ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #1
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZX750F

1987 Ninja 750R Build Thread

Listen... So I know this is a 250R board and all, but my bike looks damn near identical to the 250, and I can't find any active 750R boards.

If you don't want me here... kick my a$$ out.

If you DO want to watch my build, stay in tune. I'll be updating with the first pictures tonight.

The day I brought it home

Found a fuel tank

Playing with Plastidip, removed the factory gauge cluster.

Found me a seat, and removed the rear plastics and lights. Right before I took this picture I had just finished installing the new clutch, and tightening up the exhaust header.

hawkxcore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Sub'd. I love older bike rebuild threads. Welcome to the forums, Steve!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #3
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Just updated the OP with a few pictures of what I've done so far.

To-do list this weekend -

Get the clutch bled, it was giving me a hard time last weekend.
Clean and install new (used) carbs
Oil in the crankcase
Fire her up!!

I'll probably only accomplish the first two.

Forgot to add - The tank, front fender, and rear grab bar are getting dropped off for paint on Tuesday night. Sunset orange metallic. I just need to trim that fender down... a lot... before Tuesday. The bike is going to be kinda cafe racer/street fighter ish. Also, a few weeks ago, I convinced my 5 year old son that I am Batman. So, there will be Batman decals going on the tank after its painted.

Old August 16th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #4
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Totally forgot the biggest project of the weekend! Just pulled everything out of the fuel tank, taped off the holes, and dumped in 2 pounds of aquarium gravel. In the drier she goes!

Edit -

Ooo pretty

Next up, Por-15 tank repair kit

Last futzed with by hawkxcore; August 16th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

Old August 16th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I bought the exact same bike brand new in 1987. Hit a deer on the interstate with it at about 4000 mi and got another of the exact same one in early 1988 that I owned until about 2000.

The red/white paint scheme still looks nice to me.

I used mine for sport riding and did a 2000 mi trip with it. Still one of my favorite bikes.

Bring it back to life!
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #6
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I bought the exact same bike brand new in 1987. Hit a deer on the interstate with it at about 4000 mi and got another of the exact same one in early 1988 that I owned until about 2000.

The red/white paint scheme still looks nice to me.

I used mine for sport riding and did a 2000 mi trip with it. Still one of my favorite bikes.

Bring it back to life!
Working hard on it! I'll make you proud ;-) Although... The red and white color scheme will be nowhere to be found.

There were some issues with the title, but after fighting with the DMV a few times, we're finally in the clear. It's in my name, and I'm not sure why, but the title shows it as a one owner vehicle.

I haven't gone any further with the tank repair tonight. I found a bubble in the paint and decided to knock it down with some 80 grit. Unfortunately, as suspected, there's a small hole. Luckily the Por 15 kit comes with repair strips. I just need to get it done by tomorrow night so it has time to cure before paint on Tuesday.

I kinda accidentally forgot that tomorrow is not only my daughter's birthday, it's also my wedding anniversary. Sooo I don't think much will be getting accomplished this weekend after all.

I'm glad that your community is welcoming me so far. Can't wait to ride this thing!

Old August 17th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #7
amad1972
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkxcore View Post

I kinda accidentally forgot that tomorrow is not only my daughter's birthday, it's also my wedding anniversary. Sooo I don't think much will be getting accomplished this weekend after all.
That could have gotten you in the doghouse! I am looking forward to watching the build progress.

Old August 18th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #8
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Welp... Got set back a few days. Found a pinhole in the tank. Por 15 patch needs to cure for 4 days before any kind of paint work can be done. I'm going to try to get it patched and sealed tonight so that I can drop it off at the paint shop by the end of the week.

Got the clutch bled, finally, and I've got the blisters to prove it.

Old August 18th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #9
crimsondragon
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Any reason why you just don't have the hole welded up? Any patch IMO can be a weak point and depending on where the hole is, I don't know if I would want it to fail at worst time onto the worst component.
crimsondragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #10
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon View Post
Any reason why you just don't have the hole welded up? Any patch IMO can be a weak point and depending on where the hole is, I don't know if I would want it to fail at worst time onto the worst component.
From what I understand, the Por 15 patch kit works extremely well. I'd have no problem getting it welded if that would be the better option.

Small update - just got in a test tail light. I'm gonna mock it up on the bike tonight and see how I like it.

Holding it up. If time permits after trimming the fender, I'll start modifying the bracket to fit.

Last futzed with by hawkxcore; August 18th, 2014 at 03:58 PM.

Old August 18th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #11
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Upon further inspection... I'm not really feeling the taillight I posted above. I'll try another one tomorrow.

Got the front fender trimmed. Talked to the body shop on my way home from work... They're going to weld the tank and put in the Por 15 epoxy for no extra charge

Here's the fender work.

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #12
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Dropped the tank and fender for paint last night. Body shop says they're not comfortable welding the tank, but will send it out and have it done for me. ETA of two weeks until tank repair and epoxy are completed, and parts are back in my hands.

In the mean time, I'll be working on lighting, and the important part of actually getting the bike running.

Here's the new tail lamp that I decided on.

Old August 20th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #13
amad1972
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

I like that tail light much better.

Old August 21st, 2014, 07:56 PM   #14
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Horribly washed out picture, but I got the tail mounted tonight.

Old August 21st, 2014, 08:52 PM   #15
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Badass, dude. I like it so far.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:00 PM   #16
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Badass, dude. I like it so far.
Thank you! My biggest reason for posting a build thread is for comments like this to motivate me to keep moving on it

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:13 PM   #17
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Thank you! My biggest reason for posting a build thread is for comments like this to motivate me to keep moving on it
Well I'm totally interested in how it turns out. Keep us posted!

Old August 25th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #18
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Just fired her up for the first time! Granted, it was on ether since I don't have a fuel tank, but progress regardless.

Old August 25th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #19
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

This reminds me of my first project..

I strapped my tank into a pain shaker with pea gravel. patience and perseverance.
I really like the style points. Are you going to work on any performance improvements? Shocks, break lines?

Once you get it together and running you get that great feeling...
ya know the one where the lightning strikes and you laugh maniacally into the SKY AS YOUR CREATION COMES TO LIFE !!!!!!

MUHOOO HAHAHAHA.

Then you youtube it and link it

Whats the planned paint scheme? Or is it a surprise?

Unveiling planned for?

Grab a spare gas tank off a mini bike or somthing to get it running in the mean time.

I am very much looking forward to seeing this retro ride completed.

Congrats on the progress and welcome to Ninjette.

The stranger the better around these parts. Just REMEMBER ATGATT

You going to need an 80s jacket to go with that ride!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #20
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Just fired her up for the first time! Granted, it was on ether since I don't have a fuel tank, but progress regardless.
That kicks ass! That's an amazing feeling when you feel the point at which your work starts to pay off. Keep us posted!

Old August 26th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #21
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
This reminds me of my first project..

I strapped my tank into a pain shaker with pea gravel. patience and perseverance.
I really like the style points. Are you going to work on any performance improvements? Shocks, break lines?

Once you get it together and running you get that great feeling...
ya know the one where the lightning strikes and you laugh maniacally into the SKY AS YOUR CREATION COMES TO LIFE !!!!!!

MUHOOO HAHAHAHA.

Then you youtube it and link it

Whats the planned paint scheme? Or is it a surprise?

Unveiling planned for?

Grab a spare gas tank off a mini bike or somthing to get it running in the mean time.

I am very much looking forward to seeing this retro ride completed.

Congrats on the progress and welcome to Ninjette.

The stranger the better around these parts. Just REMEMBER ATGATT

You going to need an 80s jacket to go with that ride!
What was your first project bike?

When I tear the front end apart to re-seal it and put new head bearings in, I'm going to drop in some progressive springs, and possibly emulators (I have to do more research on the benefits of those).

As soon as I find a reputable vendor with pre-made braided lines, I'll be replacing all the rubber hydraulic lines with braided. I've got some DOT 4 brake flush that I'm going to bleed through the system in the mean time.

Paint scheme is going to be quite simple. The tank and fender will be Sunset Orange Metallic. Everything else on the bike will be blacked out, with some random polished pieces here and there.

I was real close to ordering a Motion Pro auxiliary fuel tank last night, but ended up ordering new throttle cables instead. I've actually got a few old weedwhackers out in the shed that I could canibilize a tank off of.

Any suggestions on retro-styled gear? I haven't bought anything yet... not even a helmet. I'm debating wether I trust my melon inside a $60 DOT helmet off Amazon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
That kicks ass! That's an amazing feeling when you feel the point at which your work starts to pay off. Keep us posted!
It really is... I've been smiling all morning. I can't wait to move further forward on this beast. She's got an exhaust leak at the head, but sounds nice regardless.

Ninja Edit -- Adding picture of the rear light working

Last futzed with by hawkxcore; August 26th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #22
Country Joe
Grouchy Old Squid

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 1993 Yamaha FJ 1200 ABS, 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT-S

I'm loving your build thread. I'm kind of an old school guy, I was deeply immersed in the motorcycle scene of the 70s and 80s. In fact, my current bike is a 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200. I am here at Ninjette.com since my son bought a 2006 Ninja 250 that was sorta rough but still a good runner. I figure I will be able to get any tips or tricks that I may need to get the Ninja ready for my son. At this time, it is rideable but I'm not entirely happy with the jetting. It came with a full Muzzy exhaust system and a K&N in the airbox. It runs great everywhere except at small throttle openings, then there is a significant flat spot.
Anyway, your build looks great, the only suggestion that I would have so far is to pass on the progressive springs and get straight rate fork springs suited to your weight. Progressive springs are truly 80s tech that really needs to be left there. Trying to set up fork valves with progressive springs is a very frustrating process. You will be much happier going with the emulators, straight rate springs and the oil viscosity that the fork valve manufacturer calls for. Just my long winded 2 cents worth...
Joe
Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #23
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

My grandfather helped me get a scooter going. The inside of the tank was badly rusted. I was 12 and it was a great ride for a kid my age

Yamaha champ
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #24
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Very nice build thread so far! I liked your first taillight, but the second fits with the body lines better..

Keep it up!

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #25
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Not much to report for progress...

Still haven't gotten my tank and fender back; going on week 3, and starting to get pissed. Chain and sprockets are due in by Wednesday. Got the bar end mirrors on, and just mounted the headlight temporarily. Here's a terrible picture of that...

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #26
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Hey, man. Progress is progress. A little progress is better than a lot.

Old September 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #27
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Old September 12th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #28
QuickSiR
ninjette.org member

Name: Maxime

Motorcycle(s): Honda 599

Keep up the good work.
QuickSiR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #29
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Holy crap, am I pissed off.

Tank shop calls today and tells me the tank is trashed, can not be repaired. They said the paint bubbled up all over the place when they went to pressure test it. So I said that sucks, but I'll find another used tank, and get that one over to them to pressure test and seal when it comes in. I asked them to please leave my tank outside when they close so that I could come pick it up.

Well, I got there around 6pm. They left the tank in the back of a stake-body truck, dead center, will all the stakes in and locked so that I couldn't get to the tank. Luckily, I'm huge and have long arms, so I was able to just barely grab it, and pass it up to myself over the top of the stakes.

Here's the fun part. Remember how a few weeks ago, I put gravel in the tank and cleaned out all the rust? Yeah, well, the inside of the tank, the filler neck, the spot where I sanded down to bare metal to find the pinhole, and underneath where the petcock and level sensor mount.... rusted solid. It looks like this thing has been sitting out in the rain for the whole 3 weeks that they've had it.

It gets better. I'm looking it over to find where the "swiss cheese" of pinholes pushed the paint up. I can find ZERO evidence that there are any holes other than the one I found. NONE.

BUT! The one thing that the tank has now (aside from rust) that it didn't go there with? A huge ****ing dent on the front of it. Paint is all cracked and chipped off.

So, not only did I just buy a used tank off ebay even though mine isn't riddled with holes... I bought a used tank off ebay because some ASSHOLES decided they were gonna **** up my perfectly good tank, and try to cover it up and lie about it.

I'm withholding the name of the radiator shop until I get an official statement from them. If they fess up, I'll keep it to myself. If they lie more about it, I will plaster their name across the net.

Old September 14th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #30
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Well, I got there around 6pm. They left the tank in the back of a stake-body truck, dead center, will all the stakes in and locked so that I couldn't get to the tank. Luckily, I'm huge and have long arms, so I was able to just barely grab it, and pass it up to myself over the top of the stakes.
This part made me laugh, but dude, that really sucks. Maybe there's more to the story, but it does sound like they completely neglected your tank. If I were you, I woulda just used some JB Marine Weld, but I'm a total dumbass so I don't know if that'd be a good idea or not :P I figure since people can fix a cracked engine block with it, you could probably fix a leaky gas tank with it. Especially the Marine Weld, because it's made for both wet things and petroleum resistance.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Alex; September 14th, 2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: vid fixed

Old September 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #31
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

Quick update. The radiator and tank shop that did not take the blame for damaging my tank is City Radiator in Levittown, PA. I ended up sending it to Tom Craig Radiator in Palmyra, NJ, and had it back and repaired in two days. Still waiting for the body shop to finish repairing the physical damage that the first tank shop caused.

Here's how the bike stands with the chopped and painted fender.

Old September 13th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #32
hawkxcore
ninjette.org member

It's been a long time since an update. Here's a quick one until I get time to time up some updates.

Old September 14th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #33
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That's a sweet lookin color!!!