ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 11th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

**If you ride, please read this*** (airbag gear)

Im going to post this in the gear section as well. But I wanted to post it here to maximize coverage. As we all know, no matter how you slice it, riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous than driving a car. We all know or have heard about the bad things that can happen resulting from motorcycle crashes.

For those of you who may not be aware, the next generation of safety gear is incorporating air bag technology to reduce the chance of severe injury to the rider. Both in the equestrian and motorcycle community, this technology is starting to make a name for itself with increasing accounts of severe injury or death having been prevented by use of these products.

As with most evolving technology, price doesnt always come cheap and some of these air bag vests/jackets have been retailing for $600 or more. However, I've been researching getting an air baf jacket over the last few days and I found an online retailer with FANTASTIC prices who also OFFERS AN 8% MILITARY DISCOUNT. You can get awesome prices on the closeout 2010 products and with with the .mil discount, its becomes irrational to pass up the deal. Now to be clear, I have no connection whatsoever with the retailer Im going to post and Im just passing this on to fellow riders.

Anyway, the retailer is Crashbounce. If you go to crashbounce.com you can learn more about the Hitair technology used in the products they sell.

I personally went with the GP2 jacket:

which is on closeout for $389.99.

I know its not cheap, but many of us will easily spend that much money on crap like fancy graphic designed helmets and knicknacks for our bikes. This seems like a small cost to pay for an increased degree of protection.

Anyway, Im passing this on as it is a great deal for a great product. I emailed Mike at crashbounce and he said they are going on hiatus for 15 days this month in which they wont ship unless they have the product on hand. So if youre going to order, call in to check on the availability of your items. The code for the .mil discount is MILDIS.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

***If you ride, please read this***

Im going to post this in the gear section as well. But I wanted to post it here to maximize coverage. As we all know, no matter how you slice it, riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous than driving a car. We all know or have heard about the bad things that can happen resulting from motorcycle crashes.

For those of you who may not be aware, the next generation of safety gear is incorporating air bag technology to reduce the chance of severe injury to the rider. Both in the equestrian and motorcycle community, this technology is starting to make a name for itself with increasing accounts of severe injury or death having been prevented by use of these products.

As with most evolving technology, price doesnt always come cheap and some of these air bag vests/jackets have been retailing for $600 or more. However, I've been researching getting an air baf jacket over the last few days and I found an online retailer with FANTASTIC prices who also OFFERS AN 8% MILITARY DISCOUNT. You can get awesome prices on the closeout 2010 products and with with the .mil discount, its becomes irrational to pass up the deal. Now to be clear, I have no connection whatsoever with the retailer Im going to post and Im just passing this on to fellow riders.

Anyway, the retailer is Crashbounce. If you go to crashbounce.com you can learn more about the Hitair technology used in the products they sell.

I personally went with the GP2 jacket:

which is on closeout for $389.99.

I know its not cheap, but many of us will easily spend that much money on crap like fancy graphic designed helmets and knicknacks for our bikes. This seems like a small cost to pay for an increased degree of protection.

Anyway, Im passing this on as it is a great deal for a great product. I emailed Mike at crashbounce and he said they are going on hiatus for 15 days this month in which they wont ship unless they have the product on hand. So if youre going to order, call in to check on the availability of your items. The code for the .mil discount is MILDIS.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #3
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Thanks, Eric. Looks like promising technology. I'm personally waiting a bit for more detailed studies and reviews. Even with great technology, I tend not to be an early adopter, preferring to let more data come in. Wait for second model year of new cars, don't buy betamax, skip the first recalls as they work out the bugs, etc. I'm most likely being too conservative with distrust of manufacturer claims, but I need a bit more to be convinced that they do well in all circumstances. Call me slightly skeptical, but cautiously optimistic.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #4
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

i'd like to see how this works. i work at Ford's seatbelt and airbag supplier so i know a bit about airbags. im wondering how the airbag deploys...it usually uses a small hot gas inflator which doesn't seem like it'd be very nice going off that close to your body
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #5
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Im pretty sure these are nitrogen or co2 based...similar to a mini dive tank. No temp problems.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #6
sneak78
ninjette.org member

Name: matthieu

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r 2010 green

0.25s: don't buy it. A good cable operated airbag opens in 80ms, the bering wireless opens in 160ms and it's a huge security problem which makes a lot of people continue to buy wire operated ones.

250ms: it'll open after you felt, causing over injuries.
Could help in the case of a slide ending on an obstacle but not for a lowside, neither for a highside and clearely not for a projection of a car (80ms airbags could help in this case!)

My way of thinking: an airbag can help in some situations, but it can only be added on top of a full good equipement (trousers included, every inch of skin from the top of the head to the feet, strong leather, armalith or kevlar with effective protections like the D3O ones).

I've seen "miracles" with simple cheap good leather trousers and jacket... Around me people buying airbag jacket don't have that full equipment, much cheaper, much more effective.
sneak78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #7
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

how does the airbag know when to deploy? lol

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #8
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
how does the airbag know when to deploy? lol
nevermind, i just read on the site. this product seems ineffective lol. CO2 wont deploy fast enough to fill the bag to protect you from anything. plus, you could already be upside down, over the windshield before the pin even gets pulled off the key.

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #9
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

I'm with Gfloyd on this one. I will definitely buy one in the future when this becomes more established but, for the early adopters this is a fantastic opportunity.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #10
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Alex: This thread has a duplicate. I guess they should be merged. Here is the second one.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81999

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to Motorcycle gear

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #12
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

only $600? I can only imagine what Dainese's system will cost for street riders.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This vest has a little more video and data that is currently being seen by this post. webBikeworld has also done reviews on various air vest and jackets as well. The technology and benefit is definitely worth looking into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GseAN...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jAv...1&feature=fvwp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ao0...layer_embedded

This is an actual crash video from a Ninja 250 rider a few weeks ago who had a HitAir vest on. http://www.ninja250forum.com/index.p...76.0;msg=29421
http://www.youtube.com/user/callmebu...22/y4urCpq0x60
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #14
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

I just purchased an air bag vest from Armored Air Jackets a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a size up and just wear it over my current gear. They sell for $250 which is one of the cheapest I found. I think it is still a little overpriced for what is basically a creative self inflating life vest inside of a mesh shell vest. The shipping from this company is a joke though. They took over a week to ship (I can look past that part). However they charge $30 shipping and then sent it out in a USPS Flat Rate Priority box, which costs about $11. The instructions seem to be poorly translated from China. Overall i'd say for the product itself I am pleased with the purchase. I know there's some debate as to whether these work but IMO it's worth the risk.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote