ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1
chalk
ninjette.org member

Name: Jess

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Question dumped my bike in wet grass, anyone here know anything about fixing plastics?

Just dumped my bike in my front yard coming back from a ride. I have to ride over a patch of grass and turn right to get the bike into my basement and well; guess the grass was wet from this morning's rain, and I leaned somewhat (although I don't remember leaning at all, after this I realize it doesn't take much on wet grass!) . Here's some pics, the cracking is really small (it ate a bunch of dirt and grass and the plastic gave way) and was wondering what the best way to go about repairing this would be...rather do it myself as money is tight these days.

left front plastic

left fairing

left fairing behind

aaaand my gear shifter for laughs (I'll probably end up buying a new one of these if bending it in a vice doesn't work)

chalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #2
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

the cracks are horrific only to you. leave them be as 3 years of sun and color-rite don't match. i would epoxy it from the inside to keep the length in check is all. if you try color-rite, blue tape literally everything but the crack as the paint usually shows up more than the crack. lucky lad.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #4
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

some plastifix or some epoxy should fill in the fairing cracks

i dont see anything wrong with your shifter
seems like you can still shift
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #5
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

If you drill a small hole at the end of where the crack is it can also help keep the crack from lengthening.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #6
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42690
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #7
chalk
ninjette.org member

Name: Jess

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Thanks everybody for the replies, I think for such a small crack the ABS cement solution will work just fine.
(will post results)
chalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #8
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Heat the shift lever with a torch before attempting to bend it back or it will snap.
Also, zipties make cool bandaids for fairings
Just make lil X patterns like stitches.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Leave 'em be. I rode like that for ages after I cracked my upper and RH Lower in exactly the same places (opposite side), but from a cable lock that I threaded through the forks and tire and around the side before driving off with it still threaded through the next morning (DOH!). It never got worse and no one ever noticed without me pointing it out. Putting ABS cement on the back will help it stay aligned when you remove the fairings for service.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i like the abs cement idea... if you're looking for a more rigorous repair you can plastic-weld abs then sand it down and repaint it... but honestly abs cement on the back with some bondo on the front to fill any crack gap, then sanding and repainting would be more than enough... if it was mine i wouldn't bother fixing those tiny cracks.... hell i probably wouldn't even fix that shifter :-P

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

If you need to straighten the fairing stay, I used an adjustable wrench to grab the mount and bend it back. My technique was to thread the bolt back through the mount and adjust it so that the wrench is touching the top and bottom of the bolt (head and threaded tip). I got it looking perfectly straight until I took the upper (front) fairing off and looked on the front of the same stay, so remove them both first.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #12
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Use a tiny drill bit at the end of the cracks first to prevent them from becoming larger cracks.

PS nice shifter taco! #2
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #13
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Just curious how fast you were going to do all that? And also, what kind of tires do you use?

For the cracks, I second the suggestion to drill a hole at the end of the crack. This helps prevent worsening damage from vibrations. You can use ABS cement on the back to help stabilize it.

For broken fairings, surgery is required if you want it done right. Surgery consists of preparing a molded jig to hold it in place, grind out the crack so its about 1/8" wide, fill with JB Weld, sand and paint. Not for the squeamish.

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This may be a little late, but here are a couple of threads and video of some very successful plastic repair jobs.

http://www.ninja250forum.com/index.p...93.0;msg=30976
http://www.ninja250forum.com/index.p...6&topic=4143.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOg6H4ZxZRQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqkFC...eature=related
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalk View Post
aaaand my gear shifter for laughs (I'll probably end up buying a new one of these if bending it in a vice doesn't work)

My shifter bent in exactly the same way last Wednesday. See the last pic in my post.

Someone bent it half-way back, so it was possible to [awkwardly] shift so I could ride home after it happened. I then took it to the local motorcycle garage. The mechanic heated it up and bent it the rest of the way. It still looks a bit twisted, but it works just fine.

Good luck with yours.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote