ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #1
djjontran
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ex 250

Where to relocate stuff?

Hi everyone. Been a while since I've been on here but I'm continuing my cafe project and was about to take off the rear fender. I was wondering how everyone relocated the stuff attached to the fender. I did the search but couldn't really find any detailed explanations of how stuff got relocated. If you could link me to a thread that would be cool too.

Oh I'm also taking out the airbox and am actually just planning to trim the rear fender like how @Chicagobob did.
djjontran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjontran View Post
Hi everyone. Been a while since I've been on here but I'm continuing my cafe project and was about to take off the rear fender. I was wondering how everyone relocated the stuff attached to the fender. I did the search but couldn't really find any detailed explanations of how stuff got relocated. If you could link me to a thread that would be cool too.

Oh I'm also taking out the airbox and am actually just planning to trim the rear fender like how @Chicagobob did.
In my post, I showed where I put it - on the airbox. See https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117957 (Post #5)

If you take out your airbox, you'll have more room elsewhere to mount stuff, like on the rear fender, battery box, or maybe on a plate attached to the top of the frame rails. You should try to isolate it from spray from the rear wheel.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #3
djjontran
ninjette.org member

@Chicagobob okay sorry if this is a silly question but I can't think of how to mount a custome plate to the bike frame. Would I just try to use whatever available stock holes there are or is there a way to mount to the frame without welding?

Old July 17th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjontran View Post
@Chicagobob okay sorry if this is a silly question but I can't think of how to mount a custome plate to the bike frame. Would I just try to use whatever available stock holes there are or is there a way to mount to the frame without welding?

There are several options that don't require welding. Since an electrics tray is usually not load-bearing, you could attach it with double-sided tape (foam core servo tape is the strongest). You could also use pop rivets, which require drilling (usually 1/8" holes), but can easily be removed (also by drilling). Finally, you could bolt it on, either with self-tapping screws, bolts into tapped holes (weak, because the tubes are made of soft steel), or bolts through the entire frame tube (May crimp the tube if tightened too much, and adds the bulk of nuts). I've even seen guys use hose clamps, which is how Vetter used to mount its fairings.

On our 250, we used the self-tapping screws to attach sheet metal items to the frame, but on later projects we've had cleaner results with pop rivets for light-duty fastening. We haven't had problems with them failing or vibrating loose.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your build.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
typically i relocate parts to the trash can

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #6
djjontran
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
typically i relocate parts to the trash can
LOL I've definitely relocated a lot of items there.

Thanks Bob! I'll look into all of those.

Old July 21st, 2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Kruse08
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 99 Ninja 250

You can check out my build thread as I am in the process of turning mine into a naked/cage bike. I made some new brackets and what not which helped relocate a good amount of parts and also was able to hide the fuse box under the gas tank. My thread is called "My first bike project!" if you want any ideas. It is not done yet so not all my pictures are uploaded.
Kruse08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:55 AM   #8
djjontran
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruse08 View Post
You can check out my build thread as I am in the process of turning mine into a naked/cage bike. I made some new brackets and what not which helped relocate a good amount of parts and also was able to hide the fuse box under the gas tank. My thread is called "My first bike project!" if you want any ideas. It is not done yet so not all my pictures are uploaded.
Nice! Thanks Kruse I have seen your thread and I definitely liked what you did.

Old July 21st, 2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Kruse08
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 99 Ninja 250

I know it may not be the nicest looking way of doing it as I am new to fabricating and I did not weld anything. Everything I did can be put back to original. I got my ideas from many different people throughout the forum and internet so credit is given to all of them. I am trying to do it cheaply but I did not have certain items so the price has increased over the past few weeks.
Kruse08 is offline   Reply With Quote