ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 19th, 2023, 04:27 PM   #1
WonkAholical
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dakota

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Scary noises ;(

A couple months ago I got a good deal on my first bike (2009 Ninja 250r SE)
When I purchased the bike there were no issues and it ran great. Yesterday I got on my local interstate for the first time and rode the bike at 70mph for about 10 miles. Upon hitting my exit ramp I geared down and noticed a metallic clanking as I was decelerating through the gears. (Not using either brake) It sounds like metal on metal. Today I noticed it is continuing to make this noise every time I gear down through each gear at approximately 4500 rpm’s. There is no noise upon acceleration and when I pull the clutch in, the noise goes away until I let back off the clutch. I have checked the oil, chain slack, and sprockets. All appear to be in good shape. My bike has 12,000 miles on her. I am not very mechanically inclined yet with motorcycles , however I just purchased a service manual and am ready to get my hands a bit dirty. What should I be looking for ? Is the bike currently safe to ride? Appreciate any genuine help and guidance.
WonkAholical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2023, 04:58 PM   #2
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Hi Dakota, that sounds like a bad noise. Do you have a rear stand for the bike? It would be best to get the back tire up in the air so you could spin the wheel and look for the chain jumping due to misalignment or frozen links.
You could also check your oil for shiny bits (that would suck), but I doubt that's the issue. Inspect everything related to the rotation of the wheels. Look at the brakes and calipers, look for anything hanging off where it doesn't belong.
It's hard to say if it's safe to ride. Best bet is to say no, it's not... until you find out where the noise is coming from.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2023, 05:17 PM   #3
WonkAholical
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Hi Dakota, that sounds like a bad noise. Do you have a rear stand for the bike? It would be best to get the back tire up in the air so you could spin the wheel and look for the chain jumping due to misalignment or frozen links.
You could also check your oil for shiny bits (that would suck), but I doubt that's the issue. Inspect everything related to the rotation of the wheels. Look at the brakes and calipers, look for anything hanging off where it doesn't belong.
It's hard to say if it's safe to ride. Best bet is to say no, it's not... until you find out where the noise is coming from.
Thanks for the reply man! I do not have a stand yet that will be my next purchase! I’ll do an oil change as she’s due for one and check for shavings. The noise I hear is audible when not using the front or rear brake. Wouldn’t that eliminate brakes causing this? ( Not being smart, I truly am ignorant on the subject) Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 19th, 2023, 05:26 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Since you hear it only when downshifting, it has to be something in the drive train, like the chain, or cush drive, or sprocket. The transmission is another one, but I doubt if that's your problem.

Your description makes it seem that it happens only when the rear wheel is driving the engine, which causes the chain to get tight at the bottom and loose at the top. Look around that top stretch of chain and see if the chain is banging on something when the slack is up there. Chain guard maybe?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2023, 05:45 PM   #5
WonkAholical
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Since you hear it only when downshifting, it has to be something in the drive train, like the chain, or cush drive, or sprocket. The transmission is another one, but I doubt if that's your problem.

Your description makes it seem that it happens only when the rear wheel is driving the engine, which causes the chain to get tight at the bottom and loose at the top. Look around that top stretch of chain and see if the chain is banging on something when the slack is up there. Chain guard maybe?
That is correct , it only seems to make the noise when the rear wheel is driving the bike! In neutral or with the clutch pushed in, it makes
No noise even when In gear. My chain most definitely rides the chain guard on the bottom of my frame . A local I talked to said that much slack is normal…looks to be about 3 inches of slack pulling up on the top of the chain, directly where I would sit my butt on the seat….
Thank you for the reply !

Old April 19th, 2023, 06:29 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

3 inches seems like a ton. The how-to says it should be about 1-1/2"

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...chain_slack%3F

Old April 19th, 2023, 07:05 PM   #7
WonkAholical
ninjette.org newbie

Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 19th, 2023, 07:07 PM   #8
WonkAholical
ninjette.org newbie

Correct, my service Manual says about 1.5 inches of play is normal. I just got off work and read that, So now I know where to start!! That manual is surely going to come in handy. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 20th, 2023, 07:19 AM   #9
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
3 inches seems like a ton. The how-to says it should be about 1-1/2"

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...chain_slack%3F
Welp, there's your problem

Old April 20th, 2023, 08:11 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkAholical View Post
A local I talked to said that much slack is normal…
Don't take any more advice that that local.