Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:23 AM   #1
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

A* '10 SPS Glove

Wazup fellow Ninjettes?

I just received my new pair of Alpinestars SPS gloves. I have included some pics with my review to follow:

Packaging

Back Hand (flat)

Front Hand (flat)

Front Hand (on)

Back Hand (on)

Side 1 (thumb)

Front Hand (fist)

Side 2 (wrist)

Tag

ALPINESTARS SPS GLOVE

Size: M

PRO: Protection, Comfort, Styling

CON: Fit, Construction, Price

Ok, so I would like to mention that I have wanted these gloves for quite a while now. I actually tried a pair of these on at a CycleGear store nearby, but they were a small. The reason I even tried those on was to get a feel for them and figure out if I truly need a medium since I was going to order them. Of course the small didn't fit well, as they were super restrictive and I couldn't get my hand in all the way, as my fingers hit the end of the glove before it could wrap around my wrist.

So, I knew I needed a medium and went home and ordered them through RevZilla along with my other items. I ended up paying $90, but honestly I think this should be a $70 to $75 glove tops, as much of it is perforated leather. However, I love the styling and protection that it offers, as well as the comfort, so I was willing to pay $90 to get what I wanted. I did try many other different gloves on even ones I didn't like the looks of, but I had problems with the way they all felt. I either had some stitching irritate me, or the knuckle protection not line up, or the glove simply didn't fit right.

The only gloves I have been using up till now were my military gloves both fast roping and flight gloves. However, the fast roping gloves lacked in dexterity and the flight gloves lacked in protection. I do wished that CycleGear had the SPS in medium because if they did I am not sure if I would have still purchased them.

Now, this SPS glove is a great glove don't get me wrong, but for me it just doesn't fit the way I think it should. The glove fits great in the length for all my fingers except my index finger, as it sits at the end of the glove. However, that isn't really my issue. My issue is that width wise I think the glove is a little big because they are not even broken in yet and I have some extra material fold up in the palm when I clinch my hand into a fist. Another thing I am concerned about is that the length of the cuff doesn't wrap around my wrist all the way, as the wrist bone pad just covers part of it.

The SPS glove is very functional, as it allows you to move your hand without changing the fit of the glove and moving the protection away. It is also very light and relatively warm considering all the perforation. I think that is because of the polyester lining. It is fully 100% goatskin leather, which really feels comfortable. It has great padding and protection all the way around, as you can see from the pics. I am just not sure how well the stitching will hold up next to the perforated leather seams. I guess I will find out soon enough.

BOTTOM LINE

Again, I have been wanting these gloves for a while now because of their protection, comfort, and length. Since my only option to try on gloves was at CycleGear and a local dealership, I chose the pair that felt and looked the best to me after trying on all the different types of gloves even though the small in the SPS glove was all they had and it wasn't even the correct size. However, It did help me determine that in that glove my size is definitely a medium, but even so the medium clearly doesn't fit ideally to my hand as I think it should.

Overall, I am still happy with my purchase, but I think $90 might have been too much to spend on them depending on how long they end up lasting me. Still, they are far more comfortable than anything else I tried on and they are far more protective and functional than what I have been using.

Considering how I now know how the sizing for Alpinestars gloves fluctuates between the different models and sizes due to the unique sizing of my own hand, I really can't recommend to anyone to buy the SPS glove. I definitely think you should try a pair on if you can find a store that carries them, so that you can see how you like them personally. However, with motorcycle gloves you simply can't assume that someone else's hand size is the same as yours, even if they are the same glove size. Also, you can't assume that each glove from a specific manufacture is going to fit the same. Best bet is to simply go some where and find what you like and what fits YOUR hand the best.

I hope this review was helpful.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Good review...Thanks...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #3
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

You are so very welcome Yasko. I am glad you liked it.

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

I might have missed it, but how ell did those breath?
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #5
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalv View Post
I might have missed it, but how ell did those breath?
They breath really good, as they are perforated in areas all around the glove.

I actually wore them while riding at my BRC in the rain today. I was extremely surprised how well they held up. Considering they got soaked my hands kept relatively warm in a poring down rain of about 52 degree weather and about 20 MPH wind. At first, my index finger was hurting because it was already brushing against the glove and the initial exposure to the rain and cold made them shrink some. However, as the day went on they stretched some and felt better. I wouldn't recommend these gloves as an all season glove, but it is nice to know that if I ever find myself in the same type of weather conditions that I was riding in today, that these gloves can take it.

The problem now is getting them dry for tomorrow without sacrificing their fit. I am hoping they will be dry enough by tomorrow to wear comfortably.

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #6
onizthegnome
certified newbie

Name: oniz

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r blue

so how are your gloves doing so far? what are the measurements of your hand? im trying to figure out if a snug medium fit is better than a large with slight looseness. i measured my hand to be 8" and middle finger length 3.5".

Old April 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #7
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

@ onizthegnome

You will definitely want to go with the medium, as they will stretch out. Again, the problem I found is that a few of my fingers were a little bit longer than what you would want in a glove and my palm wasn't as thick as what you would want in a glove. I think I explained everything in my review.

The gloves themselves are holding up really well! After riding with them in the rain for a whole day I was able to stretch them out where they fit my fingers better. Of course I could have easily just got them wet myself and done this, but you are not really suppose to soak this glove, but the day it was raining I had no choice but to ride in it. Again, the glove isn't as snug as I would like it too be, especially cause of it stretching, but there was no way my hand was fitting in the small, and I know my hand would be slipping out of the large.

Again, I would advise you to try the gloves on and then go with the size that fits the snuggest while covering and lining up with your hand properly.

Good luck!

Old April 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Bo0stZomb13
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

The local nex has several sets of these for 49.99-59.99. Was looking at getting a set but wasnt 100% sure on them. Think I may look at them tommorow a little more. Thanks
Bo0stZomb13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #9
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

You are so very welcome.