ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Sh*tty day just got worse:(

I was already in kind of a bad mood because I had just gotten a ticket at my campus for parking without a permit. At least it's only for 25$:/ I ALWAYS buy one but just didn't have the 2 bucks for it today and said "F*ck it" since I was running late for class. I feel bad for giving the security guy the bird on the way out since it's just his job. And because I am pretty sure he'll be checking that I have a permit EVERY DAY from now on. lol.
So, how could my day get worse? Easy! By dropping my sweet lover!
I was going about 8 mph, coming to a stop about to make a right turn on an off ramp light when I saw it. One of those thick, slippery, plastic "Vote for" signs that had managed to find it's way directly in my path. I tried to avoid it but failed. I was using the front brake and as soon as the tire went over it (even though I barely hit it) the bike slipped like a cartoon stepping on a banana peel. It all happened so quickly and before I knew it I was on my feet, too embarrassed to even look at the cars behind me. I Picked my poor baby up (which was surprisingly easy) and rolled her to the sidewalk.
The good news is that the sliders saved my fairings for the most part. They did bend a little, causing a scratch just above it but that's nothing compared to what it'd look like if they weren't there. Surpisingly nothing broke! The turn signal, mirror, and pipe was scratched but I'm not that distraught since they all had scratches from the previous owner's drop. The worst part of it all was my rear brake pedal which had been twisted (only the actual pedal part). What would you guys do? Fix the pedal with a pair of pliers or order a new one? I also noticed the pipe has been bent in a bit. Is this anything to worry about?

I am fine. I managed to hit my elbow pretty hard, but it isn't sore and there isn't a scratch on my A* jacket or my gloves The only damage to my gear is on my boot. Which I can only assume came from coming into contact with the still-spinning tire when I fell over.

Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Pipes more streamline now just leave it as long as the joint to the header looks good

man handle the brake lever back into shape, heat would help but probably not necessary. If by chance I brakes then you go buy a new one, plus rear brakes are for noobs
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

You should be able to bend the pedal back, sand the metals with high grit sand paper and re spray handle with black rattle can and find a chrome/aluminum spray for the muffler bracket thingy.

Sounds like because you had the front wheel stopped when it made contact with the sign you basically parked the front wheel on the sign while the rear wheel pushed you since the sign has less friction than your wheel.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
So sorry to read this, Mike.

It seems very bad, but you were lucky not making any contact with the cars behind you, and also getting so little damage to the bike.

The pedal is soft steel; hence, it is relatively easy to re-shape to original or close enough.

It seems that the rest is light damage that cannot affect the performance of the bike.

Just keep an eye on the forks, which could have gotten twisted (easy fix).

Take some pain pills for that elbow, maybe the shoulder is going to hurt tomorrow.

Best !
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Pipes more streamline now just leave it as long as the joint to the header looks good
You're right. I like your positivity And as for checkin', am I looking for cracks? Leaks? or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Sounds like because you had the front wheel stopped when it made contact with the sign you basically parked the front wheel on the sign while the rear wheel pushed you since the sign has less friction than your wheel.
bent that bastard back to shape! and Yup, that's basically exactly what happened:/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
So sorry to read this, Mike.

It seems very bad, but you were lucky not making any contact with the cars behind you, and also getting so little damage to the bike.
Yup, didn't even cross my mind ATM but there could have been a semi behind me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Just keep an eye on the forks, which could have gotten twisted (easy fix).
I tried checkin' by eye and it looks fine. How can I test for sure? (I don't have a front stand:/)

Old February 8th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
I tried checkin' by eye and it looks fine. How can I test for sure? (I don't have a front stand:/)
You would notice that the handlebar is not perpendicular to the direction of the bike while riding.

That would mean that the front tire is twisted (slightly to the left in your case) respect to the handlebar.

If everything feels like always, there is no reason to worry or try to fix the triple clamps and forks.

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Everything seemed fine on my ride home. I'll double check during tomorrow's ride. Thanks for the help/info Moto!

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Ouch!!! Sucks bro, glad it wasn't any worse... People don't realise how dangerous their litter can be on the road, gotta be real careful out there... Do you think if you just rode over it, rather than tryin to avoid it or braking, the outcome would be any different?

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #9
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Ouch!!! Sucks bro, glad it wasn't any worse... People don't realise how dangerous their litter can be on the road, gotta be real careful out there... Do you think if you just rode over it, rather than tryin to avoid it or braking, the outcome would be any different?
Thanks man I know what you mean. I was about to leave the scene when I realized it could happen to another rider, so I dashed out when it was clear and picked the damn thing up. And to be honest, yes. If I had just gone straight over without being at an angle or braking I am pretty sure it would have been fine. But it was pretty close to the red light, and I was already at a slight angle by the time I even saw it appear from under the car ahead of me:/. Not to mention it was slightly raining. Thanks again and ride safe!

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #10
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Thanks man I know what you mean. I was about to leave the scene when I realized it could happen to another rider, so I dashed out when it was clear and picked the damn thing up. And to be honest, yes. If I had just gone straight over without being at an angle or braking I am pretty sure it would have been fine. But it was pretty close to the red light, and I was already at a slight angle by the time I even saw it appear from under the car ahead of me:/. Not to mention it was slightly raining. Thanks again and ride safe!
So the lesson for the future, use your brakes, and release if you have to go over something like that. 4 feet of no braking isn't going to hurt anything.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.........But it was pretty close to the red light, and I was already at a slight angle by the time I even saw it appear from under the car ahead of me.....
Always expect things suddenly appearing form under the center of the car ahead; be specially alert if the car does an avoidance maneuver.

The worst thing that I have seen appearing has been a 6-foot ladder.

Acquire the habit of staying on the track of the right or left tires of the car or truck ahead and keep as much distance as practical.

Yours was the typical skid while leaning or braking over wet leaves in the morning, only that yours was a huge plastic leave.

You are welcome, Mike.

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #12
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Name: Alfredo

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 f4i, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

Y'all disappointing me... lol

As for the permit issue. I had this happen to me once with my car, and I figured out the solution when it was too late.

Simply.... Find a person with a car who has payed for a permit BEFORE the time on your ticket, wait until they leave and kindly ask them for their permit since they won't be needing it anymore. Then contest the fine with the permit as "proof" that you did pay for parking... Then lie and say you were in such a rush that you didn't have time to run back to the bike and stick it on.
AlfredoGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #13
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

That sucks, sorry to read about that. I'm glad the sliders did their job and hope you can bend the pedal back.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredoGonzalez View Post
Simply.... Find a person with a car who has payed for a permit BEFORE the time on your ticket, wait until they leave and kindly ask them for their permit since they won't be needing it anymore.
That would have been the perfect solution. You don't happen to have a time machine, do you?

Old February 9th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
That sucks, sorry to read about that. I'm glad the sliders did their job and hope you can bend the pedal back.
Thanks Scott. I;ve already bent that b*tch back as best as I could. Now I just need to replace the rubbery stuff that was there previously. Any idea what this stuff could be?

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #16
80MPHdownhill
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Yes, please.

So I take it you're not voting for that guy?
80MPHdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #17
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Holy crap man glad you're okay, first me and now you...this week seems like a bad week for us lol. You can bend the brake back, that's what i did to mines and its pretty straight now . All in all glad you are okay man, and hope she is ready for another ride soon man, looks like we both got battle scars on our babies lol
alanmv567 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #18
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredoGonzalez View Post
Y'all disappointing me... lol

As for the permit issue. I had this happen to me once with my car, and I figured out the solution when it was too late.

Simply.... Find a person with a car who has payed for a permit BEFORE the time on your ticket, wait until they leave and kindly ask them for their permit since they won't be needing it anymore. Then contest the fine with the permit as "proof" that you did pay for parking... Then lie and say you were in such a rush that you didn't have time to run back to the bike and stick it on.
Be careful what you say....you might be next lol!! Just kidding wouldn't want to put that on anyone

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #19
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Save the ticket...

Quote:
I ALWAYS buy one but just didn't have the 2 bucks for it today and said "F*ck it" since I was running late for class.
First off, sorry to hear about the accident. As for the parking thing, that has happened to me before, the trick is to keep the ticket and if you park it without a permit later just place the ticket back on the bike. They will skip it thinking you were already ticketed. Works like a charm.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmv567 View Post
Holy crap man glad you're okay, first me and now you
I know, right? goo thing that neither of us are squids. Haha. And yeah I am fine too. My ass/hip is a little sore though but I am super glad that eveyrthing was minimal. Ride safe mang!

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
First off, sorry to hear about the accident. As for the parking thing, that has happened to me before, the trick is to keep the ticket and if you park it without a permit later just place the ticket back on the bike. They will skip it thinking you were already ticketed. Works like a charm.
HAHAHA, that's some f*cken wisdom right there! Thanks!!

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #22
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I know, right? goo thing that neither of us are squids. Haha. And yeah I am fine too. My ass/hip is a little sore though but I am super glad that eveyrthing was minimal. Ride safe mang!
Man I never want to get to squid level...so douchy haha.

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #23
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Name: Alfredo

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 f4i, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmv567 View Post
Man I never want to get to squid level...so douchy haha.
****ing hate squids... They give legit riders a bad name.
AlfredoGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #24
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Dang, that sucks. Glad to hear it wasn't anything major!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote