ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #41
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I don't think so. Once the hugger is on there, everything that would normally get flung forward is going to be stopped at the hugger, so I doubt it's going to be an issue.

Thanks, and yes I did. I rather like how it turned out, but I wish I had used perforated sheeting instead of gutter guard. I like the pattern on that better, and it's not much more expensive from mcmastercarr

EDIT: I'm rather fond of that second picture. Looks good, I'll try and redo it in some direct sunlight next time to get more lime green, and less pea green
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #42
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Well I've decided I'm going to remove the hugger. I may make a tutorial for educational purposes, I may not. I currently need to keep the under tail fairing/original fairing because it is used to hold some switches for my bike's LED lights. I think I may just buy a new gen chain guard for the look or cut up the current one unless someone wants it.

To me this was a good experiment, but a failed one. I hope you have better luck with yours @choneofakind now that you've seen my mistakes and my design. You'll probably be luckier at getting it to fit since you don't have to worry about those plastics.

I'll throw up some pictures of the areas that it hit, it looks like there was a clearance issue with the passenger bracket on mine, separate from the other contact issues.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM   #43
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hmmm, I just got it to work, no contact issues, no nothing like that. I apparently was full of tartar sauce when I did it last time and didn't have the can on right or something...

I took plenty of pictures to show you where I trimmed the undertail. I think we'll be able to get yours installed without clearance issues yet!!! (idk for sure though, I have my tail raised a lot which helps. I'll see about getting all these pictures up in a decent time.)

EDIT TO ADD SOME PICTURES FOR @Monkeytofu:

I started by cutting down the chain guard a little:

Then I made cuts for the tabs on the swingarm. They are on the right and left corners of the front of the hugger:

Then I hacked off the bottom of the front mounting tab. I cut that a bit, and used JB Weld to connect the tab to the hugger. I worked for me, even after riding for 130+ miles with it

Then I made a little bracket for the back. To attach the hugger to the bracket, I needed a screw, a nut for the back, and a washer, because the hole was bigger than the head of the screw that I chose. The bracket attaches nicely to the swingarm using the stock bolt:

I also trimmed my undertail drastically. I think this is the step you need to make to gain some more clearance and stop rubbing the top of it at least. My tail is also raised, which helps I think. This shot shows the general line that I followed. I think I could have taken more off that corner on the left, but meh:

For the right side, I used the stock holder for the brake line and drilled a hole in it. I used a ziptie to connect the hugger to the modded brake line thingy. I think I will make a long bracket in the future that will go from the torque link to the modded brake line thingy so that it doesn't shift forward and make the hugger off-center like it does now. The bracket will only be to stop the modded brake thing from moving; the modded brake holder will actually hold the hugger:

The front mounting hole on the tab lines right up with the stock mounting point:

Here you can see that the hugger sits just in front of the cross-member of the swingarm when installed like this. I hope that this means it will drip down onto the wheel, and not onto the swingarm:

and here's what it looks like installed. Pardon the dirt, the ride I went on was a little wet and threw some dirt everywhere:

damn that was pic-heavy. I think in the winter, I will trim off the portion at the rear end of the faux-swingarm thing so it doesn't stick out quite so bad. I might also get some krylon flat black paint for plastic and get it a fresh coat of black, because it gets scuffed up easily as you can see. There's little scuff marks all over it from when I bumped it into things on the bike like the plate, or the undertail, etc

I'm still debating on getting matching lime green paint from colorrite and masking off the hugger part and painting it. But I'm not really good at paint, so I likely won't go green, because that would have to actually look good, or else it would just look bad, so leaving it black might just be easiest.

NOTE: I made the bracket with tin snips, a drill, and some basic thin sheet metal. I also cleaned up the edges made when trimming the hugger with a blowtorch.

Last futzed with by choneofakind; September 3rd, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #44
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Looks pretty good. Do you think it would clear a 90-series tire?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #45
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
not sure. It really depends on where you get the hugger to sit once it's attached. If you can get it forward to where the inside of the hugger is level with the cross-member of the swingarm, it should clear just fine. Mine is about 1/4" towards the back of the bike from there, so likely yes it would.

Still no word on whether cutting the undertail makes enough room for this on a bike that has not had the tail raised significantly.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:34 PM   #46
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

@choneofakind are you using the stock shock? That's one of my issues as well; just about any bump causes me to go pretty low. I'll have to replace that whenever I see a good deal.

Nice pictures! Yours turned out a lot better than mine. I'll keep playing around with mine once I take it out and see if I can get close to what you did. However, I think it's pretty much required to have to trim the under plastics to get this to work, and that's something I'm going to have to avoid.

If you want to secure the right side and make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing you could use a locknut and a bolt to hold it down. worked fine on mine. You could also JB weld a nut on to the brake line holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Still no word on whether cutting the undertail makes enough room for this on a bike that has not had the tail raised significantly.
I'm pretty sure it will make a significant difference. those two "lips that come around the tire are the two worst points of contact. If you just cut those off you should be able to get rid of almost all contact between the hugger and the bike. However, significant bumps can cause the left passenger bracket to make contact with the hugger as well.

Edit: Somewhat related: I assume both generations have the same distance holes on their chain guards. Do you guys think the newgen guard would be better? I'm not sure if it would look nice on the bike either.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM   #47
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, I have the shock from an 09 bike. That helps a lot.

I was planning on using a bolt and nut for the right side, but all I could find at the moment was a ziptie I'll get around to the fine details next time that I'm home.

A spare undertail plastic fender is like $10 on fleabay. Might be work it to take your anger out on with a hacksaw or dremel

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:43 PM   #48
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
I'm pretty sure it will make a significant difference. those two "lips that come around the tire are the two worst points of contact. If you just cut those off you should be able to get rid of almost all contact between the hugger and the bike. However, significant bumps can cause the left passenger bracket to make contact with the hugger as well.

Edit: Somewhat related: I assume both generations have the same distance holes on their chain guards. Do you guys think the newgen guard would be better? I'm not sure if it would look nice on the bike either.
Hmmm, bend the pegs out

I'm not sure if they are the same distance apart or not between the generations. Someone should go measure them for us

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:46 PM   #49
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
No, I have the shock from an 09 bike. That helps a lot.

I was planning on using a bolt and nut for the right side, but all I could find at the moment was a ziptie I'll get around to the fine details next time that I'm home.

A spare undertail plastic fender is like $10 on fleabay. Might be work it to take your anger out on with a hacksaw or dremel
Yeah, the real issue here is that I have electronics attached to the undertail plastics.

If you look closely you can see two rubberized switches, those are used to activate the LED light system on my bike. It's too convenient of a spot for switches to lose for my hugger, at least in my opinion

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM   #50
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh yeah, look at those beauties.

Get a pair of plastic newgen swingarm caps, drill out the centers, and install come clicky switches in those. They're still convenient, and not obvious. Plus black swingarm caps look better than the faux-chrome ones on the pre-gen

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #51
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Took the hugger off for good. Here's the damage, glad I took it off.

There is considerable tire wear on the inside of it and I would strongly recommenced against doing it, at least the way I did.

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #52
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hmmm, mine doesn't seem to be rubbing on the tire at all, but I'll have to check on it when I'm home for thanksgiving. You put yours further back than I did right? Mine is like 1/4" behind the cross member of the swimgarm, and the wheel spins freely when the bike is on stands. idk. That picture makes me worry now. I'll check once I'm home.

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #53
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Hmmm, mine doesn't seem to be rubbing on the tire at all, but I'll have to check on it when I'm home for thanksgiving. You put yours further back than I did right? Mine is like 1/4" behind the cross member of the swimgarm, and the wheel spins freely when the bike is on stands. idk. That picture makes me worry now. I'll check once I'm home.
No idea how far back mine was exactly, but I think mine may have been closer since I didn't attach the tab with the hole to the backside like you did.

Yeah, it spun freely for me so I don't know what or when exactly this happened. Just take a look after a couple of rides and you should be able to see the wear without taking off.

It never caused me to drive badly, and the plastic obviously wore down when touching it.

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #54
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ok, that helps a little. I will move it forward if needed.

Old July 8th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #55
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Bump on this thread. I finally got my install finished. I now have matching hardware all over and a new bracket on both sides of the swing arm. This allowed me to get rid of the zip-tie and make the hugger much more solidly mounted.

I'll post up pictures soon, after I get a chance to take some. I made a bracket for the right side that attaches to the front pivot for the torque link. The right side no longer interferes with my rear stand. Still no rubbing of the undertail or tire. I still think this is because my rear is raised so high.

Again, I'll get pictures up eventually.

Old June 8th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #56
mayonaise_invasion
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): '01 EX250

Took your guys design and changed it a little. I actually fabed and welded tabs to the swing arm...and its green
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140608_110446_956.jpg (79.7 KB, 26 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #57
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good work on the tabs. But that green. Bleh.

Old June 8th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #58
mayonaise_invasion
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): '01 EX250

Ya idk if im sold on it. Considering a gloss black. Ill leave for a few days and see how i feel

Old June 8th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #59
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It clashes.

Old June 8th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #60
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise_invasion View Post
Ya idk if im sold on it. Considering a gloss black. Ill leave for a few days and see how i feel
Flat, and paint the swingarm to match. You want that part to blend. Leave the hugger portion green (looks great!). A glossy black swingarm looks just as weird as a glossy black hugger support area. If you want any more green than just the hugger portion, limit it to the chain guard portion. Even then, I think the chain guard protrusion should be shortened if you can do it cleanly. Avoid the Skidmarxx "all green" style at all costs!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #61
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Not a hugger but a better looking chain guard, look at one of my blogs,

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=8358

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.