Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #41
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC View Post
I'm not hating, I'm just sick of the assumptions made towards the younger generation. I'm 27, married with a 2y/o (was married long before she got pregnant), and am now a full time college student and full time father. My wife is active duty and her job requires a 24/7 availability which keeps me from working, so I'm working on my Bachelors.
I was hoping that you wouldn't take offense to the post. I agree that not everyone has luck with the job market. I also think there are people in jobs that don't deserve them. Lets also remember people are now working till an older age sometimes to just make ends meet. It just really upsets me when I hear of people sitting at home living off the system because they have no reason to take care of themselves while they are getting hand outs. College is an almost requirement anymore to even make yourself a prospect to a company.

I also have heard its a lot harder to find a job in the place you are from which may also play a role in why you are finding such a hard time. I live in WV which hasn't really been hit hard by economic times because we were well below the nation average for house hold incomes. I mean a 1000sq foot home here runs you anywhere from $70k - $120k unless you get something with a lot of property or really really nice home. I think average household income is like $40k in the city I live.

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #42
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
A long time ago, I was walking into a McDonald's and there was a homeless guy standing outside asking for money. I told him no. I went in and bought food with extra to give to the guy. I walked out and offered him free untouched food and he looked like I just spit on him.
exactly what I would have done.

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #43
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

[QUOTE=wvninja;250587I think average household income is like $40k in the city I live.[/QUOTE]

dude, i'd be considered a baller in WV. lol i should move out there.

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #44
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Quote:
How do you know they're homeless because they're panhandling?
I don't, which is why I also added jobless, but they could have shelter and a job for all we know. I don't disagree with the points made about these people getting jobs. Frankly, the only reason I joined in this discussion was because of the age generalization.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #45
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
dude, i'd be considered a baller in WV. lol i should move out there.
I make quiet a bit more than that and yes.. I'm "baller" rofl. This is where I raised an issue in an older thread where women here that wouldn't pay attention to me way back now call me up all the time wanting to "hang out" or go out. Mo money mo problems LOL.

Old January 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #46
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Two unrelenting truths here:

1. There are bums of all ages.
2. Since our species started walking upright, each successive generation believes one that directly follows is the lazy one.

yup

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #47
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk58 View Post
Perhaps this thread should have been made as a rant against homeless people and their inability or refusal to work, rather than bringing the age group into it. I agree that some homeless (jobless?) people prey on the generosity of the diminishing crowd of kind people, which is why most of us have become desensitized to it. In my opinion, homeless people are higher up in the world than the families who take advantage of welfare programs because they are truly just too lazy to work.
I work with homeless people every day--and you could not be further off base. At least 40% of the homeless I see are Veterans who have honorably served this country. The majority are combat vets who are haunted by nightmares because of things they had to experience. They end up "medicating" this problem with alcohol. They do not go to the VA because the VA represents a government that lied to them and therefore cannot be trusted. These people have PTSD. The VA is still a bureaucratic mess that is run by a bunch of "bean counters" who don't have a clue as to what these people have experienced and are going through. To label these people as "lazy and freeloaders" is a grave injustice. Trust me, very few homeless avail themselves of welfare--so you can be assured that your precious tax dollar is not being "wasted".

In case you mistake me for some do gooder crusader rabbit--be informed that I am a two tour Vietnam Combat Vet, who after 30years was finally given a 100% Service Connected disability for PTSD and cancer secondary to Agent Orange Exposure. I served with the 173Rd Airborne Brigade and with the 75Th Ranger Regiment as a combat medic. I could have easily been one of the people described above were it not for a supportive family who did not give up on me.

It may help for you to get your facts straight and maybe have some compassion, before you write the homeless off as some sort of parasites. Trust me, I prefer their company to most people. I have two Masters Degrees and had a very sucessful practice as a Clinical Social Worker. I am also financially secure and retired since 1991. Since May 2010, I have put a financially struggling soup kitchen back on its feet--and guess what. By Dec 2011, I will have raised a million dollars and we will have a homeless shelter that will serve as a model in this country. It will happen, even though many people feel like you do. On the other hand many people with deep pockets feel like I do. Guess who wins?

