ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 14th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #1
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Talking Wheel paint

What is the best paint to use on wheels? Are there any good prep tips?

Old December 14th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
You are really a lot better powder coating them.

Even though powder and paint look the same, their chemical compositions are significantly different.

Powder uses heat to create a chemical reaction (cross-linking) within the coating, which locks it together like a woven mat.

Paint lays on the surface in layers. Catalyzed (2-part) paints do have a chemical reaction that helps tie the coating together, but because solvents in the paint need to evaporate (causing the coating to constrict and leaving micro voids), you don't get anywhere near the adhesion or chip resistance as you do with powder.

The best prep for powder coating is first chemical stripping to remove the original finish, then moderate media blasting to get a proper profile, then pressure washing and cleaning with special chemicals, then rinsing with D.I water, then chemical conversion coating using a Zirconium-based Nano coating. After that it's masking, applying the powder, and curing. All of which need to be done very accurately to get optimum results.

If you are painting, the biggest mistake people make is stripping the original OEM coating if it's in good condition. It's best to wet sand it with 400 grit until dull and clean it very well before painting. The original coating has much better adhesion and chip resistance than you can duplicate with even the best 2-part pro paints.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #3
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

I was hoping to hear "Dude, there is some new rockin awesome wheel paint that is as good as powder coat", or something like that.

I had all my drag bike chassis, wheels, etcetera, powder coated for durability and chemical resistance because of the fuels I used sometimes.

The wheels I am using for my "What do you get when" project need to be refinished. On one hand it is lots of elbow grease and relatively small money to get a less than durable finish, or lots of money for powder coat.

I guess, I will price them out on a spreadsheet for comparison. At least I have a really good powder coat shop a mine from my house.

Old December 15th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If you do decide to paint them, I would find a paint labeled "Wheel Paint" instead of using a standard spray enamel.

Depending on the color, I would try to find the same type of clear - especially if you choose a metallic color.

Wheels are hard to sand by hand, so I would use a Scotchbrite pad to dull the finish. Degrease them well with soap and water before you start on them. You can use the Scotchbrite pad with soap also, but be sure to get rid of the grease and oil first. Rinse it all well and let it dry. Wipe it off with denatured alcohol when you are ready to paint. Blow it off with compressed air if you have it.

Don't put on too much paint. It will chip easier if you have it too thick. If you use a clear, just apply the base color until it's covered and no more. Then let it dry until it's not tacky before applying the clear. I would probably do 2 medium wet coats of clear with dry time in between. Wet coats are when you apply enough paint to get it to flow smoothly, but not run or drip.

It's going to need a good amount of time to dry before mounting tires. One way to check if paint is dry is to smell it. If you can still smell solvents it's not fully cured. Fully cured paint has no smell.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote