ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

California DMV Motorcycle Permit Examination

Wow, was I not expecting such a difficult test. Went in to attempt to get this motorcycle permit. Test immediately was more difficult than the questions on the practice test on DMV's website.

Could only miss 4 questions outta 25 and I missed six. Sucks major balls. I think the DMV has quite difficult tests. They will have hella easy questions like:

The ability to think clearly and ride safely is affected by as little as:
a) 6 drinks
b) 3 drinks
c) 1 drink

And then the next question will be something that asks you what you need to do when youre about to cross some train tracks with a bunch of similar sounding answers.

Hopefully I will succeed next time

Last futzed with by ajcadoo; February 8th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Tip for next time, when in doubt, skip the question and come back to it later.

Assuming it's the same as Ohio, you have to get 21/25 right, but there's way more than 25 possible questions that it chooses from, so skipping questions is no biggie.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Have you read the motorcycle handbook off of the CA dmv site? All of the questions are pulled right from it, so a quick read through should be enough to get you to that 21/25 ratio.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
realmess
ninjette.org member

Name: MIKE

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250r

really? i took it in september and i thought it was really easy. it was kind of similar to what we learned in the msf course and well in my defense i did read the handbook at least twice before i even took the msf class/permit test. when are you going to take it again?
realmess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

read the handbook. Also, wtf, that question is easy. 1 drink. Don't think logically like "well I had a beer the other night and felt fine!" think about form the standpoint of the law.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #6
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Yeah, I didnt read the handbook. I skimmed through it a couple weeks ago. The funny thing is, off all the 6 questions i missed, I skipped them the first time through the test and then came back to them. I only skipped 6 questions total, and of course the six I skipped, I GOT ALL WRONG. Just my luck... haha

Old February 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #7
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

I'm not sure of the exact number, but you can take the permit test more than once in the same day....back to back, if you want. But yeah, read through the handbook; it shouldn't take too long. Have fun!
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #8
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
I'm not sure of the exact number, but you can take the permit test more than once in the same day....back to back, if you want. But yeah, read through the handbook; it shouldn't take too long. Have fun!
Yeah I will be going to the DMV on thursday to try again.

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
Wow, was I not expecting such a difficult test. Went in to attempt to get this motorcycle permit. Test immediately was more difficult than the questions on the practice test on DMV's website.

Could only miss 4 questions outta 25 and I missed six. Sucks major balls. I think the DMV has quite difficult tests. They will have stupid questions like:

a) 6 drinks
b) 3 drinks
c) 1 drink

And then the next question will be something that asks you what you need to do when youre about to cross some train tracks with a bunch of similar sounding answers.

The test is easy as hell as long as you read the material. IE, the motorcycle handbook available for download or at the DMV. It sounds like you did not do that, so you should actually feel proud to have only missed 6.

And if you think knowing how many drinks will affect your riding abilities is a stupid question, you should rethink riding.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post

Could only miss 4 questions outta 25 and I missed six. Sucks major balls. I think the DMV has quite difficult tests. They will have stupid questions like:

a) 6 drinks
b) 3 drinks
c) 1 drink

Those questions aren't stupid and you should absolutely know the answers.

Train tracks are dangerous.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #11
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I dont want to kick you while you are down, but the DMV permit tests have to be the stupidest and easiest test I have ever taken. They are almost all common sense. I missed a few too, but purely because of odd wording and phrasing but and after reading them over again the answers made sense...

Honestly I think the permit and driving tests should be A LOT harder. To many idiots getting their permits/licenses these days.

Ive been driving since I was 16 and have never (knock on wood) been in accident. I lived and drove in SD for 4 years of that as well. I drove A LOT too. Use common sense and it should be no problem.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #12
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Ok when I said "stupid questions", i meant that the answer is obvious and is a no-brainer. Sorry for the confusion. haha

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #13
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Well I am proud to report that I passed my second attempt today. The second test had completely different questions from the first (except for two Q's) and was similarly difficult. The wording and phrasing of the questions can really throw you for a loop, but I passed only missing 3.

Watch out So Cal, you got a new biker on the streets. Well, once I get a bike that is :-/

Old February 10th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #14
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

The tx dmv test is the same way, tricky wording. You have to read the questions very carefully and be sure your brain isn't skipping anything that would completely change the meaning.

I passed mine with only missing one, but several of the questions would have tripped me up if I hadn't taken my time and reread them.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote