ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Setting the Preload

I've never adjusted the preload on a rear shock. Looks easy enough in the manual. My owners manual says that it is preset to a 1 from the factory for a 150 lb rider, and higher setting are for heavier loads.

I weigh 205. What's the best setting?

What will changing the setting actually do?
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Realirony
That New Kid

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja250R

hangin here to see the answer. im curious as well.

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #3
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Well I am not an expert but I think the answer is subjective; based off of what you like. I am 5'10" and weigh 175-180 Lbs and I like my preload set to the 3rd position.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #4
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

What does it actually do? Limit the range of travel? Pre compression? I guess I'll figure it out when I put a wrench on it.

Old March 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's the "in a perfect world" answer, and then there's the "when it comes to our ninjettes" answer. I'll try and give both as concisely as feasible.

Preload on motorcycle shock is primarily used to set the sag. Sag is the drop in height of the suspension from unloaded to loaded. (I.E. rider not on bike, compared to rider on bike). Correct sag is important so the suspension is working within its comfort zone as much as possible, and the bike should be kept level front to rear (or if not exactly level, at the expected or chosen angle, rather than at an unintended angle due to suspension issues). In general, recommended sag is somewhere between 1/3 - 1/4 of the full travel of the suspension, so usually somewhere between 1 and 1.5 inches. You really need a helper to set it up correctly, who can help you measure the differences from loaded to unloaded. Once preload is set, then you start working on the other adjustments (compression damping and rebound damping) so the shock works as expected over a variety of conditions.

But on the ninjette, all we can adjust is preload. So adjusting it not only sets the sag, but it's the only way we can really adjust the stiffness of the rear end. On more powerful bikes, there are downsides to setting the rear end too stiff. Mainly, traction issues come up and the rear wheel can spin much more easily coming off of corners, and can lose grip quicker even coming into corners. This just isn't an issue with the Ninjette, no matter what you do to the suspension, we will never be able to spin the rear tire under any conditions, so you simply can't make the rear end too stiff to run into that problem. The stiffer you adjust the rear, you are slightly adjusting the geometry of the bike to be pitched forward a little bit, which does speed up the steering. The only real downside to going to stiff on the rear on the ninjette is ride comfort. For a certain size bump, the stiffer you have the rear preload on, the more you're going to feel it.

There's no right answer for "the perfect setting", but it's likely that position 1 isn't correct for you. Start adjusting it, ride it, see what you like or don't like about the new position and adjust it again until you're happy. The lack of adjustability on our suspension makes things pretty simple for us. If we had hispeed/lowspeed compression damping, rebound damping, preload adjustment, and separate ride height adjustment, getting things dialed in can become a terribly complicated process. We have a choice of 1 through 5 on one setting. Personally, I prefer ours all the way stiff (5). Most feedback, most stability when entering and exiting turns, and even at the stiffest it really isn't all that stiff. On a sportbike, it would be more like the middle setting if anything.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #6
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

I did it. It was easy. I went straight to 5, and I like it right there. I might back off a notch or two for mountain road runs though. 5 is pretty stiff. The bike barely settles at all when I sit on it.

1. It's easier from the chain side because you can push the spanner.

2. If you're wearing a ring it may get boogered up, or it may hurt you. When the collar breaks loose, it does so suddenly.

3. I think the Kawasaki tool kit would be MUCH cooler if each tool were branded with 'Kawasaki'.

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #7
kkim

lol... you'll find out if 5 is too stiff once you hit some bad/bumpy road sections.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #8
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

It was pretty rough set on 1

I test rode the 5 setting on a curvy, newly paved road. Kind of like a track. You're right. After a few good pot holes I may back off.

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #9
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

o0o0o0o0o0o!!!! kkim vs alex....who will win

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #10
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

My main issue with the rear shock is the lack of a rebound damping control. On #1 the shock compresses a lot but rebounds WAY too fast. At 160 lbs setting 2 seems the best for real world riding. Position 3 actually feels best for spirited riding but bumpy roads beat me up so it's back to #2 for me.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Hey, be careful the first time you get up to highway speeds after setting the preload from one extreme to the other. The bike may behave a lot differently at speed or hitting small bumps than you're used to.

I have my preload at 2 and I'm about 207lbs. But I'm a cream puff Cadillac kind of guy.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #12
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Preload on motorcycle shock is primarily used to set the sag. Sag is the drop in height of the suspension from unloaded to loaded. (I.E. rider not on bike, compared to rider on bike). Correct sag is important so the suspension is working within its comfort zone as much as possible, and the bike should be kept level front to rear (or if not exactly level, at the expected or chosen angle, rather than at an unintended angle due to suspension issues). In general, recommended sag is somewhere between 1/3 - 1/4 of the full travel of the suspension, so usualy somewhere between 1 and 1.5 inches. You really need a helper to set it up correctly, who can help you measure the differences from loaded to unloaded. Once preload is set, then you start working on the other adjustments (compression damping and rebound damping) so the shock works as expected over a variety of conditions.
Watch how the travel is measured here:

http://www.onthethrottle.tv/pages/pa...50/207_625_932
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Thx Sam! Dave's a good guy, he's held a couple suspension setup days for the MSMC, and has helped get my trackbike's suspension sorted a number of times. He's engaged to one of our past MSMC members (who's actually his 3rd model on the bike, that's Lisa!). Only thing I missed in that video was what setting he had the bike on when he was measuring sag. I assume it was set at the stock setting if it had correct sag for Lisa, but I would have liked to see the sag measurement with the back preload maxed and the 240 lb rider on it.

Awwww:

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
o0o0o0o0o0o!!!! kkim vs alex....who will win
ummm.... dunno. Alex, wouldn't it be just easier to ban him?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #15
g21-30

Alex,

When I saw that video last week, it kinda ticked me off since he said the bike was only suitable for 110-140 lb rider. I'm 195 and started on a preload of 1 and now I have it set at 3. Based on your thoughts, maybe I should go to 5. Maybe in a few weeks. The bike definitely is better in the turns set on 3.

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #16
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I am 5"11 135lbs. What do you say the preload should be set on? I like 2 for now but is 3 the best position? (3, so it would be stiff and passenger ready)
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
I am 5"11 135lbs.
Forget the preload. Start eating more.

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #18
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

I'm 5'7", 145-150lb and have only had the damper set to 1... would 2 be more appropriate? I will be riding 2-up occasionally.. she weighs around 100-105lb - would 2 be OK for that (I would assume 1 would be way too low for 2-up riding)?

Oh, another thing to keep in mind is if you're inseam-challenged like I am, setting the dampers low can help you plant your feet at a stop
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #19
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Forget the preload. Start eating more.
this i know alex. this i know.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #20
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I'm 67", 135, preload is at 1 now, when I got the bike, P/O had it at 4, beat me to death on some of the roads here. Changed it to one, thanks sound_wave, and it rides mucho better, and I can get my feet down better. As for eating, it doesn't help. I went 5 months, eating 3 meals a day, plus an extra 3000 calories of weight gainer/protein and working out hard with the weights, (thats how I got a SLAP tear in my rt shoulder) and gained 5 lbs.

nb

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #21
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
I'm 67", 135, preload is at 1 now, when I got the bike, P/O had it at 4, beat me to death on some of the roads here. Changed it to one, thanks sound_wave, and it rides mucho better, and I can get my feet down better. As for eating, it doesn't help. I went 5 months, eating 3 meals a day, plus an extra 3000 calories of weight gainer/protein and working out hard with the weights, (thats how I got a SLAP tear in my rt shoulder) and gained 5 lbs.

nb
haha I feel your pain. I'm stuck at 135 as well. Consider yourself lucky, though. I tried 4-5 meals a day with weight gainer, creatine, and weights and I gained 2 lbs.

But off the lot, my preload was set at 1. It does feel a bit mushy in the turns so I'll be trying 2 if it still feels that way after break-in.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #22
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

LOL, add me to the 135lb group!

People who know me and the amount I eat and can't believe it. I am constantly eating, during the day, an hour or two after a large dinner, I am hungry again. Yet, I am not gaining weight...

Anywho, mine was set to 1 off the lot. I have it set to 3 now and it feels much firmer. It is really the riders own personal preference with this I believe.

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #23
Bo21
Normal people scare me!

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I am 6'1 225 lbs and the #2 setting seems to work best for me. The bike just felt unstable on 3. I may try it again some time this summer to see if it may have just been the day.

Old March 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #24
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Damn... 135? I can bench press that. If you're still looking to gain some weight, eat more saturated fats (9 kcal/gram) than proteins (4 kcal/gram) and carbohydrates (4kcal/gram). Calories in calories out.

Back on topic though the 3rd position has a lot of feed back for me at 170-80; almost feels like I am jumping in the air. So I am kinda reluctant to try Alex's suggestion about position 5. But at the moment I think I would like the 2nd position better because I like to just cruise and protect the boys.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #25
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo21 View Post
I am 6'1 225 lbs and the #2 setting seems to work best for me. The bike just felt unstable on 3. I may try it again some time this summer to see if it may have just been the day.
Brian - I know what you mean about the unstable feeling - I had adjusted mine up to 2, but the combination of it being on 2, running higher tire pressures, and lowering the bike made it feel really unstable to me, so I went back to 1 where I felt safer - I think it's probably more mental than anything, but I felt better there, so that's where it will stay
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #26
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanderman7 View Post
Damn... 135? I can bench press that.

But at the moment I think I would like the 2nd position better because I like to just cruise and protect the boys.
lol shut up. We know it sucks, but atleast I can say stuff like I can almost bench 150% of my weight. Very few 200lbers can say that

back to business. so 2nd is better for the boys? Cause I haven't tried the others yet, but 1 is painful!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM   #27
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

I dropped mine from 5 back to 3 today, and I think I'll leave it right there. It's a little softer, making for a little more dynamic ride (but not all squishy).

It was hard to break the collar loose going from 5 to 4, but once I removed the chain guard, and used the cheater bar included in the tool kit, it broke free pretty easily.

+1 to Kawasaki for the better suspension on the new generation (and the cheater in the tool kit).

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM   #28
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Well changed over to 2 last week from 1. And the bike feels alot more stable now. On stock settings, the rear would seem like it was compressing/losing grip when I went into turns and rebounded alot more than I wanted it to. 2 so far seems great. A bit tighter than ideal but alot better feel than 1.

And for those doing it for the first time, definitely take off the chain guard and use the bar with extender. Pushing it from the left side was no problem!

Old March 24th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #29
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Thx Sam! Dave's a good guy, he's held a couple suspension setup days for the MSMC, and has helped get my trackbike's suspension sorted a number of times. He's engaged to one of our past MSMC members (who's actually his 3rd model on the bike, that's Lisa!). Only thing I missed in that video was what setting he had the bike on when he was measuring sag. I assume it was set at the stock setting if it had correct sag for Lisa, but I would have liked to see the sag measurement with the back preload maxed and the 240 lb rider on it.

Awwww:

Shes a hottie smokin

I think 5 was overkill but whatever your comfortable with. 3 probably is ideal for you. I'm pretty sure this is all in the manual.

Hey Hey I'm 145 and I can bench over 200!

Old March 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #30
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
Well changed over to 2 last week from 1. And the bike feels alot more stable now. On stock settings, the rear would seem like it was compressing/losing grip when I went into turns and rebounded alot more than I wanted it to. 2 so far seems great. A bit tighter than ideal but alot better feel than 1.

And for those doing it for the first time, definitely take off the chain guard and use the bar with extender. Pushing it from the left side was no problem!
Yeah I like 2 myself. I don't wanna say it but I told ya so

Old April 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #31
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I'll move up to 3 I think when my bike returns.

At 220 lbs, it should be a good starting point.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #32
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I'll move up to 3 I think when my bike returns.

At 220 lbs, it should be a good starting point.
FYI..At 195 lbs, mine is set on 3. I'm considering going to 5, after reading what Alex stated in post #5, above. 3 is much better than 1 and I will bet 5 is probably best.

Old April 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Shes a hottie smokin
Lisa joined us on the SMR today, and she wanted some pics of her on the bike. Dave wasn't able to make it; he was working at a trackday in SoCal.

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #34
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
FYI..At 195 lbs, mine is set on 3. I'm considering going to 5, after reading what Alex stated in post #5, above. 3 is much better than 1 and I will bet 5 is probably best.
I'm 200, and pretty happy with a 3 right now. I rode with it on 5 for a week or two, but that's just a little too stiff on the bumps. 3 is good and solid, but provides a little give on the rough stuff.

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #35
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

At 160 lbs I have mine at 3 and enjoy some spirited riding. Looking at everyone else's I'm starting this might be a little much.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #36
djindia23
Ride or Die Ninja

Name: Kichu

Motorcycle(s): Blue Ninja 250R (the fastest color)

Unhappy

im like 120 lbs... yes i know im small... soo please bust my chops away.... but im wondering if i should go to 2 as well... what do you think???
djindia23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #37
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by djindia23 View Post
im like 120 lbs... yes i know im small... soo please bust my chops away.... but im wondering if i should go to 2 as well... what do you think???
I suggest you try it. only to see if it suits you.
You can always change it back

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #38
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

I'm at 2 bucks, and #3 is good. Not too hard, not too soft, juussssst riiiiight......
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM   #39
Rocketman
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanderman7 View Post
Damn... 135? I can bench press that. If you're still looking to gain some weight, eat more saturated fats (9 kcal/gram) than proteins (4 kcal/gram) and carbohydrates (4kcal/gram). Calories in calories out.

Back on topic though the 3rd position has a lot of feed back for me at 170-80; almost feels like I am jumping in the air. So I am kinda reluctant to try Alex's suggestion about position 5. But at the moment I think I would like the 2nd position better because I like to just cruise and protect the boys.
haha Yeah but I'm a 135 and can bench press you..so Ill just keep my regular diet, I have mine set to 2 and it feels just about right....its my first motorcycle so I might not know what Im doing with the suspension fully but I think I have it right.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 03:31 AM   #40
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
haha Yeah but I'm a 135 and can bench press you..so Ill just keep my regular diet, I have mine set to 2 and it feels just about right....its my first motorcycle so I might not know what Im doing with the suspension fully but I think I have it right.
Strange how that works isn't it
You coming to the NE ride?