So, for now, in the time I have left on this planet (you never know with cancer), The plan is to complete this project and enjoy the rest of my life motorcycling and bicycling. I also plan to spend a lot of time with my homeless friends--for some reason we get along fine--surprise.

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #48
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
A long time ago, I was walking into a McDonald's and there was a homeless guy standing outside asking for money. I told him no. I went in and bought food with extra to give to the guy. I walked out and offered him free untouched food and he looked like I just spit on him...
This is just a theory, but what if, in that guy's mind, the money you could have given him was less about food and more about him feeling like he had a measure of control over his life. If I were in such a situation where I had to ask for a handout and someone not only declined my request, but also then brought me food that was his excess (essentially his table scraps), I would feel even lower than I had for begging in the first place. People in need still have pride. If you intended on feeding this guy anyway, why not invite him inside with you?

Just so it is clear, I am just offering a hypothetical possibility. I believe everyone's opinions are theirs to have; and my opinion is that you don't care to understand the reasons or causes or specifics of the people you see on the street. You are just throwing out the excuse, " it's society/television/parent/friends' fault." I, sincerely, want to know why you feel that way. Would you enlighten me with some pure, factual, rational evidence? Please... Oh I forgot; you don't like beggers.

Old January 27th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #49
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Two unrelenting truths here:

1. There are bums of all ages.
2. Since our species started walking upright, each successive generation believes one that directly follows is the lazy one.
Damn kids, listening to all the raps and shooting all the jobs
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #50
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I work with homeless people every day--and you could not be further off base. At least 40% of the homeless I see are Veterans who have honorably served this country. The majority are combat vets who are haunted by nightmares because of things they had to experience. They end up "medicating" this problem with alcohol. They do not go to the VA because the VA represents a government that lied to them and therefore cannot be trusted. These people have PTSD. The VA is still a bureaucratic mess that is run by a bunch of "bean counters" who don't have a clue as to what these people have experienced and are going through. To label these people as "lazy and freeloaders" is a grave injustice. Trust me, very few homeless avail themselves of welfare--so you can be assured that your precious tax dollar is not being "wasted".

In case you mistake me for some do gooder crusader rabbit--be informed that I am a two tour Vietnam Combat Vet, who after 30years was finally given a 100% Service Connected disability for PTSD and cancer secondary to Agent Orange Exposure. I served with the 173Rd Airborne Brigade and with the 75Th Ranger Regiment as a combat medic. I could have easily been one of the people described above were it not for a supportive family who did not give up on me.

It may help for you to get your facts straight and maybe have some compassion, before you write the homeless off as some sort of parasites. Trust me, I prefer their company to most people. I have two Masters Degrees and had a very sucessful practice as a Clinical Social Worker. I am also financially secure and retired since 1991. Since May 2010, I have put a financially struggling soup kitchen back on its feet--and guess what. By Dec 2011, I will have raised a million dollars and we will have a homeless shelter that will serve as a model in this country. It will happen, even though many people feel like you do. On the other hand many people with deep pockets feel like I do. Guess who wins?

So, for now, in the time I have left on this planet (you never know with cancer), The plan is to complete this project and enjoy the rest of my life motorcycling and bicycling. I also plan to spend a lot of time with my homeless friends--for some reason we get along fine--surprise.
Thank you. Don't know what else to say. What you've written here helped restore some of the respect for my fellow humans that the OP took away. You make the world a better place.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #51
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

.."For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you wish you can do good to them; but you will not always have Me."

"..If there is among you a poor man, one of your kinsmen in any of the towns of your land which the Lord your God gives you, you shall not harden your [minds and] hearts or close your hands to your poor brother;

But you shall open your hands wide to him and shall surely lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks."

Sailariel, you are a class act. The world needs more people like you. God Bless you and all that you do.

And that same sentiment goes to all who do the same.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #52
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
This is just a theory, but what if, in that guy's mind, the money you could have given him was less about food and more about him feeling like he had a measure of control over his life. If I were in such a situation where I had to ask for a handout and someone not only declined my request, but also then brought me food that was his excess (essentially his table scraps), I would feel even lower than I had for begging in the first place. People in need still have pride. If you intended on feeding this guy anyway, why not invite him inside with you?

Just so it is clear, I am just offering a hypothetical possibility. I believe everyone's opinions are theirs to have; and my opinion is that you don't care to understand the reasons or causes or specifics of the people you see on the street. You are just throwing out the excuse, " it's society/television/parent/friends' fault." I, sincerely, want to know why you feel that way. Would you enlighten me with some pure, factual, rational evidence? Please... Oh I forgot; you don't like beggers.
I don't like eating with strangers. It's why I haven't attended any bike events. I was worse back then and was very anti-social. As far as pride goes, it doesn't get much lower than begging for the pennies out of my pocket. If it was about having control, then that's his problem. He somehow ended up being homeless. Just about every decent sized city has rehab programs to help homeless people get back on their feet, find work, etc. If he chooses not to partake of that, then I don't see how his need for control in his own life makes it my concern.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #53
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
If he chooses not to partake of that, then I don't see how his need for control in his own life makes it my concern.
Dood that's right out of Charles Dickens! Be prepared to be visited by 3 spirits!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #54
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Dood that's right out of Charles Dickens! Be prepared to be visited by 3 spirits!
Baaaaahumbug! haha.

Old January 27th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #55
Sailariel

Tapdiggy and Blue: Thank you for being there.

Truong, Your insight concerning Dignity is spot on--In fact it is central to understanding poverty.The other component is Shame. Putting the two together gives you a window through which you can see, and ultimately understand the problem. We have been communicating for over two years and I have to, at some point , meet you face to face. We can make it happen, since geographically we are only 50mi apart. In a spiritual sense, we are brothers. We have essentially a very similar background and world view. Both of our families left our country of origin--which has fallen into totalitarian hands in order to enjoy the freedoms and opportunities this great country has to offer. I am easily twice your age, and with age comes a certain amount of wisdom. Your understanding concerning social issues and social conscience is uncanny. You have wisdom. I hope that there are a lot of young people like you out there.

Recently, I was priviledged to be invited to our High School to talk about Hunger. The school had initiated a food drive to feed the hungry. They blessed us with ten grocery carts overflowing with canned goods. I was able to talk to some of those young adults, and I went away feeling optimistic and positive. I have no doubt about our future. Those people are truly amazing.

What also took me totally by surprise was the outpouring of generosity by the people of Belfast. Belfast is not exactly upscale like some other towns in Maine. Since June 2010 we raised more than $70,000.00. The majority of this money came from local folks in the form of $10 and $20 donations.

The people of Belfast gave our flegling corporation very clear marchin orders: "Nobody in Belfast should be hungry" The Soup Kitchen, which was slated to go belly up, is going to be around for a very long time. As of 3 January, we have created two jobs--and managed to get one person off welfare.

To those who feel that they are powerless, my message is: An individual can make a difference. Try it.

Old January 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #56
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Wow, huge leap in assumptions here in the OP.

Young panhandler who is fat and can physically stand on own power > Just lazy, must be well fed. Must feel he's too good for certain jobs. Not willing to enter into rehab programs. > This is proof that this current generation is the laziest yet.

As someone who has done work with the United Way, I say thank-you to those in this thread who have kept an open mind and are not so quick to judge a book by it's cover. Poverty is a real problem, young or old and only by getting over the assumption that homelessness = laziness will we be able to make progress on this social issue.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #57
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I'm not a big fan of United Way after they shut down our after school ESL program for foreign kids.

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #58
Blackwidow

about 3 years ago, two of my coworkers that were married went out to lunch on there lunch break. they went to Jack in the box which is right around the corner here where i work. They got their lunch and parked their car on one of the streets to eat. they both were sitting in the front seat when a "homeless" guy approach their car and asked for some change. They said sorry, don't have any change and the guy pulled out a gun and shot into the car. 2 shots were fired one hitting the man in the face the other hitting the woman in the chest. the wife died, but the guy got lucky and lived with a nasty scar on his face to remind him every single day of his life the biggest tragedy that could ever happen to a person.

Yes, there are the less fortunate that truely try to make a living but are unable to because of the ecomony, then there are those that are disabled and are never given the opportunity. However, we always have the bad apples that make it soooo hard for the rest of us to really trust a person when they truely are desperate for a handout. When a homeless man walks up to me, I don't know what the hell he is capable of. do I reach in my pocket and give him a few bucks and hope that he's not going out to buy drugs or alcohol, or do I shun him away and hope he doesn't kill me just to steal my purse?

society learns from experiance, and thats what we're discussing here. In general, most of those people are homeless because they don't want to be part of a so called "system". There are few and far in between that ask for handouts because they really need it.

I can go on and on about examples that i've encoutered with the homeless or those pan handling, i use to pass out 5 dollar bills to those people. After seeing with my very own eyes how dishonest those people are, i gave up on them. Am I a bad person, maybe...but my actions are a result of my personal experiance.

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #59
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of United Way after they shut down our after school ESL program for foreign kids.
So what was your approach to this problem? Did you try to become a part of the solution or are you content with sitting here and posting on the internet pointing blame at certain charities and homeless people?

The United Way is like any other charity in that it relies on local and corporate donations. The sad reality is that funds are finite and not all programs that apply for funding will be approved. It doesn't help the cause that the recession and current economy has contributed to a donation shortfall in many chapters. Charities are only part of the solution, they cannot be looked at as saviors. If people are hoping for change then they should be inclined to act and drive it. A lot of times this involves much more than a monetary donation. It's really up to the local communities to provide long-term solutions. Unfortunately when people take a homelessness always = laziness attitude, finding local support becomes challenging. If you and/or your community really care about that ESL program then there should be something done about it. Sitting here and ranting on the internet about homeless people is just a futile exercise and solves nothing.

Old January 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #60
Sailariel

Paulette, Wow! What a traumatic experience. Indeed, thankfully, a relatively rare ocurrance. In my response to Tapdiggy, I mentioned the concept of Shame--which is tied to Dignity. The loss of dignity over time creates shame. Initially, the person who feels shame, withdraws. The person can do that by being an isolate who does not communicate with others, or the individual withdraws with the use of chemicals and alcohol. That phase lasts for a while during which time the person is relatively harmless. If no relief from the shame materializes, the shame converts into anger. Violence is not too far away.

The best suggestion that I have for you is that if a panhandler approaches you, try to act upbeat and relaxed. You might say to him, "Let's see what I can do" Have a dollar stashed outside your wallet--reach into your purse and grab the dollar. You hand it to him and in a neutral fashion say something like, "Hope this helps" or "That's about all I can spare today" and walk away. The probability of you being harmed would be very slim 99% of the time. That is where the Dignity component comes in. Negative, judgemental vibes accentuate the Shame component. An upbeat to neutral vibe accompanied by even a token of help (The Dollar), boosts the Dignity component. You want to de-emphasize shame, which in turn helps the peson keep his or her dignity. Sounds like a lot of Sociological mumbo jumbo--but it works.

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #61
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

CThunder-blue - What are you implying.... are you saying the government isn't here to meet our every need, wish, or desire? What a concept.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #62
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post

I don't like eating with strangers. It's why I haven't attended any bike events. I was worse back then and was very anti-social. As far as pride goes, it doesn't get much lower than begging for the pennies out of my pocket. If it was about having control, then that's his problem. He somehow ended up being homeless. Just about every decent sized city has rehab programs to help homeless people get back on their feet, find work, etc. If he chooses not to partake of that, then I don't see how his need for control in his own life makes it my concern.
I am still curious about what evidence you can bring to light to support your opinion. I genuinely want to know why you have this view. Saying you are anti-social doesn't make it societally conscionable to shun or deride or pass judgement on someone based on what you think is true. If it were acceptable, the world would be a far quieter and much more lonely place.
I also wonder how broad this view extends. Does it only cover people without life's necessities? Or is "middle-class" a pejorative term as well? Do you make a better-than-average living? Do you have disposable income? Perhaps you had a traumatic incident involving a homeless individual; could that be the reason for your dislike?
There's no reason for you to answer those questions; but I ask them because I wish to understand how someone, with whom I disagree, justifies their world-view. You seem the type who doesn't care to know the facts, content that your perspective is already undeniable fact. Am I far off? I have no quarrel with you; just your dubious talent for divining the nature of a man at a glance.

Old January 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #63
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I said was anti-social to answer your question about why I didn't invite him to eat with me. I was born in Vietnam and came over as a refugee. My dad worked 2 jobs, sometimes 3 to support our family. He did janitorial duties. I began doing paper routes when I was 9 and began working in the family masonry business at 11. If a man who has no understanding of english can support a family of 4 kids by working multiple jobs, I don't really see a reason why people who understand and speak english can't do the same. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal. I have no desire to support anyone lazy enough to be a parasite. I understand there are always circumstances, such as the PTSD vets who didn't get the care they should have. There are also people who prefer being homeless to actually being a productive member of society.

You may think I have a narrow point of view when it comes to "divining the nature of man." You also don't know me very well. I've been a good judge of character for a long time. I've been wrong, but I've been right more.

In the end, you can sit on your chair and think what you want of me. It really doesn't matter because I know what I know. Everyone has their own point of view on various sociological subjects. As to answer you with pure, factual evidence. That's not really possible is it? You would have to do a survey of every person begging in the streets to find that answer. I make and give opinions. I don't pretend that what I say is absolute truth. That's all this thread was from the beginning; just a rant. Some of you have a hard time making that distinction.

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #64
Sailariel

Tri, We all are the product of our experiences. I can very well empathize your eperience.Change "refugee from Vietnam" to "refugee from behind the Iron Curtain" and you pretty much have our family history in the US. None of us spoke English either. We lived in a pretty toxic slum, all worked and pooled our resources. It paid off to the point that we were able to move to a safer neighborhood. Both parents had professional degrees--which did not count in the US. They went to night school to "refresh" their credentials.

Our collective experience gave us strength. We realized that no amount of hardship we would -- and did--experience in the future would be worse than what we have already survived.

I served as a combat medic in Vietnam during some of the most intensive fighting--68 to 70. It was a rather intense experience and the coping skills that I learned early on helped me through. I have lived with nightmares since 1970. It is something one does not get used to nor does it go away. You learn to cope. In 1994 the VA decided that I had PTSD. Of course by then I was already retired three years. It was just another speed bump.

Doing for others seemed like a good fit, which is why I chose Social Work as a profession. I was a Social Worker in the Psychiatric/Gerontology field for 25 years. My retirement lasted from 1991 to 2004 when I got diagnosed with cancer. Rather than give up, I chose to get back into the field and do strictly pro bono work. It is a great distraction and the work does some good. Again, stress serves as a strength. To quote Lance Armstrong, "I don't have time for cancer"

Tri, I wish you well. Hopefully you will be able to turn your struggle into a strength. You will then find that life can be fulfilling and enjoyable. At the very least, you will certainly enjoy your Ninjette a lot more. Be good to yourself.

Old January 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #65
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Thanks Alex. I do enjoy life now. Due to my parents' devotion and hard work, every single one of their 7 children were able to go to college and find well paying jobs. I may rant a lot, but it's really more out of boredom than any real issues I have. In a week, I may rant about something else. lol I do apologize if I touched a nerve with anyone here. I just find that if we go every day with the same old stuff, our minds tend to lose it's sharpness. I play word games to keep myself busy every day while fixing computers to keep me entertained.

I do find life enjoyable and love riding the bike, altho I'm feeling the itch for a gsx-r600. lol. Can't wait to go skiing next weekend!

Old January 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #66
Sailariel

Tri, You made my day! I honestly have to say that a 600 Gixxer would scare the hell out of me.

Old January 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #67
Blackwidow

i love happy ending threads. the world is beautiful

Old January 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #68
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
maybe until my next rant

Old January 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #69
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Wish kids would put as much effort in looking for a job, as they do asking for money...
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #70
twistedimage
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

How does a couple of bums make the whole generation "lazy"? And why would anyone want to see poor people work hard...? I could go to the city to see the same thing.
twistedimage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #71
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I got a universal remote for Christmas, to make switching between cable TV and video games easier. I still haven't programmed it yet, because that would require effort.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #72
Sailariel

Quote:
Paulette, You are sweet.

Old January 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #73
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kids are kids. What looks like a waste usually ends up being wonderful. Look how so many young people have become billionaires at a very young age.

Kids are taught to use their minds over the muscles now-a-days. They use technology and intellect to show their brillance.

Don't give up on the youth. They are so fortunate to grow up in a world where they are spoiled and able to dream.

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #74
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Name: Megan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Not all kids are like those lazy pieces of ****. I am 18 years old and have been working since I was 16 paying for my car and saving up for the bike I just bought. I also pay for some of my college expenses. I have support from my family and I have chose to work for what I have. I do 20 units at a JC each semester and work 30 hours a week because I push myself and I dont want to be in situations like those people.

My opinion is their family support was slim to none and drugs and bad choices overtook their lives (generally the reasons people become homeless) Everyone has rough times throughout their lives and some people need more help than others. Dont be so quick to judge a book by its cover
ladyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #75
Sailariel

+1

Old January 30th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #76
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Ladyrocket you're post reminds me of the time when I was in University and had to work a campus job in order to support myself. I would schedule work hours before class, in between class and after class. In the summers, I would work full-time. I used to get comments from the older managers on how they admired the work ethic of this generation of young people. Never once did they make an ignorant comment by saying that this generation is the laziest yet. When I graduated and was searching for jobs, some hiring managers would tell me that their company prefers young graduates because they are eager to work and willing to put in the extra effort in order to prove themselves and climb the corporate ladder. They understand that there is no free lunch. The belief was that these graduates worked hard during school and would bring this work ethic with them in their professional careers. In many of these companies, some of the most successful employees were younger people.

Laziness is not just found among one generation and is certainly not applicable to the entire generation. In my professional career I've encountered plenty of lazy older people. People who had this belief that their seniority gave them a certain sense of entitlement and that they didn't have to put in the same amount of work as other people. They had cushy positions and knew that it would be very hard for the company to remove them from these positions. Am I going to view this small sample size as a valid representation of an entire generation? Of course not.

This is an interesting article from a couple years back on the Gen Y workforce and the findings are actually based on data and research rather than fact less opinion. You don't have to believe everything you read but the key is to approach it with an open mind.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article679952.ece

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:44 AM   #77
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
In my professional career I've encountered plenty of lazy older people. People who had this belief that their seniority gave them a certain sense of entitlement and that they didn't have to put in the same amount of work as other people. They had cushy positions and knew that it would be very hard for the company to remove them from these positions.
Wow, do we work for the same company? lol

Old January 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM   #78
Sailariel

Quote:
Wow, do we work for the same company? lol
Sure saw that a lot when I worked for the State (Civil Service) I always maintained that civil service was neither. I think the term for the workers who have no fear of getting canned is "Entrenched" It has a nice pejorative/sinister ring.

I still chuckle when I think back on my undergraduate days. I worked in a local foundry at night 5 to 11 shift and went to class days. The students turned their noses up because I had that ozonish foundry smell. Never had trouble finding a seat in the lecture hall. Left pantleg also had oil on it--not untypical when riding an old H-D. I must have looked like a bum in those days.
Wearing jeans to class was frowned on--so I wore chinos with grease on the pantleg--quite a fashion statement.

Old August 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #79
SweetB
ninjette.org member

Name: Brooke

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Ninja 250, 2009 White Vespa S 150

I have two female coworkers, both in their 40s, who together don't accomplish one person's workload. They're lazy, inconsiderate, and not surprisingly, they love spending time together. I guess, "birds of a feather..."

There are a lot of lazy people out there, regardless of age, gender, physical ability, etc.
SweetB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #80
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Link to original page on YouTube.

Discuss

kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote