ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 13th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Scuba Steve's Ninja 250

Always like to do a build thread for projects of mine, here is for my Pre-Gen

Purchased my 2005 Ninja 250 may 21st this year with 780 miles!

As of today (July 13th) I have 1680 miles, I caught the ride bug

So far the only mods I've done are simply cosmetic, I didn't buy a 250 to try and build a power monster, just don't want it looking like a scooter.

Green LED Backlights on White Faces

Green LEDs- $6
White Faces- $15

Today's mod was the Rear Fender Delete

Custom Bracket (Material)- $5
Rear Turn Signals- $13
LED License Plate Lights- $10

Outside of front Flush Mounts I need to find what else is in the works. Might be doing a headlight projector with HIDs and some accent green LEDs
scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 96 Ninja 250EX , 87 CBR 1000, 86 TRX 260R, 86 KXT 250, 84 ATC 200X, 82 ATC 250R (w/CR480)

Looking good... How do the needles contrast the white background ... Maybe paint the tips
With orange model paint.... I was considering doing something like that with mine
Rollingmenace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I approve so far. We've already chatted on projectors, and the orange on the needles helps a ton (check out mine).

Get rid of those nasty tires once you start feeling where they're lacking. Also, you'd be surprised what a difference a little change in the suspension will do for you as well. (springs mainly)

Also, there's some really cheap/easy things you can do with the intake/jetting that help a touch. Again, don't do those until you start noticing issues.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Chone beat me too that. Those tires blow...mine had 280 miles on them and I swapped them out the MT75s I have now are sooo much better.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
Chone beat me too that. Those tires blow...mine had 280 miles on them and I swapped them out the MT75s I have now are sooo much better.
+1 on the tires. Those are junk (and not safe IMO) at this point.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

What's bad about them?

Losing grip in turns or braking? Some failure? Too soft or too hard?

How much would I be looking at for let's say the MT75's ($80 rear/$60 front) plus mount and balance? Or other recommended tires.

Thanks for the heads up guys!
scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well, not to bias your thoughts when you ride but...

They don't warm up particularly quickly. They feel vague when leaned over. They don't have a ton of overall grip. They follow tar snakes in the road. They don't turn in very quickly, nor do they hold a line very well. They're slick in the rain.

Do the stock tires work? sure. Can you drag knee with them? sure. (not that I would ever try) But there's better options for sporty riding and there's better options for touring.

A new set of tires, a little suspension tuning, and a little jetting tweaking can make this feel like a whole new bike. But like I said, don't make a ton of changes until you've grown enough as a rider to know where your machine shines/lacks. That will give you the best idea of what has made 'improvement' to your bike that works with how you ride.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #8
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

They are vague...and basically junk when bring new. I put 20 scary miles on my tires before I swapped them out for the pirellis. They should be the first mod to your bike. The MT75s cost me a little over 200 front rear and install+balancing. The mt75s are one of the cheaper tires but the diablo scooters are good according to chone and plenty people use them. Tires and gearing.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaru View Post
What's bad about them?

Losing grip in turns or braking? Some failure? Too soft or too hard?

How much would I be looking at for let's say the MT75's ($80 rear/$60 front) plus mount and balance? Or other recommended tires.

Thanks for the heads up guys!
Even IF they were decent when new, they are way past their prime by now (8 years +/-) - tread depth doesn't matter.

Tires dry-up and lose grip as they age, and when you really need good traction - like moderate cornering or emergency stopping - they aren't going to deliver.

Any used cycle tire over 4 years old isn't up to the level of traction it gave when new and should be replaced IMO.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #10
vince_2149
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Get rid of those nasty tires once you start feeling where they're lacking. Also, you'd be surprised what a difference a little change in the suspension will do for you as well. (springs mainly)
I highly agree with this. On my old '07 I threw some Pirelli Diablo tires on the wheels and an 08 rear shock and man did that really help the handling of the bike. The front end was still lacking a bit, but I never got around to addressing that.
vince_2149 is offline   Reply With Quote