ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 24th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I have one year left...

...before my plant shuts down permanently.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...6#.Tx8OjoFeuVo

Quote:
Texas Instruments will close two of its older computer-chip factories, one in Houston and one in Hiji, Japan, and lay off about 1,000 workers to cut costs.

The company announced the cutbacks Monday in its fourth-quarter earnings report. Its results topped analyst estimates, but the company offered tepid forecast for the first quarter of this year.

The planned layoffs represent about 3 percent of the 34,800 workers that Texas Instruments Inc. employed as of Sept. 30. Texas Instruments picked up about 5,000 additional workers four months ago when it completed its $6.5 billion acquisition of another chip maker, National Semiconductor.
I have one year, then we are closed. Let the job hunt begin!!!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Damn. That always sucks. I'm sorry about that man.

What do you do now if you don't mind me asking?

on another hand, will Texas Instruments just be Instruments now? or do they have other plans in Texas?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Didn't they merge with National Semiconductor back in September?
[Just clicked the link...yep...]
I was wondering how that would effect things. I think I use ON Semiconductors most of the time (Just because they're cheaper), but a lot of the opamps I have TI, and I think I've got a bunch of National's linear rectifiers in my desk draws.

Old January 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Before you leave, can you PLEASE build me some clones of a MAX038?

Old January 24th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Good luck on your job hunt.

My sis who works for a large company selling servers had her place of business close down in Indy and she had to relocate to Atlanta. Really an upgrade both in job and living. So, I hope things can work out for you too.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Well TI is based out of Dallas, so they will still retain the "T" in TI.

Basically our fab down here in Houston has been running production since '67. It is over 40-years old. That is ancient for a semiconductor fabrication plant. It is not capable to upgrade to the next step which is 8" wafers (currently only 6" wafer fab). While TI has a new 12" fab up in Dallas, so yeah, we are behind on the curve. Corporate just did not see the cost effectiveness to build another plant out here when one of our plants can simply absorb our orders.

Having a business degree and knowing how the business world sees things, I knew this day was coming over a year ago. I knew that it was dangerously close. People would say, "I hope we have another 5-10 years here". I'd shake my head and state we are lucky if we have 2, most likely just 1 left. I saw everything coming a mile away, so I was no surprised like several others were. Actually many in my group were not surprised. I know myself and a friend were on top of the whole thing and saw all the signs. We just laughed once we heard.

My current job is to repair and maintain semiconductor equipment in the fab. This involves, electronics, robotics, cryogenics, water cooling systems, automation systems, heating systems, RF systems, electrical systems, filtration systems, and more. Plus we ship and receive parts constantly, so we are also shipping clerks. hahahahaha

Hopefully I'll find a job where I can utilize my BBA/BBM degree I got a couple of years ago.

Old January 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Well TI is based out of Dallas, so they will still retain the "T" in TI.

Basically our fab down here in Houston has been running production since '67. It is over 40-years old. That is ancient for a semiconductor fabrication plant. It is not capable to upgrade to the next step which is 8" wafers (currently only 6" wafer fab). While TI has a new 12" fab up in Dallas, so yeah, we are behind on the curve. Corporate just did not see the cost effectiveness to build another plant out here when one of our plants can simply absorb our orders.

Having a business degree and knowing how the business world sees things, I knew this day was coming over a year ago. I knew that it was dangerously close. People would say, "I hope we have another 5-10 years here". I'd shake my head and state we are lucky if we have 2, most likely just 1 left. I saw everything coming a mile away, so I was no surprised like several others were. Actually many in my group were not surprised. I know myself and a friend were on top of the whole thing and saw all the signs. We just laughed once we heard.

My current job is to repair and maintain semiconductor equipment in the fab. This involves, electronics, robotics, cryogenics, water cooling systems, automation systems, heating systems, RF systems, electrical systems, filtration systems, and more. Plus we ship and receive parts constantly, so we are also shipping clerks. hahahahaha

Hopefully I'll find a job where I can utilize my BBA/BBM degree I got a couple of years ago.

You are a smart guy and will be fine. I guess being in TX does not hurt. The job market I hear is much better there.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

move to LA...my fiance works for a company that does what TI does. they are always hiring

Old January 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

My wife is on a fast track through an energy company. She refuses to relo. I'll be staying here.

Not that I wouldn't mind your company Paulette!

Old January 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #10
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Plan for Apex:

12 months out - Post on Ninjette.org, mention that wife has great career.
9 months out - Start doing all manner of things with wife, do not use protection.
D-day - Lose job, wife gives birth.
D-day forward - Be house husband. Change diapers. Play video games. Profit from wife's good job.

You're welcome.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Plan for Apex:

9 months out - Start doing all manner of things with wife, do not use protection.
D-day - Lose job, wife gives birth.
D-day forward - Be house husband. Change diapers. Play video games. Profit from wife's good job.

You're welcome.
I think that it takes two jobs to buy diapers anymore. so go back in time, get a good washing machine and cloth for diapers. Either way, good luck on the job search
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Good luck with the job hunt!

Old January 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Who will make my Inspires!??!?! Sorry man. Finding a job sucks...good luck with the hunt!

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Plan for Apex:

9 months out - decide that wife makes enough to be considered a sugar mama and that you really don't need to be working, DO you??
D-day - stop working completely
D-day forward - Be house husband. Buy another motorcycle. Play video games and ride bicycles, motorcycles, and generally live the good life. Profit from wife's good job.

You're welcome.
fixed that for you Floyd
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #15
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
...before my plant shuts down permanently.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...6#.Tx8OjoFeuVo

I have one year, then we are closed. Let the job hunt begin!!!
Now thats how to flip the coin over, "I have a year to find a better job." Maybe Nat'l Semi has subsidiaries, but I'm sure there are other makers in the market. Chips seem to be changing dramatically as two listed cos. who shares I optioned took off on just one chip patent. (Won't mention all the options I had that expired).
There's a "next big thing" feeling and I hope you can foresee enough to plant yourself and skill-set into it brother.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote