ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

just got a 07 cbr600rr and insurance question...

hi guys and gals, i just got a cbr and now i am paranoid about it getting stolen...

here are some pictures...

IMG_2403 by gitoy, on Flickr

IMG_2406 by gitoy, on Flickr

IMG_2412 by gitoy, on Flickr

it has 8,300 miles and paid $4,300 from a private party...

AAA quoted me $328/yr for full coverage and took it and told them i paid $5,500...i can transfer the title through AAA and was wondering if i could still fudge the sales price when i have to pay the sales tax...like could i now say oh i only paid so and so?...

lol, this purchase just about broke me..
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Yes you can but you know how that goes...

You paid $4300 and the bike has 8300 miles? Was it salvaged? Did you check the bike thoroughly cuz that's awfully a low price.

If everything checks out good, good for you!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

the bike has been dropped on the driveway...but the bike has a clean title...only problem is the exhaust has been debaffled and it is loud...

my concern is i got the full coverage and told them i paid $5,500 when in fact i only paid $4,300...will AAA give me a hassle if i make a claim...if i say i only paid $3,000 so that my sales tax is lower when i transfer the title...

anybody have any experience or opinion on this?...

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #4
8gauge
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Limited Edition - R.I.P. 12/2/2010

I'm hoping to get a CBR600RR for my next bike. That is one sexy bike. Good luck on your insurance.

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #5
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

i'm not sure how many people on this forum will usggest commiting fraud, but got for it and let us know how it turns out
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

I think I'd let them know the correct price you paid for it, but that's just me. It might save you problems later on. I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make on the sales taxes and all that.
Tony

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
the bike has been dropped on the driveway...but the bike has a clean title...only problem is the exhaust has been debaffled and it is loud...

my concern is i got the full coverage and told them i paid $5,500 when in fact i only paid $4,300...will AAA give me a hassle if i make a claim...if i say i only paid $3,000 so that my sales tax is lower when i transfer the title...

anybody have any experience or opinion on this?...
Wait a minute, you've claimed $5000 but paid less hoping in case it gets stolen you'd get more than what you paid.

Then on another thread, you're trying to skip out on paying sales tax on what you actually paid for by claiming you paid less?

This guy...

Anyone else not catch this or do you guys all condone this and do it yourself? LOL!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I lied about sales price one time....learned my lesson.

I'm not sure how Florida does it but they allow you to write what you paid for it on the title. Here we don't even have to sign in front of a notary. Downfall came one day in form of a letter form the State of Florida DMV. Letter said that their research showed that the submitted value was lower than average and was now requesting a Bill of Sale for proof of what I paid for it. No big deal right....wrong. Failure to produce a BOS and a penalty was accessed in the amount of $500 plus the remainder of the tax that should have been paid in the first place. Grand total was like $860. I guess as long as you and the seller are on the same page, you may can pull it off. IMHO....it's not worth the risk.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Works the same way in Ontario Canada. Need to be on the same page and keep your BOS etc. Sellers phone number is handy to if you need to make a heads up call.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

328 a year for full coverage? I dont know how you guys get such low rates

Insurance company doesnt care what you paid for it. They will only give what the book value is........

Nice looking bike thou, the white looks really slick
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #11
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Price you paid is unimportant to the insurance company. They pay claims based on market value of the bike at the time of the claim regardless of whether you paid $5,000 or $5.

As far as sales tax goes, just get a bill of sale signed by both showing how much you paid and submit that. Be thankful you don't have a presumed value crap system like Texas does. Here you pay tax based on what the state presumes you paid for it, no matter what you really paid for it, and that presumed value is based on a perfect bike in perfect condition. If it was a burned down pile of crap you bought for $20 scrap value you'd still pay full tax on it at 6.25% times full price.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #12
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

That is a beautiful bike, may be the best looking color scheme for the 600RR ever, if I was to have one that would be it. On a side note, fraud is immoral and illegal.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If you already took the policy and told AAA an inflated price, what's the point of this question now? Unless you think you can call them back and adjust the price to its correct sale value without looking fishy. Another thing to consider is if your insurance company charges premium based on the value of your motorcycle. I know mine does, so even though you inflated your purchase price, AAA may be charging you a higher premium also.

The consequences of getting caught with this can also be pretty damaging. Having your insurance policy cancelled because of fraud or material misrepresentation will be noted on your insurance record for a long time and depending on your state may even carry other fines or penalties. Try getting a new insurance policy after having a misrepresentation charge on your record. It's like trying to get rid of a bad tattoo you got after drinking too much one night. It will be a long, painful and very expensive process. Anyways congrats on your new bike, it looks pretty sweet.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #14
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

just got back from AAA and paid the sales tax on $5,500...

the $328/yr full coverage was so good that i didn't mind...

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Price you paid is unimportant to the insurance company. They pay claims based on market value of the bike at the time of the claim regardless of whether you paid $5,000 or $5.
Most do, but not all. There are cash value policies where the payout is in fact exactly what you paid for it. But those policies certainly don't rely on the policy holder just telling them over the phone how much the bike cost. And the premiums are set for the potential loss of that value anyway, so if one lies with a much higher price and gets away with it, they are paying the premiums to insure that higher value bike anyway.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote