ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 25th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Checked out an aprillia 450 supermoto today..

6300 on the clock, asking 5300, would take 4700usd..

Tires roasted, brake pads gone, has new plastics because the old ones were faded to dust.. seat was bleached out from the sun, corrosion on the bars and forks etc..

Took it for a trip down driveway and back -- and a quarter-sized puddle of oil formed under the bike as soon as it parked. The seller immediately offered up that he had all the gaskets to replace and fix leaks. Couldn't see where the leak was (under skid plate).

Offered to throw in a few oil filters and spare decals.

Anyone familiar with this bike? For some reason I'm attracted to the supermoto bikes and would like one and they never pop up for sale. Realistically I need to put atleast 60k miles on my 250r (20k now) to feel like I've gotten my money's worth for all the parts I put on the 250r.

Any insight? Anyone familiar with these bikes? It was a damn nice machine, he said he'd taken it to 107mph and he set the shift limiter down 3k from where the factory put it, so I think the bike would pull almost 140... the speed I was last pulled over at in my car and by some stroke of luck was able to talk my way out of.

Damnit I want more 'bike' -- but I can't seem to keep myself from speeding excessively. 10 over is acceptable, 20 over, maybe, but tripling the speed limit is 30 days in prison here. My ninja pulls 92mph pinned in 6th up the highway, which i've become very accustomed to doing on the way home from work. Feels safe and stable at that speed in a tight tuck, apart from when we have a 60mph crosswind and I'm riding up the highway in a 15* lean into the wind. A strong gust sometimes blows me 4 lateral feet off course, almost into the other lane. On the flat, the 250r pulls 110+, and I've geared it DOWN as part of the mods.

Someone talk some sense into me. I need a better hobby than blasting down the street with complete disregard to traffic speed laws. Oddly it's my happy place. I don't like feeling that I need another wreck to get my head out of my arse.

In other news -- I don't think the supermoto would feel safe at high speeds due to the massively wide bars --- (jesus, those handgrips were atleast 20 inches apart.. and no windscreen to hide behind.)

Old April 25th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
corksil

brb vasectomy on monday so I don't selfishly knock some poor girl up and die on the kid leaving him a bastard child destined to grow up as an effeminate 'new age male' who shares his secrets with this hair dresser when he goes in for highlights and to get his bangs trimmed and refuses to leave the house when his face is feeling puffy and won't eat gluten and refuses to drink unfiltered water and is deathly afraid of high fructose corn syrup and doesn't like red meat and doesn't like modified vehicles because the exhaust messes with his sinuses and spends his life on facebook creating and maintaining a false self-image and becomes everything I hate about the next generation because he didn't have an alpha male father figure like rambo or arnold or john wayne or clint eastwood.

^ run on sentence.

Old April 25th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #3
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Ummm don't buy it. Sounds like it's in poor shape and Italian bikes aren't cheap to fix. Just buy a Yamaha wr450 that's converted. Anything over 70+ mph sucks ass on a supermoto if you ride for more than 20minutes at that speed. I think you need a Gixxer!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #4
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
If it's the v twin 450 don't buy it. They suck.

Old April 26th, 2014, 04:13 AM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
They are know for being really fast until they blow up. I have a friend that had one, he never had it out of the shop.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
sounds like a real gem and it was probably looked after really well.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 26th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #7
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
sounds like a real gem and it was probably looked after really well.
Actually these bikes are known for this problem. Apparently the main bearing seals were faulty from the factory. There are all kinds of stories over on the SMJ forums about it.

If you go through the whole engine and replace the seals then they are supposed to be pretty reliable. Like I said, I had a friend that had one but after it blew up on him he had it rebuilt and sold it and ended up getting a Beta 520.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #8
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

There is a guy I used to race with that has 3 sxv's. One for practice, heats, and mains. They are mechanical nightmares. It will blow up. Don't get one.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #9
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Walk away.

There are plenty of good used bikes to be bought, I'm sure even in Maui.

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Actually these bikes are known for this problem. Apparently the main bearing seals were faulty from the factory. There are all kinds of stories over on the SMJ forums about it.

If you go through the whole engine and replace the seals then they are supposed to be pretty reliable. Like I said, I had a friend that had one but after it blew up on him he had it rebuilt and sold it and ended up getting a Beta 520.
sarcasm

doesn't sound much like this guy gave 2 shits about anything and you can probably bet that he did not keep up with routine maintenance and probably beat it up pretty good. I wouldn't touch this bike unless it was all apart and i could see everything to get a better idea what kind of **** storm you are in store for

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #11
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I worked at an Aprilia dealer . The would not run when we got them from the factory. We had to change plugs ,Then take restrictions out of the exhaust and intake. Plus reprogram the computer. The rebuild time on the bottom end was like 3500 hours.

Old April 26th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #12
corksil

Thanks guys. I felt sad about passing up the bike.

Now I'm glad.

He was asking 2000 over bluebook. That's almost twice what kbb thinks the bike is 'worth' and i'd say it was in very poor condition.

Old April 26th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
some people think just because the bike is an aprilia or a ducati they can sell them used and abused for crazy amounts of cash.

Old April 26th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #14
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
ended up getting a Beta 520.
Aprilias, Husabergs and Betas, oh my!

That's on backorder....
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

That may be one of the few Aprillas you probably don't want to get. I'm not sure if you have a good dealer in your area, but a good dealer is definitely critical. I wouldn't have considered getting mine if I didn't know that I'd have a good dealer backing me up.

This is different from getting a Ninja 250R/300 (since people tinker with them all the time without the dealer's help and it's pretty easy).
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #16
corksil

Yep I passed up on it due to this thread. Thanks guys.

Old April 28th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
nice job on the snip snip though.

Old April 28th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #18
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
nice job on the snip snip though.
Went in today for what I thought was the procedure.

Turned out to be a consultation.

Took my vitals etc, told me not to take asprin and 400 other things within 7 days... then I spoke with the doctor who told me he's done 500 of these so far and hasn't had a single mistake with any of them, and my daily supplements won't be a problem, I should be able to drive myself home etc..

Told me he wishes he'd've done one because it would've really simplified his life.

Told me cigarette smoking wasn't much of a medical issue usually, unless someone has a psychological issue and is literally trying to kill themselves with the smokes.

Confirmed the rumor that my previous doctor did indeed drop dead with no warning at 54 yrs of age. No kids, perfect health, rode his bike to work every day, swam in the pool on lunch break every day, ate clean, perfect vitals.. And found floating dead in the pool on lunch break one day with no explanation. Went on to say in a somewhat medically-unprofessional manner -- 'smoke em if you've got em' -- his mother smoked for 60 years with no problems, and then this doctor who is an absolute picture of health drops dead for no reason..

Anyways dear diary, I should get some friends to talk to, my cat only wants to hear so much. /rambling.

Yeh vasectomy. The planet can't handle any more people. It's the dumb ones who have all the 15 welfare babies.. The smart ones are smart enough not to reproduce on a large scale. It's all going to isht, we are on a crash course straight for a cliff at high speed. Humanity has overstayed it's time here, the planet is evicting us. It's just a shame I'll never be able to pass on my perfect genetics.. I'm so pretty yeah I'm so cooooool.

Old April 28th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
help control the pet population!

Old April 29th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #20
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
brb vasectomy on monday so I don't selfishly knock some poor girl up and die on the kid leaving him a bastard child destined to grow up as an effeminate 'new age male' who shares his secrets with this hair dresser when he goes in for highlights and to get his bangs trimmed and refuses to leave the house when his face is feeling puffy and won't eat gluten and refuses to drink unfiltered water and is deathly afraid of high fructose corn syrup and doesn't like red meat and doesn't like modified vehicles because the exhaust messes with his sinuses and spends his life on facebook creating and maintaining a false self-image and becomes everything I hate about the next generation because he didn't have an alpha male father figure like rambo or arnold or john wayne or clint eastwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Went in today for what I thought was the procedure.

Turned out to be a consultation.

Took my vitals etc, told me not to take asprin and 400 other things within 7 days... then I spoke with the doctor who told me he's done 500 of these so far and hasn't had a single mistake with any of them, and my daily supplements won't be a problem, I should be able to drive myself home etc..

Told me he wishes he'd've done one because it would've really simplified his life.

Told me cigarette smoking wasn't much of a medical issue usually, unless someone has a psychological issue and is literally trying to kill themselves with the smokes.

Confirmed the rumor that my previous doctor did indeed drop dead with no warning at 54 yrs of age. No kids, perfect health, rode his bike to work every day, swam in the pool on lunch break every day, ate clean, perfect vitals.. And found floating dead in the pool on lunch break one day with no explanation. Went on to say in a somewhat medically-unprofessional manner -- 'smoke em if you've got em' -- his mother smoked for 60 years with no problems, and then this doctor who is an absolute picture of health drops dead for no reason..

Anyways dear diary, I should get some friends to talk to, my cat only wants to hear so much. /rambling.

Yeh vasectomy. The planet can't handle any more people. It's the dumb ones who have all the 15 welfare babies.. The smart ones are smart enough not to reproduce on a large scale. It's all going to isht, we are on a crash course straight for a cliff at high speed. Humanity has overstayed it's time here, the planet is evicting us. It's just a shame I'll never be able to pass on my perfect genetics.. I'm so pretty yeah I'm so cooooool.

o.O'

I just... I can't... what?

Old April 29th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #21
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

oh boy...

And yea, don't get that bike
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #22
corksil

^^ 0.o

Wut. Thanks for quoting it, now I'm famous.

This thread is now about any questions regarding a procedure known as the 'vasectomy.'

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #23
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

BTW Corksil, I wanted to join your sore nutsack crew the other day. Saw a sign on the road that said "Bump 500 ft" still didn't see it until I had to open the gas tank to retrieve my baby makers.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:29 PM   #24
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
BTW Corksil, I wanted to join your sore nutsack crew the other day. Saw a sign on the road that said "Bump 500 ft" still didn't see it until I had to open the gas tank to retrieve my baby makers.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:16 PM   #25
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

T.M.I...

Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:19 PM   #26
corksil

It's my thread I can talk about my balls if I want to...

Old May 4th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #27
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

If you EVER look at a bike that is hammered to heck or beat on, only buy it if it is a fraction of Blue book.

Learn how to haggle and learn that you have nothing to lose. At best you can waste the sellers time for being such a fool as to show an obviously abused bike for a stupid price.

Its just like if I hooked you up with my waste area drug addicted ex GF. You wouldn't take her out to a five star joint. You would swing by with some taco bell and a six pack of PBR.

Just saying

If you have a need for speed, get a full size rocket
If you don't want to be breaking all kinds of traffic laws…. get off the road
KX500 CR500 or an off road quad or something.

either that or get some track days and a good therapist
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote