ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM   #41
Rocketman
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Strange how that works isn't it
You coming to the NE ride?
I have no information on it...have a link ?
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM   #42
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I have no information on it...have a link ?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17061

and I could use some company on the ride down
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:31 AM   #43
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Hey! I'm with ya too

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM   #44
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

lol but only after I've already been on the road for a couple of hours... unless you want to come up to Toronto and meet first
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM   #45
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

na... no need to back track

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #46
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

NE ride! NE ride! WOOHOO!!
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:49 PM   #47
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
FYI..At 195 lbs, mine is set on 3. I'm considering going to 5, after reading what Alex stated in post #5, above. 3 is much better than 1 and I will bet 5 is probably best.
I'll try three first, Sam. Thanks!

Up another 3 lbs. At 6'3"/223 lbs, I may be the biggest 2Fiddy pilot here.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #48
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Keep in mind that preload is well "pre" load as stated above it sets the sag and controls the initial travel. If you are way oversized or way undersized then a different spring might be needed (not sure if the aftermarket has any or if you would need an aftermarket shock.)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM   #49
shift_6
ninjette.org member

Name: SHIFT

Motorcycle(s): 08 Candy Plasma Blue

185lbs, want to set my pre-load to 3 tonight when i get home

how do i remove the chain guard? (was reading the manual saying i had to remove it before adjusting the preload)
shift_6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM   #50
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Chain guard comes off with just two screws, it will be clear when you're looking at it. I removed the chain guard to adjust the preload the very first time, but folks have been able to do it without removing that guard, and I probably won't remove it if I need to adjust the preload again.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM   #51
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

look at the DIY about adjusting the preload in the wiki

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #52
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I am wondering if I need a different spring?? I'm 115lbs and my pre-load is set to 1. I feel like I'm riding a hard-tail bicycle! (but with a cushier seat)... I'm not sure what is normal and what isn't, as this is my first bike. Will the suspension soften over time? I've only had the thing for 4 days, after all...
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #53
kkim

what are your tire pressures?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #54
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

28psi front, 32psi rear. Checked and refilled 4 days ago at the dealership before I left with it.

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #55
kkim

The shock will get a bit more comfy over time, but at your weight it might not. Keep riding it and see.

Are you planning to lower your bike?

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #56
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

I don't have any immediate plans to, as I feel comfortable stopping and such as long as I have my boots on. When these boots die I will have a problem, though. If I can't find suitable replacement boots I will lower it. They have about half an inch of lift overall in the sole.

Are there any boots made specifically for riding that will have that sort of lift? I'm thinking it'd be better to get tightly-fitted boots. Mine might slip off if I end up sliding along pavement...

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #57
kkim

Well, I was asking as lowering might help soften the rear with a different leverage ratio the linkage would provide.

you could also lower the rear pressure to about 28 psi and see if that helps. I run 28/28 on my bike and have had no ill effects from doing so. A few PSI in tires make a big difference in feel. I wouldn't recommend going much lower than those pressures, though.

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #58
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

I will try lowering the pressure as a quick fix. Thanks for the tip!

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #59
kkim

Please let us know if it makes a difference for you.

Old August 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #60
Cochese
The Grand Royal

I need a solution for my suspension issue. I'm too heavy for the ninja. If I hit a bump too hard, my fat ass causes the rear suspension to bottom out. I have a BikeLitez SS FE kit installed with the fiberglass undertail and I think I may have bottomed out enough to rub the license plate and detach the LED license plate light. Is there a suspension solution out there for me?

Oh and hi Mr. Kim!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #61
kkim

well, look who the cat dragged home!

http://store.racebikerentals.com/mer...Category_Code=

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #62
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
well, look who the cat dragged home!

http://store.racebikerentals.com/mer...Category_Code=
Sweet six hundred dollar Christ!

Good to see ya.

I've been getting my ass kicked at work (not literally). Ninja is well, with 1,100 miles from the commute (14 miles RT) and a few excursions. I guess I better work some OT if I want to afford one of those. Is anyone here an expert on these rear shocks? I notice they are "custom built" to the rider's weight and riding style. Do they really work??

I need something strong for my 230 lbs frame.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #63
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Yikes! $100 mark up over retail, too!

NINJA 250 (08-09)
REAR (unit) SPRING SET-UP* TYPE ADJUSTMENT(S) PART #
MSRP. (US$)
STOCK GEOMETRY (36mm) Single Rate Non-Reservoir Preload & Rebound E36R/1-WAY
$495.00

http://www.elkasuspension.com/produc...saki-moto.html

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #64
kkim

Obvious question is, have you bumped up the stock shock preload to #5, yet?

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #65
Cochese
The Grand Royal

I'm guessing some of the premium charged by Richard covers the setting up of the shock based on the weight and riding style...

I also found this package for those interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3321wt_943

http://www.rentmyninja.com/

Go to store... these guys claimed to have helped Elka develop the components. This package comes with replacement fork springs! $570 plus shipping.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #66
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Quote:
Obvious question is, have you bumped up the stock shock preload to #5, yet?

I did that a long time ago. It rides okay except for the suspension bottoming out on *ANY* bump I go over. It'll get worse if I ride with cargo. I think I'm gonna have them build it for a 250 pound payload since I'm planning on some Cortech bags which will tax it even more.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #67
kkim

um, the shock Richard sells is a 2 (compression and rebound adjustable) way. the stuff you're looking at isn't, hence the price diff. the remote reservoir is the giveaway.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #68
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Quote:
um, the shock Richard sells is a 2 (compression and rebound adjustable) way. the stuff you're looking at isn't, hence the price diff. the remote reservoir is the giveaway.
Shows what I know!

Next question... do I need rebound adjustment on a street only application?

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #69
kkim

I can't say, but when I asked Richard about the shock you've linked, he said it was junk and wouldn't recommend it and which is why he doesn't sell it. Others may have different opinions on this, so perhaps they will post up their experience. In the end, you'll need to be the judge.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #70
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Quote:
I can't say, but when I asked Richard about the shock you've linked, he said it was junk and wouldn't recommend it and which is why he doesn't sell it. Others may have different opinions on this, so perhaps they will post up their experience. In the end, you'll need to be the judge.
Your and Richard's experience are held in high regard by me. You know I'm not one to go cheap with mods. What do you think about replacing the fork springs?

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #71
kkim

If the front is diving when you brake and "bottoms", yes you need some stiffer springs. I think there was a post recently about how much improvement there was to the forks with just a spring change... or am I imagining it?

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #72
Finder
ninjette.org member

Name: Mr.

Motorcycle(s): F650GS Dakar, FJR1300, Ninja 250R

First, how heavy are you? I'm 220 without gear and I have not bottomed the rear shock yet, even on some pretty big dips and bumps. I have the preload set to 5 which is the best I can do at the moment for correct sag. The shock is also settling in a little and becoming a little more compliant, but I don't forsee it getting so loose to bottom out.

On another note... one thing a lot of people don't consider when making suspension preload/sag adjusments is the effect the front has on the rear and vise versa. If you raise the rear by jacking up the preload, you put more weight on the front end and less on the rear. On a stock front end with those pitiful .45 or so springs, it means lots of sag up front and lots of weight transfer, making the problem even worse. This translates to an overweighted front end that dives excessively and bottoms easily, bobs and pogos, and generally under damped on the 250. The rear end now becomes light, and even more over damped causing a very harsh ride. Back problems anyone?

Ideally, sag adjustments (suspension preload) should be made to both the front and back at the same time. Change the rear, the front changes as well. They need to be 'balanced'. Fortunately, the shock on the Current-Gen 250 is surprisingly adequate for the heavier rider for such a small bike, just a little over damped for street. I'd dare say 'adequate' sag can be found for people up to 220 - 230 lbs or so on the 5th setting. Unfortunately, as per above, you need to properly setup the front which means replacing or cutting the stock springs, then using spacers to achieve correct sag. For my weight, I'm finding a set of .85 springs + the rear preload set to 5 a pretty good setup until my Elka comes in. Don't get me wrong, the rear is still over damped and on the harsh side, but much more livable with the front end raised to the correct sag.

There's a huge art to suspension tuning, but almost everyone agrees that front and rear sag should be set correctly at the same time.

If you're around my weight and bottoming out the rear end consistently on small bumps, something is wrong with your shock!
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #73
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder View Post
First, how heavy are you? I'm 220 without gear and I have not bottomed the rear shock yet, even on some pretty big dips and bumps. I have the preload set to 5 which is the best I can do at the moment for correct sag. The shock is also settling in a little and becoming a little more compliant, but I don't forsee it getting so loose to bottom out.

On another note... one thing a lot of people don't consider when making suspension preload/sag adjusments is the effect the front has on the rear and vise versa. If you raise the rear by jacking up the preload, you put more weight on the front end and less on the rear. On a stock front end with those pitiful .45 or so springs, it means lots of sag up front and lots of weight transfer, making the problem even worse. This translates to an overweighted front end that dives excessively and bottoms easily, bobs and pogos, and generally under damped on the 250. The rear end now becomes light, and even more over damped causing a very harsh ride. Back problems anyone?

Ideally, sag adjustments (suspension preload) should be made to both the front and back at the same time. Change the rear, the front changes as well. They need to be 'balanced'. Fortunately, the shock on the Current-Gen 250 is surprisingly adequate for the heavier rider for such a small bike, just a little over damped for street. I'd dare say 'adequate' sag can be found for people up to 220 - 230 lbs or so on the 5th setting. Unfortunately, as per above, you need to properly setup the front which means replacing or cutting the stock springs, then using spacers to achieve correct sag. For my weight, I'm finding a set of .85 springs + the rear preload set to 5 a pretty good setup until my Elka comes in. Don't get me wrong, the rear is still over damped and on the harsh side, but much more livable with the front end raised to the correct sag.

There's a huge art to suspension tuning, but almost everyone agrees that front and rear sag should be set correctly at the same time.

If you're around my weight and bottoming out the rear end consistently on small bumps, something is wrong with your shock!
I'm 225 lbs tonight without any gear.

I'm saving pennies for Richard's ELKA two way. I want to pick up the proper fork springs as well and install them/have them installed at the same time.

The stock shock is set to 5 right now. My riding style has me ass against the pad on my seat cowl. I keep my crotch area off and out of the tank. I have a set of the Buell footpegs I'm gonna install one of these days too. Just need to get them set up and figure out what all needs to be adjusted in the way of cabling afterward.

Old August 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #74
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Cochese, did it start bottoming out recently or has it always bottomed out for you? I'm just wondering because I am about 205 without gear, have the preload set at 3 and have not had an issue. I've even ridden 2 up with my wife without an issue either, although these have been short trips with no big bumps.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #75
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Well, I haven't noticed an issue until recently. With ATG and a tank bag full of three pistols and 400 rounds of ammo, it may have just been too much.

As luck would have it, my shop wants to buy my stock stuff back, including exhaust and fender so the Elka may come faster than I hoped!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #76
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I have a set of the Buell footpegs I'm gonna install one of these days too. Just need to get them set up and figure out what all needs to be adjusted in the way of cabling afterward.
Where have you been, man? I know the VCAs (violent criminal actors for the laymen) never rest; thus, your job is never done.

You REALLY need to install those Buell pegs TODAY! They are a world of difference (I'm 6'2"/200 lbs). My post http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ght=buell+pegs gives you all the detail adjustments. The hardest part is machining (grinder, dremel, and/or file....your choice).

Since I posted this DIY, I have removed the "feelers", not that I'm leaning that far, but I got tired of them hitting my legs, while backing out of my garage. They simply unscrew.

Stay safe!!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #77
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Well, I haven't noticed an issue until recently. With ATG and a tank bag full of three pistols and 400 rounds of ammo, it may have just been too much.

Posted via Mobile Device
Along with 3 pistols, 400 rounds, geez that can be HEAVY.

nb

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #78
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

I can't believe you only carry 3 pistols!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #79
Cochese
The Grand Royal

I was heading to a GSSF match at the time. Normally I just keep a Springfield EMP and two or three mags with me. :P

...and gimme a break! I only have one Ninja, I have 7 Glocks and over 9,000 posts on Glock Talk!

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:17 PM   #80
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Hey guys,

I think my shock price is actually $100 under MSRP. Thanks, Kelly for clearing that up! If you guys find something out of line with my price, please let me know, but it should be pretty cheap.

For the front springs, I know this is not a very popular answer, but I feel the stock springs with 15 weight oil is the best setup. I ran Racetech springs for 2 weekends in my bike and HATED them! Our little Ninja Turtles are spindly little things. A stiff front end creates all sorts of problems (in my experience). The bike likes a very soft suspension setup up front. Yes, the bike does dive quite a bit, but heavier oil will solve a lot of that. Anyway, just my 0.02