Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old May 10th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Kid crashes and doesn't even sweat it

Link to original page on YouTube.

20 mins, so a long watch for our ADHD-filled contemporary internet, but it's worth watching. You don't get to see the actual crash, but you get to see something even rarer: A responsible person on a Hayabusa! :0

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old May 11th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #2
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I've known the father in this video personally since 1998, in the Air Force.

It doesn't surprise me that you identified him as "A responsible person on a Hayabusa". He's a very good guy, hard working, fun to be around.

You wouldn't believe the amount of internet video he's made over the years (Google "Nutnfancy"). For a while his videos were focused on personal defense/preparation but it seems that lately he's branched out to other things with videos that are a little more personal/biographical.

So if you you have some time and want to meet "Responsible Hayabusa Rider" a.k.a "Nutnfancy" watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtO3...D5EB8E&index=1
(I just straight-linked this video because I think he's got all his video content set to no-share)
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #3
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Hell yeah I love tnp. I loved his videos on raising kids with guns. This def. isn't the first I've heard of him.

Old May 11th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Kid was not ready: got spooked and used too much, maybe too soon, front brake to slow the bike down.

It is painful to see so much tissue and bone damage in such a young person from an elementary mistake, easily avoidable with more training and study.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #5
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Kid was not ready: got spooked and used too much, maybe too soon, front brake to slow the bike down.

It is painful to see so much tissue and bone damage in such a young person from an elementary mistake, easily avoidable with more training and study.
He was only riding for 3 months and his dad talked about how he was ready for an fz1. If he wrecked on ~65hp why would he be ready for ~120hp? I know he just grabbed too much brake but still.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:08 AM   #6
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
easily avoidable with more training and study.
Are you thinking along the lines of more training off public streets? Like practising controlled, hard braking in an empty parking lot?

I think I should probably have done more training and had more practise off public streets early on. Thinking back, I think I must've just been quite lucky that I didn't come across any really bad drivers or really surprising events. I was out riding on the streets the same day that I was learning how to shift gears, turn and come to a stop.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Are you thinking along the lines of more training off public streets? Like practising controlled, hard braking in an empty parking lot?

I think I should probably have done more training and had more practise off public streets early on. Thinking back, I think I must've just been quite lucky that I didn't come across any really bad drivers or really surprising events. I was out riding on the streets the same day that I was learning how to shift gears, turn and come to a stop.
Yes, Akima; more practicing off streets and more studying of the mental, Physics and traffic phenomena associated to riding motorcycles in public roads.
Those phenomena are very particular of motorcycling and complicate and not learning those exponentially elevates the risk of the rider.

Like each one of us, you were many times more vulnerable than what you believed you were during your first thousands of riding miles.

Copied from:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/MotorcycleIntro4.html

"Remember, two-thirds of all motorcycle accidents happen to beginners, people riding for their first year. After a month or two of riding, it's very easy to get over confident and think you've got this skill mastered. Nothing could be further from the truth. You're not over your danger period for at least a full year or 10,000 miles. Motorcycles are reasonably safe to ride, but very dangerous to learn.

I recommend you take several day long rides, 100 to 300 miles (150 - 500km) in total length. Find some country roads on a map .........., the very best roads are the little twisty ones that go from nowhere to nowhere. The very worst roads are the dead straight interstates. All of your little bad habits like gripping the bars too hard or slouching will quickly tire you out, and you'll have no choice but to start relaxing and driving with good posture. Don't worry about your bike - modern bikes essentially never get flat tires or break down."

Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:39 AM   #8
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
The mental aspect of riding has been the most stimulating for me. I can pick up the bike-control stuff quite quickly and with relative ease. The mental aspect of it is quite new to me and and is the area where I have to work hard and push myself.

Mental stuff like: maintaining concentration and awareness at all times. Assessing risk. Predicting threats that may occur. Letting go of things that have just happened (like minor mistakes and people being assh***s) and being present in the moment. Over-riding social/confidence patterns that I have: on my bike I feel like I should be focusing solely on my ride... no negotiating, no worrying about what people think: just making sure I keep making progress while staying safe and not putting anyone else in danger: nothing more or less than that.

When I was very new to riding, I lacked most of the above.

I expect that responsible firearm owners and people who have lots of experience flying planes would have already developed many of those mental attributes.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:12 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Fear is a powerful feeling, and the reactions associated to fear are extremely hard to control.

Our natural fears and reactions are very distant from the reactions that are appropriate to keep control of a motorcycle in a complicate or scary situation.
Understanding that fact and learning to react against our nature takes perseverance and practice.

I believe that no couch or trainer can decide when a new rider is ready or unlikely to panic and react in a total inappropriate way, like shown in the OP video.
That marginal degree of readiness is something very personal and each person reaches it at a different time.
That is the reason for which I oppose to any way of newbie's training that imposes some type of pressure, such like group riding or irresponsible "that-is-all-you-need-to-know" couching.

Every person honestly interested in motorcycling deserves an exquisite education, practical and theoretical.
We are enthusiast riders sharing the road with a majority of persons that may be enthusiast about other things of life, but that cannot care less about how well or bad they drive their cars and trucks.

At least in USA, we are 2% of road users, while the careless group can be as high as 98%.
Within that group there are persons with mental problems, with excessive emotional stress, battling financial crisis and all sort of distractions.

Having so many factors attempting against our safety while riding public roads, it becomes a huge responsibility to seek, obtain, perform ourselves and to teach new riders the best possible skills and strategies regarding street survival and motorcycling enjoyment.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.