Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #1
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Bike Thieves and Sidestand/Parking Fail

So I got home on my 2009 250r Saturday Night and started parking in my usual spot at the end of the upper level of the car park behind my apartment, I chain it to the railing and cover it, it does not take up a parking space and is overlooked by half the apartments which is always a good deterrent. A Transalp is parked in the opposite corner not 20 steps away. Car park has a gate that needs a clicker to get in and out of, but as 100 people park in their if you wait long enough eventually someone will let you in. However the gate was broken so left open.

As I park a neighbor comes along and tells me that on about 3am, 2 lads where looking at the bikes they took of the covers and looked with a torch and put the covers back on. He heard them because they hit their torch of the railing. Apparently they went to great lengths to not be seen, they did not enter the lit up car park then went to the trouble of using the dark empty field beside it and climbing up to that level so they could check out the bikes from behind the fence without being seen. They probably needed a ladder for this.

Anyway I guess what was going on was they would figure out what bikes are under the covers and if they where worth lifting then assuming they want it come back with whatever tools where needed to do the job the next night. So I decided short term to park the bike somewhere else more inaccessible.

This is where the problem started, I moved it out of site and got it where I wanted and was sure it could not be taken even if they found it. I walked away from it for 30 seconds to pick up something and hear it falling over off the sidestand, doh! So this was the damage I saw that night and the following morning

1. Fairing around left front indicator cracked and indicator pushed in, although its loose the indicator is intact and works
2. More deep scratches on the fairing
3. Gear shift lever bent in
4. end of clutch lever broken off
5. scratch on left bar end
6. dent in rear bodywork
7. small amount of fluid leaked from the front around radiator area

Next morning more stuff had leaked out, seemed to come from the 2 overflow pipes, mostly the short one. Moved the bike and left it for a few hours, nothing further seemed to leak out. Checked oil and brake fluid levels all seemed good, I still had a little fuel as the bike was pretty empty when I parked it anyway this also appeared fine. Could not really see the coolant level with the fairing on and the harsh light.

Started first time, let it warm up and moved it up and down the car park a few times, seemed to be working fine. Drove it a little while and it did not seem to get any warmer than it normally does.

So I've moved and parked it somewhere far away from where I live and can work on it, ordered a new clutch lever and left fairing which might take 3 weeks to get to me. Not worried about the bar end, shift lever or chip on the rear plastic at the moment. They will be fixed in time but are not vital at the moment. Cost is about as much as being clamped in a car for illegally parking, so when I think about it like that it does not seem so bad, just unpleasant

The parking issue was my fault totally, but I'm still mad about those scumbags looking at my bike ready to steal it in such a business like fashion. Had that neighbor not seen them it would be gone by now. Probably without any cracks from my parking fail but gone. I don't think anything mechanical should be broke by a side-stand fall anything else I should look out for?

Plan is,
1. Get Immobiliser/alarm with remote pager fitted next week
2. Replace left fairing and clutch lever in about 3 weeks
3. Bring it back home and hope the bike thieves have forgot about it, or assumed I moved house or someone else already nicked it.

I'm open to any other suggestions on security and mechanical things to check, I figure I need to look at the coolant level and that's it? Remember that most of the crooks here, park a van, cut the chain with power tools and lift the whole thing into a van and drive off at speed, I guess these guys had a van somewhere if they had a ladder handy. Things like disc-locks are useless if they lift it as once its gone they have all the time in the world to figure out how to get this stuff off.

Old April 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Internatrix TW-1000 alarm, $150-ish and a couple hours install if you do it the way I did, less if you do it the way they suggest.

Also a solar powered motion detecting light might help fend off those that want to remain unseen.

A call to the land lord and police is also in order so that they can set up a sting to grab the a-holes. A cheap wireless video recorder with night vision would be wise too, two cameras if you can so that one can be up high where they can not get it, and one can be down low to see faces under hats. The one down low will be a sacrifice because as soon as they see it, they will destroy it.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

sorry to hear it
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Tips and thieves suck A#$..... Sorry Karl..
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #5
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Yea man, that defiantly sucks.

I hate tip overs... but i hate bike thieves even more!

I know one day at work my bike is going to disappear. Two people and a pickup truck... and my bike would be gone in 5seconds. Sucks insurance only gives out a percentage of the true value of it!

Good luck with the repairs and thieves.
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Very sorry to hear about that. It sucks that we have to go to such great lengths to protect our property.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #7
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Bait 'em them shoot 'em....that's just me....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #8
caliente103
ninjette.org member

Name: HECTOR

Motorcycle(s): Red 08 250r

Ill call Tony in NJ
caliente103 is offline   Reply With Quote