Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
High Speed Braking

I'm comfortable doing heavy braking when travelling up to 50mph. I progressively squeeze the front brake lever until it's biting as hard as I want it too and then hold it there. I don't know what extra considerations I need to make for high speed braking though. When travelling on motorways I'll be going as little as 60MPH and as high as 90MPH (indicated).

So far I haven't actually needed to touch my brakes while travelling at those high speeds. I adjust my speed using the throttle alone and only start using the brakes when I'm at 50MPH or less. At some point though I know I'm going to need to brake hard at high speed for one reason or another. Any advice for me? Do you have to be really gentle on the brakes? Any special considerations?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #2
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

gradually squeeze
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
above 100mph i like both brakes... rear brakes ease on then front brakes take over. below 100mph i do front brakes only. ease on until the nose is down then full brakes and taper off. the important thing with front brakes is not grabbing them. you want to work with the suspension not against it. once you have more weight on the front tire (from the forks compressing, from using a little gradual front brake first) the front tire will have much more traction. once it has more traction you can use much more braking force.

if you apply too much braking force before your forks are compressed and there is weight on the tire you will simply lock the front. locking the front isnt terrible... but if yoou are leaned over its pretty easy to drop it if you lock the front. if you lock the front straight up and down just let the front brake off. front brake is not like rear brake... get off the front brake if its locked.

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Seems like reasonable advice alex. Thanks

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I actually found the perfect spot to test out all that. I have a huge track and parking lot, the lot is self is 279,000 sq ft or 6 acres.

Took about half an hour of emergency stops, stops and turns, emergency turns, slaloms, wide circles, tight circles, super tight circles(scraping peg and boot), and u-turns.

This little session helped me out considerably, I really understand what my little ninja can do. Plus, personally I'm trying to wear my crappy IRC tires out.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #6
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I actually found the perfect spot to test out all that. I have a huge track and parking lot, the lot is self is 279,000 sq ft or 6 acres.

Took about half an hour of emergency stops, stops and turns, emergency turns, slaloms, wide circles, tight circles, super tight circles(scraping peg and boot), and u-turns.

This little session helped me out considerably, I really understand what my little ninja can do. Plus, personally I'm trying to wear my crappy IRC tires out.
I'll keep an eye out for a place like that.

As for your tires: you may as well buy the ones you want when you have the money, but properly store your IRCs so if you damage your new ones at any point you have a backup pair that you can install even if you're tight on cash.

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #7
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

I recently upgraded to EBC HH pads up front, so I went to a large parking lot to practice some emergency stops. The brakes are so strong that under very heavy front braking, I can feel the rear end get very light, so much so that I have to be careful not to do a stoppie. Our bikes can stop INCREDIBLY quickly once you get the proper technique down. Squeeze the lever gradually, once your front end is fully compressed, press harder and hold onto your eyeballs!
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
akima, in a few months when its not a thundra over there, go to a track day. you'll love it.

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #9
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Now that I have a good income, I can afford to do a track day or two this year. Looking forward to it! I've heard so much positive stuff about them.

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #10
NDspd

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I'll keep an eye out for a place like that.

As for your tires: you may as well buy the ones you want when you have the money, but properly store your IRCs so if you damage your new ones at any point you have a backup pair that you can install even if you're tight on cash.
If I had the cash to do so I would.

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #11
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

As MSF teaches, always use both brakes so that in the emergency hazard situation: your body will automatically slow with both brakes. Also, avoid engine braking since cars behind dont know when youre slowing without that brake light!
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM   #12
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
As MSF teaches, always use both brakes so that in the emergency hazard situation: your body will automatically slow with both brakes. Also, avoid engine braking since cars behind dont know when youre slowing without that brake light!
I'm currently in the "no rear brake during heavy braking"-camp, but thanks for your input Keep it coming.

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:31 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
im also in the no-rear camp. there are specific uses for the rear brake. and heavy braking is not one of them.

fwiw im in "emergency situations" at least once a week thanks to all the idiots in california.

Old January 31st, 2012, 02:01 PM   #14
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@alex.s: You're one of the people that landed me in this camp The arguments I've heard for avoiding the rear brake during heavy braking are more compelling than the arguments I've heard for using the rear brake. My limited experience on the road doesn't count for much, but so far this particular camp has served me well... I've read plenty of stories on the crash section of this forum and elsewhere of people going into bad fishtailing and sometimes coming off the bike on account of incorrect use of the rear brake during heavy braking. I don't think the risk of trying to use the rear brake effectively is worth the reward: the rear brake counts for so little. Human error can easily creep in during a split second decision making process too, so unless you've got your rear brake muscle memory perfectly sorted, I think you can easily mess it up.

I do use my rear brake a lot btw. I'm rather fond of it!... just not for heavy braking.

Old January 31st, 2012, 04:09 PM   #15
emoyer
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
ease on until the nose is down then full brakes and taper off.
THIS HELPS! (yeah, I'm a noob.) I took MSF, I read Hough's book, and this is the first explanation that really clicked for me. Tried it tonight after work & not only did my stopping distance go way down, but I felt like I was in control. (I'm talking about hard braking, not necessarily high speed.) THANKS!
emoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 04:39 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
its all about being smooth

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:23 PM   #17
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
its all about being smooth
Yep, yep, yep.

Start with a smooth squeeze to transition weight onto the front wheel then a smooth pull till the front wheel starts to talk to you with smooth modulation the whole time. Then you smoothly let off the brakes to smoothly let the weight off the front wheel while accelerating smoothly.

Did I mention you need to be smooth?

I can only speak about hard braking from around 70mph but the basics are the same for faster or slower.

P.S. I use the rear brake all the time on the street for normal stopping but only a whiff of it during hard braking just to settle the bike then I let off of it.

Jeff

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM   #18
NDspd

I really only use the rear for when I'm too lazy to use the front in town. But really I don't use it unless I add a touch of it in heavy braking. One time I used too much of it and I Learned pretty damn quick.

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Guess I'll be ran over soon after getting my bike then. I'd rather engine brake if I have the room and am able to.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:16 AM   #20
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Ive had to come from 150+ to 65 pretty quick before. I use my front brake only, I refuse to touch the back, is that wrong? Sure it may be but im comfortable with my front brake. Just dont grab too hard when braking, it makes the front end very unstable and will wobble, I guess its hard for me to explain what exactly to do. Its more practice then anything, but like alex said, avoid locking the front at all costs

Old February 1st, 2012, 01:16 PM   #21
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
I really only use the rear for when I'm too lazy to use the front in town. But really I don't use it unless I add a touch of it in heavy braking. One time I used too much of it and I Learned pretty damn quick.
I'd make a habit of using the front all the time. You use what you practice and going to the pedal in an emergency is not the best option. Just saying.

Jeff

Old February 1st, 2012, 03:16 PM   #22
NDspd

I'd say 98% of the time I use the front.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Quote:
I'd say 98% of the time I use the front.
I'm the same. I might use it 96.3% of the time though.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #24
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I also (almost) learned the hard way of using too much rear brake when trying to stop in an emergency. Especially with 9,000 miles on the stock IRC tires. You just don't.... STOP!
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #25
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
I'm the same. I might use it 96.3% of the time though.
Haha...I was being sarcastic, maybe it was 98.5592%

Old February 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #26
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
@alex.s:

I do use my rear brake a lot btw. I'm rather fond of it!... just not for heavy braking.
Me too! I love my rear brake for nearly everything EXCEPT high speed panic stops. Just not worth the risk of locking it up for the infinitesimally small amount of help it brings at such high speeds.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #27
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:

My high speed braking advice is this: clench your tank with your legs and do your best to keep your upper body from putting lateral pressure on the bars. Stay as loose as possible (which is tough when your body is being thrown forward!) by clenching the tank with your legs.

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
My high speed braking advice is this: clench your tank with your legs and do your best to keep your upper body from putting lateral pressure on the bars. Stay as loose as possible (which is tough when your body is being thrown forward!) by clenching the tank with your legs.
That feels like good advice to me. I've seen lots of videos of bikes going into wobbles from heavy braking or hitting obstacles/bumps in the road. The bike seems to move the front wheel as it needs to and then restore itself. I'm guessing being stiff on the bars inhibits the bike from doing that, so rather than the bars rotating, the front wheel stays stiff and then looses traction. Or at least that seems to be the case from what I've seen.

I guess a nice side effect of staying loose on the bars is that you get to keep your upper body and arms nice and relaxed! Relaxed humans are better than tense humans.

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #29
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Maybe getting tank grips would help out?

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #30
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nick, that's what Allyson said 2 posts ago mate.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #31
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
No, she didn't. Tank pads on the sides... like this...

Traction Pads

she just said to grip the tank.

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #32
shiftyninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 09' EX250J, 01' EX250R

Akima and Alex.s are right about not using the rear brake in emergency situations. I have done exactly as MSF says, use both brakes in emergency situations. It ALWAYS results in locking the back and fishtailing. I did just that this past Friday when a bunch of traffic going 60mph stopped suddenly. I did as "trained" and immediately locked the back and fishtailed while having to menuever through gaps of cars clearing way for the Fire Truck. What a rush that was, if I hadn't **** 30 minutes before, I would have then. I literally peed a little.

There are numerous times I have locked the back and fishtailed, managing each time to not over compensate and high-side. This is due to using the back as suggested by MSF. I use it lightly as a backup and occasionally for down-hill speed sustaining. The only reason I can see using both would lessen the chance of being ejected over-bars, and greaten the chance of having to lay it down (which is safer).
shiftyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You're using too much rear brake. The MSF isn't recommending that people lock the rear when stopping, but what you've learned is that it can be quite challenging to apply just the right amount of rear brake during an emergency stop. (Which is why some folks have come to the conclusion that it's not worth the concentration, and would rather focus on making sure they are using exactly as much front brake as possible to stop the quickest).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #34
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Not to mention that in a high-speed braking situation, the rear brake only helps at ALL for a fraction of a second before the front stopping power takes over. The rear tire is off the ground anyway. It's just not worth the risk for the infinitesimally small amount of stopping power it provides and the possibility of not getting the pressure JUST right. I love my rear brake, use it all the time, but not in fast braking situations.

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #35
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Not to mention that in a high-speed braking situation, the rear brake only helps at ALL for a fraction of a second before the front stopping power takes over. The rear tire is off the ground anyway. It's just not worth the risk for the infinitesimally small amount of stopping power it provides and the possibility of not getting the pressure JUST right. I love my rear brake, use it all the time, but not in fast braking situations.
You make a good point there. But, I've experimented with braking hard and the rear does make a little bit of a difference, not a whole lot. It only take inches to make the difference between making it home and lying in a hospital bed. I've caught myself locking the rear and I've learned where the sweet spot is so I don't do it anymore.

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #36
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@NDspd: She and I (as per my original post) are talking about "high speed", heavy braking though. I think Ally was just trying state that for whatever small benefit you get while heavy braking normally, at high speed the effect of using the rear brake is even smaller and the chance of getting it wrong is even higher.

I don't at all mind the general "heavy braking" discussion in here, but my concerns are really about heavy braking when you're going really, really... really, fast! (In my books that's 90MPH )

Have any of you guys actually had to brake hard at ~90MPH before? Did you notice anything different about braking at those kinda speeds... other than the wet patch forming in your pants

TBH, I'm actually a bit scared of braking when going that fast. It feels like a tiny bump in the road might cause me to crash if I'm applying heavy braking at that speed. IDK: it just feels like as soon as I get above ~65MPH, riding physics seem to change.

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #37
NDspd

Quote:
@NDspd: She and I (as per my original post) are talking about "high speed", heavy braking though. I think Ally was just trying state that for whatever small benefit you get while heavy braking normally, at high speed the effect of using the rear brake is even smaller and the chance of getting it wrong is even higher.

I don't at all mind the general "heavy braking" discussion in here, but my concerns are really about heavy braking when you're going really, really... really, fast! (In my books that's 90MPH )

Have any of you guys actually had to brake hard at ~90MPH before? Did you notice anything different about braking at those kinda speeds... other than the wet patch forming in your pants

TBH, I'm actually a bit scared of braking when going that fast. It feels like a tiny bump in the road might cause me to crash if I'm applying heavy braking at that speed. IDK: it just feels like as soon as I get above ~65MPH, riding physics seem to change.
Oh ok, good point. Yeah, very high speed braking will make most men wet their pants.