chance of them coming loose. All of the different rearset adapters I sell are like that. In the past, I have only had two other people have a real problem with it. In the past, Ian was shipping these with black, powder coated bolts... and you couldn't get the proper sized hex key in it... and that person rounded off the socket. The other time was when someone was using an ASE wrench. (these are 8mm)

I would prefer to NOT tap them clean though because of liability... but if it's a real problem, I can. I can also clear the threads on request for individual orders.

OK... as far as the bolt alignment...... well............ Yep, that looks like a problem.

I have had one or two new customers ask me about it... and my response was.... "There was a problem with the original batch, but it was fixed last year."

So... before I change the CNC program... is this set from a new batch (from me, A&L) or was this an older set from Ian? (Cycle Control)

One thing Ian and I found, was that there was a inconsistencies (1mm ~2mm) from the factory on the mounting locations. (may be from different manufacturing points)

I guess the easy solution would be to over drill the mounting holes by a 1mm. Right now, it's drilled with an 8.2mm drill. The easy solution would be to use a 9mm drill. That would give a 1mm allowance.

CThunder-blue............

Are you in the USA? If you are... would you be willing to test fit a new plate, and let me know if it fits your bike?
Hi Tony! Yes, that is my bike. I'd be happy to test fit a new plate if you want. Installation is pretty simple after all. The adapter set I got was purchased from you. I live in California.

Here's the paypal transaction:
Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 0Y3198581D673802H)

Sent to:
Anthony Ferraro (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
Email:
sell4aro@comcast.net

Amount sent:
-$76.49 USD
Fee amount:
$0.00 USD
Net amount:
-$76.49 USD

Date:
Nov 24, 2010
Time:
15:30:32 PST
Completed

Subject:
Anthony Ferraro
Note:
08-09 250r rearset adjusters
Funding Type:
PayPal Balance
Funding Source:
$76.49 USD - PayPal Account

------------------------------------------------

Concerning using a 9mm drill; I'm not sure if that would be the best solution. I think if you could machine an oval in the same size (8.2mm), that would be the best. Using a larger drill bit would introduce slop in the adapter and allow the bolt to swim in the hole.

I would definitely have liked the threads to go all the way through. I've stripped a few threads in my life time and I hate having that feeling of unnecessary force to thread the bolts in. I've been riding steadily for 4 months since the adapter install and have not had a problem with the bolts coming loose or anything. If people really concerned about it, they can always use blue loctite.

Old April 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #16
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I just recieved these today and installed them. It took me under a half hour and I had no problems..other than having to adjust the brake hose and put it in the right spot.
I was a little worried after reading some threads here about them not lining up, but I had to do nothing but use a little force when screwing to make sure they don't vibrate loose and they were just fine. I went for a ride and combined with my woodcraft clipons I just put on they've made such an improvement. Now the bike feels like a real sport bike, it feels as if your sitting on it, rather than in it like a chair.
Thanks Tony, satisfied customer here. Saved me from spending over 250 on rearsets, because in the end I just wanted to change the positioning more than anything else.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #17
Dr Honda
ninjette.org member

OK... it looks like there are some differences in the mounting holes on these bikes. I will make a new prototype, with a slightly, slotted bottom hole, and we will get it tested. That way... it will fit all of them.

Sorry for the problems guys.

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #18
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

For the record, my rearset adjusters themselves look like they would mount up fine. The problem I'm having is that the 2 holes that are supposed to be mounted to the frame are not the right size for my specific bike. They are roughly a mm too small. Looks like my PO retapped the mounts on the bike and put the stock sets in with new hardware. Oh well, Im going to see if a machine shop can re-drill the adjusters for me.

Old April 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #19
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
Looks like my PO retapped the mounts on the bike and put the stock sets in with new hardware. Oh well, Im going to see if a machine shop can re-drill the adjusters for me.
Why is your Parole Officer working on your bike?

Old April 7th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #20
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

He's a good guy and handy with a wrench?

PO=Previous Owner if you weren't being sarcastic

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #21
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

tag.

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #22
Dr Honda
ninjette.org member

The new plates have been made, and there is a group buy started in the for sale section. Right now, we are shooting for 20% off. (if you are interested)