ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old September 24th, 2018, 06:34 AM   #1
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Teaching a new rider

This video is painful to watch, but shows what can go wrong in a hurry when trying to teach someone to operate a motorcycle for the first time -

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...horribly-wrong

This is why I always suggest a small dirt bike as the best way to learn to operate a cycle. Even a R3 can take off very quickly (heard the tire squeal when she revved and dropped the clutch) and get away from a new rider super easily.

You would also want a completely empty parking lot.

There are plenty of other things you would want them to know before turning them loose (like practicing how to pull in the clutch and apply the brake), but having plenty of open space might have helped.

Hopefully she was OK.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2018, 12:19 PM   #2
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
This video is painful to watch, but shows what can go wrong in a hurry when trying to teach someone to operate a motorcycle for the first time -

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...horribly-wrong

This is why I always suggest a small dirt bike as the best way to learn to operate a cycle. Even a R3 can take off very quickly (heard the tire squeal when she revved and dropped the clutch) and get away from a new rider super easily.

You would also want a completely empty parking lot.

There are plenty of other things you would want them to know before turning them loose (like practicing how to pull in the clutch and apply the brake), but having plenty of open space might have helped.

Hopefully she was OK.
I always cringe when I see people teaching new riders how to ride. I've been teaching little kids and new riders for a long time and what most people do is give too much information. It should be broken down into simple steps and worked on one thing at a time. For example. I have the riders sit on the bike and without it even being on i teach them how to roll on the gas and roll it OFF (this is probably the most important part) as you always want their first reaction to be rolling OFF the gas.

From there I turn on the bike and put it in neutral and have them feel/hear how the bike sounds when the gas is rolled on. I have them roll it on and off a bunch of times. Then on and off a bunch more times without them looking down at the throttle. Then I have them practice holding it steady (as if they were riding slowly) and then rolling off again.

After that I have them put it in gear and practice letting out the clutch JUST until they feel it engage and then pulling it back in again. I have them do that a bunch of times so that they know they can always pull the clutch in to stop it moving forward.

THEN i stand in front of the bike and have them slowly work on adding throttle while they let out the clutch and have them move slowly forward before pulling in the clutch again. I have them do this a bunch of times before even letting them go 10 feet or so.....its a controlled gradient that allows them to really get a feel and understanding of how to ride.

I've taught kids as young as 4 as well as adults that have never ridden and this method seems to work really well with no issues. Whenever I hear people talking about learning to ride I'm always like, "Hey! I can help!"

I love it (but have a hard time watching others throw people to the sharks!)

One thing at a time. Practice. Gradient. Stay safe.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 24th, 2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

Hopefully she was OK.
My first thought after watching was "did he teach her anything before having her get on the bike????"

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I had that same thought. Ok, give it some gas, dump the clutch, and go!

Oh, why did it go badly?

Wow.

The graduated approach makes a lot more sense. Get a feel for the clutch before having someone get the thing in motion.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
YouTube has zillions of videos like that. It seems there are a lot of people that think someone with no experience can be turned loose with a 100+ HP motorcycle with near zero instruction or practice.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2018, 07:21 AM   #6
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
One of the worst ways to learn how to ride a motorcycle is to have a friend or family member teach you. You are better off learning all by yourself.

There is a reason that the BRC classes go step by step pretty much the way @Misti described. (From what I remember they also have you duck walking around a parking lot before rolling off and picking your feet up.) You learn one skill at a time and build on that skill, once you have learned the skill you add the next still to it.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2018, 12:58 PM   #7
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I have stopped trying to teach anyone to ride anymore. I just direct them to professionals and let them lean the right way. I have taught many people including my 5yo nephew to ride with good success but you just cant predict what some people will do when things go wrong. I always spend the first few minutes telling them repeatedly to pull in the clutch--no matter what goes wrong. Then I teach them everything else they need too know then I teach them again about the clutch. Once the power is gone the fear is gone (provided you are in an open space) and their senses can catch up and grab the brake or turn or whatever but if they don't take the power away even the brakes wont stop them!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.