ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Prime
ninjette.org member

Name: Oliverio

Motorcycle(s): None yet

3/4 Glove recomendations?

Hey all, glove talk now. I saw and am very impressed with the Alpinestars S1. There is a very good review on Revzilla (I was sold at least haha). One of the big things about this glove is the outer wrist protection that would work alongside your elbow/forearm armor of the jacket. The Alpinestars SP-X has similar features, but way more toned down in terms of protection. I'm really trying to steer away from the full gauntlet only because it seems like a bit of overkill for commuting. They also seem like a much bigger hassle to deal with, and I don't want to be making excuses not to wear any part of my gear, on any ride, ATGATT right?

My main focus at the moment is building up my gear collection for my commute/weekend getaways. Nothing extreme as I'm a complete newby. Does anyone have experience with these gloves? Or know of other gloves with similar features (short of full gauntlets)?

Gracias,
Oliverio

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I've had previous models and were not really satisfied with the durability for the high price. I have since went to gauntlets from less expensive manufacturers for all my commuting needs.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #3
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

gauntlets are the way to go(If you value your hands). try looking at the teknic lightnings, you can get them for 90 bucks I think, they have the knox scapoid protection, and some other pretty cool features.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Agreed...gauntlets are definitely the way to go. They provide an extra degree of protection and support. Go with the SP1 if you want to stick with A*s. Otherwise there are a lot of good gauntlets out there. The S1 is more of an MX style glove where you need the extra wrist flexibility because half the time you are standing on the pegs and the front end is bobbing up and down. If this is happening on a Ninja 250R, you are doing something SERIOUSLY wrong.

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Prime
ninjette.org member

I'm by no means dead set on the A*'s, they did grab my attention. I'll continue my search into gauntlet territory. Thanks all.

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Is a "3/4 glove" simply a normal non-gauntlet glove?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Gauntlets blow, let's hear some more suggestions on shorter gloves.

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Hey all, glove talk now. I saw and am very impressed with the Alpinestars S1. There is a very good review on Revzilla (I was sold at least haha). One of the big things about this glove is the outer wrist protection that would work alongside your elbow/forearm armor of the jacket. The Alpinestars SP-X has similar features, but way more toned down in terms of protection. I'm really trying to steer away from the full gauntlet only because it seems like a bit of overkill for commuting. They also seem like a much bigger hassle to deal with, and I don't want to be making excuses not to wear any part of my gear, on any ride, ATGATT right?

My main focus at the moment is building up my gear collection for my commute/weekend getaways. Nothing extreme as I'm a complete newby. Does anyone have experience with these gloves? Or know of other gloves with similar features (short of full gauntlets)?

Gracias,
Oliverio

I just picked up a pair of sedicchi gauntlet gloves at cycle gear after my A* sp2's fell apart, they look and feel identical to my sp2's other then the leather is a little thinner, They by no means feel as if they would not protect. they were like 40 bucks and i think would make great commuter gloves due to price and give you the same protection as higher end gloves.

As a commuter you need more gear not less. The reason i say this is you are out there more, dealing with more traffic and more opportunities to go down. The risk is just as high if not higher for a commuter then a track rider or weekend hit the twisties rider. There is no such thing as overkill.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #9
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I had the alpinestars S1, but later returned them. The leather is really thin, the stitching was uncomfortable, and velcro closure is not very secure since it just lets go if you pull hard enough(I guess cause they used some sort of plastic). Try held too, they make really good gloves. I hear these are really good if you are only wanting 3/4.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7771

I have Held pole positions (no longer made I think replaced by the akira). These are full gauntlets but the level of comfort is the same as wearing short gloves.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #10
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

I have one pair of scorpion xdr gunner gauntlet gloves that I only wear sometimes. I use them for the winter, cold mornings or rain. They are great, I would recommend them to anyone needing a cold/wet weather glove. I wear rev'it monster gloves any other time though. They are perfect for me, I wear them 9-10 months out of the year with no issue.

Don't know if anyone else has the same experience, but I'd pick anything over Astars gloves. They look great, but for the cost they're not worth it to me as a daily commuter glove. I've had two pairs and both started coming apart rather quick. Astars has good customer service, though. The second pair I had separated at the thumb / index finger area after 3 weeks, and they replaced them for me trouble free. The new pair lasted 3 months before the same, plus more "wear and tear" issues occurred.. This was for their sps glove.

But anyways. I prefer short gloves. More protection is nice with gauntlets, but I get way too hot with them driving around here when it hits 90-100+. I only like gauntlets when its cold or rain so I can seal up my jacket sleeve with them.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Short gloves simply aren't safe...my last off involved a right hand injury when the Short glove failed then was ripped off. Took 2 months to heal. Try not using your dominant hand for a few months and trust me, you won't compromise ever again. The key on gauntlets is to save up and buy GOOD ones. Held or Knox. They are built using thinner, but stronger leathers and have lots of ventilation. The wrist enclosures are even and secure. Short gloves simply can't compare in terms of safety in a higher speed off bike excursion. The ultimate cool glove is probably the Held Airstream. Take any short glove you want and compare them for airflow and protection.

I have Knox Handroids and they are suburbly comfortable. Will probably order a pair of Held Titans to compare.

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #12
kkim

I have a pair of Held Steve gloves and can attest to their quality of construction. Great company to purchase gloves from.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #13
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldbuster View Post
Will probably order a pair of Held Titans to compare.
1st off, I cant help but to wonder if anyone else feels as if you're yelling because of your avatar? I always imagine you riding your bike and seeing someone not if full gear, and you turn into your avatar lol. But, +1 on those titans. They look good.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #14
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
1st off, I cant help but to wonder if anyone else feels as if you're yelling because of your avatar? I always imagine you riding your bike and seeing someone not if full gear, and you turn into your avatar lol. But, +1 on those titans. They look good.
hahaha same here XD
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #15
Prime
ninjette.org member

Held Air Streams look pretty breezy! How would you guys rate them in terms of protection? They don't look as sturdy as other gauntlets.

Thoughts on the REV'IT! Airvolutions?

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #16
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Held Air Streams look pretty breezy! How would you guys rate them in terms of protection? They don't look as sturdy as other gauntlets.

Thoughts on the REV'IT! Airvolutions?
If there is any company I'd trust on a vented glove, it would be Held. Those guys give good glove. Try this review...
Held Airstream Glove Review

With the way they are constructed, they go way beyond most companies top line gloves. They have full Tzar approval.

Avatar? What Avatar? That is a picture of me at work directing minions.

Squids feel the wrath of the Safety Tzar. If they escape...eventually they feel my partner...the Abrasion Tzar. His wrath is worse than mine.