Old July 13th, 2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Tomorrow I take delivery of a new-to-me 8th gen 2014 VFR800 Deluxe
How is it? I really wanted to buy the newest gen VFR, but the Honda dealership didn't have any to test ride and wanted me to our a deposit down to order one. I'm not gonna buy a bike without riding it, regardless of the reviews. So, if went with a ducati instead. Plus, the douche salesman made fun of me for riding a 250 ninja and asked me if I was "ready for a big boy bike".
Bluberryrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2018, 10:30 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluberryrain View Post
Plus, the douche salesman made fun of me for riding a 250 ninja and asked me if I was "ready for a big boy bike".
Gee, nothing like making you feel welcome, huh?

It's funny, because I often hear how fondly people remember their 250s. I pull up, and they say "I used to have one of those, was a fun bike. "
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
How is it? I really wanted to buy the newest gen VFR, but the Honda dealership didn't have any to test ride and wanted me to our a deposit down to order one. I'm not gonna buy a bike without riding it, regardless of the reviews. So, if went with a ducati instead. Plus, the douche salesman made fun of me for riding a 250 ninja and asked me if I was "ready for a big boy bike".
Interesting sales technique there.

I'd probably at least find another sales person, or maybe another dealership.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Interesting sales technique there.

I'd probably at least find another sales person, or maybe another dealership.
Oh yeah, I sarcastically went "heh. Yeah." Turned around and left.

I waited another year to upgrade, and went to the ducati dealer instead who was amazing. People often judge me because I'm in my late 20s, and dress very casually everywhere i go. It's only until they see my income and credit on the finance application they take me serious. Except for Ducati. They treated me amazingly from the get go. They even stayed late after closing to let me test ride bikes!

Side Story- I went to a Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer and was looking at the bigger ninjas/zx series as well as the R6/fZ series. Salesman was following me around as I went from bike to bike sitting on them and giving my feedback to my wife. I mentioned I didn't like the ergonomics of the new r6/r1, and the dude got super offended and said "If you're not Comfortable just sitting on the thing now, you're not going to like riding get it. Maybe you should just stick to the bikes meant for boring people." I responded that maybe it would just take getting used to, as it's a bit more aggressive than the ninjette, and that when you're riding it- it may not matter as much. He responds "Well, are you going to actually buy anything or just sit on our bikes and fingerprint them up?"

...I was trying to hint to the guy that I may actually like the bike of I just rode it. Instead of offering a test ride, he hits me with that. Funny thing is, I very well may have bought the zx-6 that day. But nope he had to be a douche. Once again, I just packed up and left immediately.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Gee, nothing like making you feel welcome, huh?

It's funny, because I often hear how fondly people remember their 250s. I pull up, and they say "I used to have one of those, was a fun bike. "
Yeah, he was young and dumb. Probably not even old enough to drink. So when someone older than him comes in with a "lesser" bike than his, the ego kicks in. He had a cbr 600rr, and the tank had a sticker on it that said "sex juice." Also, a sticker on the other side that said "I don't stop for cops."

Old July 16th, 2018, 10:49 AM   #8
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
OOooh, boy, he sure sounds like a winner.

Good thing there are other places to go to get your bikes and stuff.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM   #9
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
A lot of people really like it, but I found I really had to get used to it. The ergos are WAY too sporty for my tastes, and my back problems. I was uncomfortable immediately, but I figured I had to get used to it, and catch-up with my physical therapy. I bought it anyway because, well I just did. The power was very addictive and the 8th gen dash is one of the prettiest there is. So I bought it with plans of making adjustments to the ergos, but wasn't sure if I'd keep it past 6 months if I couldn't get used to it.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a CBR500r, which is VERY, VERY relaxed, much like the Ninja 650, 1000. With my Corbin seat it was PERFECT (less engine and suspension).

Since I bought the VFR I am doing much better, but am still working things out. First thing was to adjust the seat. There are 2 positions for the front of the seat, and 2 for the rear, for a total of 4 positions. Since I was leaned over too far I put is all the way down, even though my knees want more room (which isn't too bad if coming from a Ninjette, but I was used to my CBR500r). The only aftermarket fix I've been able to get to thus far was to get the largest blocks motopumps makes to raise the handlebars (1.25"). That helped, but not perfect. Honestly the cables couldn't give anymore anyway.

When I get some more cash I'll add Knight Design foot-pegs, which will drop them 1 3/8". It won't be as much room as on my 500, but still a significant difference. I'm pretty used to the pegs now, so it's really only longer rides this will benefit.

I usually put Corbins on my bikes, and unfortunately they didn't make a single seat for the 8th gen, only the long banana style, so I'm not even thinking about that now. The Honda seats aren't terrible though.

This bike is heavy, and the turning radius isn't as good, but it is a different beast. The weight isn't an issue when moving, and I'm very comfortable in traffic (including splitting). I do get my wife to spot me if I'm rolling it up or down from the lift. Don't want any accidents like I did when my 500 was new. Parking lots take a lot of care. The 250 could be pushed around like nothing, and the 500 could be maneuvered with ease. The VFR takes a LOT of getting used to at slow speed. The hydraulic clutch is a lot heavier, and takes some mastery to skillfully and confidently do tight U-turns. Also, until the bars were raised, my forearms would hit the tank, also making U-turns difficult. I still have to make a slight adjustment to my position, but it is better.

I can go on, but I think I got a lot of my initial impressions and early solutions down here. I'm liking it, so don't read this like I'm disappointed in the purchase, it just isn't as easy as I had hoped. I'm happy to answer other questions, but have to get back to work for now.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote