ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old June 6th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #1
lizardywizard
green stig

Name: V

Motorcycle(s): '15 Ninja 300 ABS (Hurricane)

MOTM - May '16
Etymotic High Definition earplugs vs. Hearos - Noob Review

So, full disclosure: I am a noob. My experience with motorcycles could... well, probably fill a reasonably-sized book, but it'd be poorly cited, factually inaccurate, and, to heavily paraphrase @toEleven, mostly consist of a tribute to the erotic art of motorcycle maintenance.

That said, I felt the need to review these products, because I've been writing amateur reviews of things since I was 10 as an unusual form of entertainment and I don't see fit to stop now.

So I was having problems with wind noise causing fatigue and headaches at faster speeds. The recommended solution to this? Earplugs. I bought some high-attenuation Hearos (-32db) at the local Cycle Gear as a stopgap, then got a pair of reusable, and thus ultimately cheaper if more expensive up front, Etymotic ER-20XS Motorsports earplugs from Amazon.

I assumed the Etymotics would be a superior product, due to their price and stated advanced design blah blah scientifically engineered foo. (Isn't everything scientifically engineered? Last I heard, engineering was a science.) On almost all fronts, that turned out not to be the case.

Firstly, the feel. I don't typically like the feel of standard crappy foam earplugs, but the Hearos are actually tolerable for me - they seem to be made out of a somewhat higher quality foam than the average. They're a little tough to get in, but once you do they're not uncomfortable.

The Etymotics are, by comparison, easier to get in; this is because you insert them in a manner like unto drilling a wall anchor into your ear. It feels like that, too. I probably have weird nerve positioning or something, but as I twirled the right one in I felt an unpleasant sensation run from my ear to my throat via that complex web of connections that makes you sneeze when you pluck your eyebrows (don't laugh, it's a thing), which made me cough and splutter and my eyes water. Not a good first start. They felt uncomfortable while they were in there, too.

On actual noise attenuation, the Hearos also have these beat. It says pretty plainly on the packaging that the Hearos offer a 32db reduction in noise and the Etymotics offer 20, and that is noticeable. I was more able to hear engine sounds, which is good, but I didn't feel like wind noise was cut to tolerable levels. Wearing the Hearos, it feels comparable to road noise in a car.

The Etymotics have a little tab on them to aid removal, which I guess is fortunate since it means I won't need professional attention if I accidentally drill through my eardrum. Well, not immediately, anyway. It's a nice idea, but the tab and base mostly just catch on the inside of my helmet when I'm pulling it on, which doesn't pull them out but again is uncomfortable. The Hearos get nudged a little by the pressure of the helmet, but much less.

Overall, after this trial, my right ear feels personally violated and is suing the rest of my body for damages. Also, I'm going to keep wearing the Hearos.

Last futzed with by lizardywizard; June 6th, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
lizardywizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #2
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Thumbs up

Seems like a pretty good review to me. The facts (decibel reduction) are what they are, nothing to debate there. The comfort is a matter of preference and individual physical characteristics. My only complaint is that I wasn't entirely sure which High Def earplugs you were referring to - the first Etymiotic google result is a $300 pair of active noise canceling earplugs.

I wear Surefire Sonic Defenders. Affordable, reusable, and quite comfortable in my ears. They're far better as riding ear plugs than they ever were on a gun range - race guns are loud.

Old June 6th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice review!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #4
lizardywizard
green stig

Name: V

Motorcycle(s): '15 Ninja 300 ABS (Hurricane)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Seems like a pretty good review to me. The facts (decibel reduction) are what they are, nothing to debate there. The comfort is a matter of preference and individual physical characteristics. My only complaint is that I wasn't entirely sure which High Def earplugs you were referring to - the first Etymiotic google result is a $300 pair of active noise canceling earplugs.

I wear Surefire Sonic Defenders. Affordable, reusable, and quite comfortable in my ears. They're far better as riding ear plugs than they ever were on a gun range - race guns are loud.
Ah, whoops! They're the ER-20XS Motorsports ones. Will add that to the review.

I'll have to try those out, thanks!

Old June 7th, 2016, 04:27 AM   #5
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I am currently using the Sonic EP5 ear plugs. I really like them on the bike, fit well under the helmet, are comfortable, easy to insert.

I've used other models of the Sonic as well including the EP3, EP4, and EP7. The EP7's had the best sound attenuations, but are the most difficult to insert.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 04:33 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Earplugs are a very personal thing, like helmets. What works for you works for you... but may not work for others.

Like others I've tried multiple styles. My biggest beef with a lot of foam plugs is that they're often too soft and wind up just mashing into my ear rather than getting fully into the ear canal before expanding.

Give the wax ones a try... good for a few uses before they get too grungy. Basically it's a blob of wax that you push into your ear... it molds precisely.

Somewhat OT since they're not earplugs per se, but on the road I use and absolutely love my PlugUp S-plug earbuds. Totally comfortable and they disappear into your ear canal so no hot spots from the helmet. Isolation is superb so any audio I listen to can be kept at a reasonably low volume. I've also used these as straight earplugs... they're that good.

http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_ste...rbuds_s/67.htm

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 04:56 AM   #7
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Nice review! I use the Hearos also. The flange style plugs kill my ears. So we probably have the same weird nerve positioning.

I just wish the Hearos came with a better case. i can get a good long time out of one set. I should just use the one that came with the nonoise plugs i have...

*goes off to look for case*

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote