Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:59 AM   #1
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

'09 Shift Torque Street Jean

Wazup fellow Ninjettes?

I just received my riding jeans and would like to share with you my review of them. Here are some pics followed by my review:

Packaging & Tags

Waist & Tags

Kevlar Butt Panels (inside)

Kevlar Knee Panels (inside)

SHIFT TORQUE STREET JEANS

My Measurements: 32" waist 30" inseam
Shift Jean Size: M/32"

PRO: Comfort, Reinforced Panels, (3) Button Rivet Closures

CON: Construction, Price (kinda), Overall Fit

Ok, so let me start off by saying I got these on closeout from RevZilla for $69, but they currently don't have anymore. However, they are similar to a few of the '10 & '11 models that are still available at RevZilla and other stores. This pair retails regularly for $99, which is way too much. Honestly, I think I might have paid too much at $69.

The reason I say I think I might have paid too much is because besides the kevlar panels there isn't anything different between these jeans and my Faded Glory jeans that I compared them to and I paid less than $20 for them at Wal-Mart. Both jeans are of the same thickness/weight of material, which is 100% cotton. I know this because I felt them and compared their thickness, along with checking the tags. The only difference is that the Shift jeans has the kevlar panels, which only 8.6% of the panels are actually kevlar, as the rest is nylon and cordura. The Shift jeans use the same tensile strength of thread as my Faded Glory jean, as I pulled a hanging thread from both jeans and pulled both threads until they broke. Neither one took more energy than the other and they are of the same thickness and material. The Shift jean is double stitched throughout the jean. However, so is the Faded Glory jean, but the seam on the outside of the left and right leg on the Faded Glory jean is triple stitched.

The Shift jean is very comfortable and the 32" waist fits perfectly according to size. The pant is generously loose fitting and has leg openings big enough to wear over boots. The length of the jean is at least a 32" if not 34", which gives plenty of length to not ride up while riding. However, with the waist fitting properly as it does the top of the reinforced knee panel is below the knee standing and the top of it barely rises to the midpoint of my knee while in the riding position. So, needless to say I am not too sure how well they will protect my knee from road rash, but they seem to have my shin covered pretty good.

The Shift jean does come with riveted buttons for enclosures on the waist and one mini-pocket in the front and one on the rear pocket. I like this because I can now leave my wallet in my back pocket and not have to worry about it sliding out. I also much rather prefer a riveted waist enclosure over anything else, and with the small pocket I can button my key or change away in there and not have to worry about anything falling out.

BOTTOM LINE

I wanted something that I could easily wear around both while I am riding and then when I am not riding, as I am currently in my last semester of college. I also wanted something that I could easily wash, was comfortable, not too expensive, and that offered more protection than what I normally wear.

Overall, I was able to get most of what I was looking for out of this jean. However, the protection and durability of this jean is questionable at best considering that the panels don't really fit where I think they should and the overall construction of the jean isn't any better than what I normally wear. I will definitely get my moneys worth out of this jean, but I think I will just look into finding some kevlar or cordura material and then see about having it sewn into the Faded Glory jeans, as I should be able to get this fabricated for less than what I paid for the Shift jean. I am just glad I didn't pay $99 or more for a pair of these so called Kevlar riding jeans, as it just isn't worth it.

I hope this review was helpful.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Thanks for the review AMMOCAN. I agree with you practically 100%. Great pair of jeans, comfortable and I basically wear them regardless of whether or not I ride since it's still cold out.

I also have some knox cross knee armor that I wear because I dont trust the kevlar for abrasion really nor does it have any impact protection. I think I will also add some armored shorts soon so that I can buy cheaper but still fairly thick jeans instead.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

You are so very welcome setasai. I may be thinking about getting some riding shorts to go underneath the pants myself. If you get some before I do, could you please do a review on them for me?

Thanx,

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM   #4
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I wear the Shift Lowdown jeans and have essentially the same review. Extremely comfortable, in fact my favorite pair of jeans to wear off the bike, were only $50, and breathe really well in the tropical heat. Really a good value.

They aren't too substantial, though, and you need to wear knee/shin armour underneath. I've gone lowside at lowspeed in them (with armor underneath) and not a scratch on them. Slid on the pavement, but only for a few feet, and they held up like champs.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM   #5
setasai

$50 where? Was it on closeout/clearance? Everywhere I look it's ~$100. At that price I'd snag up a couple extra.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
$50 where? Was it on closeout/clearance? Everywhere I look it's ~$100. At that price I'd snag up a couple extra.
Was $49 at Newenough.com but it looks like they sold out. Currently $49 at 58Cycle, Extreme Supply, Motosport and few other places on closeout.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I got my Shift jeans at RevZilla for $35. $50 minus $15 credit I had available. I will say that I would have paid as much as $70 or $80 for the jeans, which is right at retail. I feel I got what I paid for, and would feel the same even at the higher price. I don't believe for a second that $20 jeans of any brand without Kevlar would protect as well.

As far as the jeans not fitting you in the way you need them to AMMOCAN, that is unfortunate. My jeans fit extremely well and the protection is where it needs to be while I am in the riding position. Yes, I do need to wear knee/shin armor and I should wear hip armor (which I'll be investing in at some point), but it isn't really any different than wearing any other pants with protection. The jeans just happen to be much cooler both in temperature and looks.

If I'm riding really hard through back-roads then I'm wearing my track pants. For riding to work on casual Friday and cruising down a road at 70 to dinner on Saturday night, I wear the riding jeans and have MUCH more faith in them than standard blue jeans.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:37 PM   #8
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

@ gfloyd2002:

Thanx for your post. At $50 that is a good value. I am glad you wear leg protection underneath, as I now wear some myself and would highly recommend it.

@ Xoulrath:

Thanx for your post. For $35, it is hard to say that didn't get your money's worth, as most regular jeans average around that price point. I am glad to hear that your jeans fit properly. It's good to hear you are also wearing leg protection underneath.

However, what people are not understanding and what I tried pointing out in my review is that the jeans alone are no different than at least the other jeans I have. The only thing that differs from these Shift 'riding' jeans and regular jeans (that I at least wear) is the sewn in panels, which only 8.6% of those panels is ACTUALLY kevlar. Don't believe me, then please read the material tag inside of the Shift jeans. Kevlar isn't really the thing that is going to help with defending against abrasion in these jeans, as it is most likely the Cordura/Nylon since these make up more than 80% of the material being used.

Now granted, having these panels of reinforcement is going to help out in the chance of an accident, where abrasion may occur, better than not having them at all. However, I can guarantee that the jean it's self (100% cotton) is going to shred/tear just like any other regular jean.

By all means anyone can of course pay however much they want on something like this as that is their prerogative. However, I feel I have an obligation to give an honest and un-biased review of this jean incase there are others interested in this sort of jean. What they decide to do after reading my review is entirely up to them.

Recently, I have started looking into seeing how much full kevlar or cordura fabric would cost in case I wanted to just out fit my other jeans with it, as I think it would be more cost effective that way, unless you are like gfloyd2002 or Xoulrath, who got their pair at a very reasonable price. So, Kevlar fabric seems to run around $30 for a piece that is 50" x Yard and for the same size Cordura runs for about $15. With that amount of fabric you could do several pairs of jeans. I now need to look into seeing how much it would cost for that material to be sewn into a pair of jeans. The actual true Kevlar fabric has to be cut with something stronger than a regular pair of scissors, so that is something else I have to look into as well.

I of course don't have the time right now to do it myself, but I just want to let everyone know that it is possible and feasible to protect your own pair of pants instead of paying an enormous amount for them at retail, when you are not getting anything better. I mean isn't that why most of us go crazy over 'DIY' threads instead of paying someone else to do it?

Thanx,

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:30 PM   #9
setasai

I appreciate your unbiased review of the jeans and to be honest, I feel the same way about them. They are a perfect balance for the commuter and like you, I use them to commute to campus everyday and find them great for that purpose.

If you find a sufficiently cheap method of adding kevlar or aramid panels to regular jeans, definitely report back as I am also considering that route. Just for reference, Dickie's work jeans (~$25) are 13.5ounce denim, same as these shift jeans. Add in some kevlar and hard armor and you're looking at a decently protective piece of gear.

One thing when you look into sewing the panels in, the threads also need to be durable as well or else it'll be pointless to have panels that rip out of the seams even if the fabric is abrasion resistant.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:37 AM   #10
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Thanx setasai. I will be sure to let you know what I come up with. I have been looking over these Shift jeans very carefully and there is nothing different from this pant than a regular pant except for the protective panels.

Looking carefully at the panels I have determined that the 8.6% of kevlar that is being used in these panels is the thread it's self, which is keeping the panel in place on the jean. The material that is behind the yellow material is cordura, which lays against the inside of the cotton jean, and the yellow material is actually the nylon material, which you are seeing in the pics.

I will now search for a place that can actually sew things with a kevlar thread and figure out how much that would cost, as a sheet of 4' x 3' cordura costs $15, which is plenty of material to do a few pair of pants.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #11
setasai

Sounds about right. Where in Nor-Cal are you? If we're close enough, maybe we can get the same location to do a few extra pairs.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM   #12
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

I currently live in San Joaquin County. I might be in your area more than usual starting in the Fall if I get accepted into the Masters program at San Jose State University.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:30 PM   #13
setasai

OT: What masters program are you looking to get into? I teach Immunology Lab at SJSU.

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #14
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
OT: What masters program are you looking to get into? I teach Immunology Lab at SJSU.
I have applied to the MA in Animation graduate program, as I plan to conduct research and master the skills needed for creating and applying visual effects along with gaining some more experience in teaching. I have been staying in contact with Prof. Chai, but I was told they wouldn't have a decision made until sometime early April.

Please feel free to send me a PM, so that this thread stays on topic.

Thanx,