ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Helping out other riders

I'm a relatively new rider, but jumped right in the whole biker community/camaraderie thing. I love meeting up with other riders and helping them out in any way I can. I've read posts here and there about people helping out stranded bikers or what not, and it's great! We've definitely got to look out for each other cause those cagers seem to have some sort of vendetta out for us on 2 wheels.

It wasn't until recently that I came across a stranded rider. I got to an intersection waiting to make a right turn. Pedestrian was crossing the street and he waved to me. I just nodded to him, but then he turned and showed his helmet hanging from his bag. Cool, another rider! I waved to him while he tried to say something to me. I flipped my visor up just in time to hear that his bike is stranded. I asked him what happened and he said that he lost a bolt which in turn made his drive belt fall off. Fortunately though, he has a spare at home; he just needs to catch a bus. I couldn't really think how I could help but I asked anyway. He asked if he could hitch a ride to the nearest bus stop. I was on my way to dinner, but had no problem taking a 10min detour for a stranded biker. Turns out the bus stop he thought was just down the road was actually like 3 miles away. That hike would have sucked with his bag and gear and in the heat.

Whether you have a funny story or a unique one; whether it was you helping or the one being helped, why not share? Maybe you'll see that person who helped you on here and want to thank them, or want to see if the person you helped got through everything ok. Who knows. Just keeping paying it forward though
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
I'm a relatively new rider, but jumped right in the whole biker community/camaraderie thing. I love meeting up with other riders and helping them out in any way I can. I've read posts here and there about people helping out stranded bikers or what not, and it's great! We've definitely got to look out for each other cause those cagers seem to have some sort of vendetta out for us on 2 wheels.

It wasn't until recently that I came across a stranded rider. I got to an intersection waiting to make a right turn. Pedestrian was crossing the street and he waved to me. I just nodded to him, but then he turned and showed his helmet hanging from his bag. Cool, another rider! I waved to him while he tried to say something to me. I flipped my visor up just in time to hear that his bike is stranded. I asked him what happened and he said that he lost a bolt which in turn made his drive belt fall off. Fortunately though, he has a spare at home; he just needs to catch a bus. I couldn't really think how I could help but I asked anyway. He asked if he could hitch a ride to the nearest bus stop. I was on my way to dinner, but had no problem taking a 10min detour for a stranded biker. Turns out the bus stop he thought was just down the road was actually like 3 miles away. That hike would have sucked with his bag and gear and in the heat.

Whether you have a funny story or a unique one; whether it was you helping or the one being helped, why not share? Maybe you'll see that person who helped you on here and want to thank them, or want to see if the person you helped got through everything ok. Who knows. Just keeping paying it forward though

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

good on you man!
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Kudos to you !!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #6
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I lost the spring to my center stand tooling down the road, which of course dropped the stand. I walked back up the road to see if I could find it with no luck. As soon as I got back to my bike a woman on her bike stopped to see if I was okay. I explained my situation to her and she went through her bags and pulled out a small leather belt/strap that she let me have to tie the stand to my swing arm so I could make it home. Perfect timing too! I was about to use my boot lace.

Another time I was correcting an electronics issue in a parking lot about 100 mi from home. I had the bike all taken apart, fairings off and everything. A man in a truck asked if I needed anything, which I didn't, but it was very nice that he was willing to help me out even in the pouring rain.

I've yet to come across a rider/driver in need of help. Everyone I've stopped for has always had help on the way or hasn't needed it.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

When I crashed, another cyclist came over and helped me and my bike to the other side of the road and stayed with me until all the cops and ambulances showed up to talk to them and made sure I was ok before he went off. That guy was great
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #8
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
When I crashed, another cyclist came over and helped me and my bike to the other side of the road and stayed with me until all the cops and ambulances showed up to talk to them and made sure I was ok before he went off. That guy was great
nice. Just like when i ran out of gas in the middle of NO WHERE a rider came by and went out of his way to buy gas for me. Very cool

Old August 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I kind of have a similar story. On my way home from town one day I passed a Harley guy and his friend on the side of the road looking at their bike. I pulled over and parked my bike then went up to ask if there was anything I could do to help They thanked me but said that they already had friends coming to pick them up so I left after wishing them well.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #10
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
I kind of have a similar story. On my way home from town one day I passed a Harley guy and his friend on the side of the road looking at their bike. I pulled over and parked my bike then went up to ask if there was anything I could do to help They thanked me but said that they already had friends coming to pick them up so I left after wishing them well.

I try and make sure to keep an eye out for riders stopped on the side of the highway. Not really some place I'd want to be stuck either.

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Years ago, when I wrecked my first ninjette, a very nice couple picked me up and took me to the hospital. They weren't from the area and had just randomly noticed where the hospital was as they were driving around the night before. I was grateful they helped me.

Few weeks ago my buddy and I were heading up the highway when we noticed stuff coming off the bike in front of us. First we thought nothing (thinking it a hat or something minor) but then more stuff came flying at us. Literally looked like her front tire was disintegrating. We signaled for her to pull over and found her tail bag had slipped and was being chewed up by the rear tire. Thing was almost gone.

Also, anytime I'm out on a road trip with my dad it seems we run into someone who needs help. A biker making a cross country trip (out of gas), truck with a flat tire, another car out of gas, but the worst was we were about two minutes behind a car flipping off the road and rolling out into the desert. Driver was banged up but her little puppy didn't make it. :-(

We do need to look out for each other, never know when it'll be you who needs a hand.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #12
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

First time I crashed my Ninjette I was out in the backroads. One guy stopped, pulled into a wooded area (doing meth, I'm assuming), then about 10 minutes later came out and asked if I was okay.

First time I crashed my CB, it was about 50 ft away from a few cops that had responded to an accident (long story). They came rushing over and checked if I was okay and if I needed a tow or to go to the hospital. Sadly I had to decline because I had no health insurance at the time, and kinda glad they didn't check my paperwork because all of my paperwork was with my mom who was at the DMV getting it all squared away while I was at class.

My most recent incident is probably the most infuriating. It was Sunday at about 4pm, and I managed to run out of gas about a mile away from the exit I planned on taking to fill up. I waited on the side of the freeway for about 30 minutes hoping someone would stop, because it was a mile and a half push uphill, then another mile to the gas station. My bike is about 500lbs, and has pretty low bars. It was damn exhausting pushing it uphill in the hot sun. Saw about fifty riders pass, NOBODY stopped or even made eye contact with me. There was actually a car that had pulled over about 100 ft back from me while I was resting for a second. They left about five minutes later, checking a map or something I'm assuming. After finally getting off the freeway, it was still a long way to the gas station, and I had to wait at about five stop lights. All of those stop lights had a long line of cars, and NOBODY bothered to ask if I needed some assistance. Passed about ten riders. Very frustrating to see how rude people can be nowadays.

I ALWAYS stop for a stranded rider. I'll stop for a stranded motorist if time permits or if I have the means to help.

Old August 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #13
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
...My most recent incident is probably the most infuriating. It was Sunday at about 4pm, and I managed to run out of gas about a mile away from the exit I planned on taking to fill up. I waited on the side of the freeway for about 30 minutes hoping someone would stop, because it was a mile and a half push uphill, then another mile to the gas station. My bike is about 500lbs, and has pretty low bars. It was damn exhausting pushing it uphill in the hot sun. Saw about fifty riders pass, NOBODY stopped or even made eye contact with me. There was actually a car that had pulled over about 100 ft back from me while I was resting for a second. They left about five minutes later, checking a map or something I'm assuming. After finally getting off the freeway, it was still a long way to the gas station, and I had to wait at about five stop lights. All of those stop lights had a long line of cars, and NOBODY bothered to ask if I needed some assistance. Passed about ten riders. Very frustrating to see how rude people can be nowadays...
Dam man. I'd be pissed too. Are riders just like this out in hawaii? Or just a very unlucky day

Old August 30th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #14
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
First time I crashed my Ninjette I was out in the backroads. One guy stopped, pulled into a wooded area (doing meth, I'm assuming), then about 10 minutes later came out and asked if I was okay.

First time I crashed my CB, it was about 50 ft away from a few cops that had responded to an accident (long story). They came rushing over and checked if I was okay and if I needed a tow or to go to the hospital. Sadly I had to decline because I had no health insurance at the time, and kinda glad they didn't check my paperwork because all of my paperwork was with my mom who was at the DMV getting it all squared away while I was at class.

My most recent incident is probably the most infuriating. It was Sunday at about 4pm, and I managed to run out of gas about a mile away from the exit I planned on taking to fill up. I waited on the side of the freeway for about 30 minutes hoping someone would stop, because it was a mile and a half push uphill, then another mile to the gas station. My bike is about 500lbs, and has pretty low bars. It was damn exhausting pushing it uphill in the hot sun. Saw about fifty riders pass, NOBODY stopped or even made eye contact with me. There was actually a car that had pulled over about 100 ft back from me while I was resting for a second. They left about five minutes later, checking a map or something I'm assuming. After finally getting off the freeway, it was still a long way to the gas station, and I had to wait at about five stop lights. All of those stop lights had a long line of cars, and NOBODY bothered to ask if I needed some assistance. Passed about ten riders. Very frustrating to see how rude people can be nowadays.

I ALWAYS stop for a stranded rider. I'll stop for a stranded motorist if time permits or if I have the means to help.
Totally sucks. Just remember the best way to get revenge would be to help out the next stranded rider you see, and tell them this story. That way word will get around and folks(riders) won't be passing by not giving a damn.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

broil: It's pretty much par for the course. Pretty much only have the typical harley riders, dbag chopper riders, local sportbike riders that think they're badass, and commuters. Not too many chill riders like you'd find on Ninjette, except of course the ones here on Ninjette.

steve: Heh, I've actually told the story like five times already. It has a little more impact if you know the area, because you know how long the uphill is.

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I passed a harley guy on the side of the interstate on-ramp; his bike was parked and he was standing at the bottom of the incline in the grass. I would have stopped to ask him if he needed help or what-not, but I had to get to class and my teacher is anal about people coming in late.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

back when i built my first 250 i had been riding it for about 4 months and it was my bday, i got my friends to watch my kids and finally talked my wife into getting on the back. so we ride around the hood and i hit this back road, once i get to a stop sign the bike dies. (i had to rebuild the carbs 11 times and never got it right long story) anyways a guy on a bike just happened to ride by and stop, he was the first biker i had talked to / met. he got little jumper cables out and tried to jump my bike off, then called his friend to bring gas after i told him it was a carb problem. but his friend came out with gas and everything, i made him take some cash for the gas, got his number and sent him on his way. i ended up hooking a tow strap to the handle bars and riding it home while my brother pulled it in his car 0_0 super scary. i ended up calling the guy that helped me later on and getting carbs, mirrors, airbox, and every bolt that came on a ninja for 30$.

i dont know how many of you carry weapons while you ride, to those of you that dont ill tell you what happened to my dad.

to start things off im Mexican and Irish my dad is Mexican and born here in Tennessee, this is relevant to the story.

ok so about 15 years ago my dad was driving a main street here in south nashville when he saw a car with the hood up and the hazard lights blinking right off the main road on a side road. my dad has ALWAYS helped any one he could no matter what the cost to him, so he stops to ask them if they need help. they have him look under the hood of the car and as he does everything starts to flash, as one of the 4 white men stab a knife into his spinal cord at the base of his neck. he spins around with a pocket knife and tries to fight them of slitting one of their necks but not deep enough to kill them, they take turns stabbing him 17 times. twice through the heart, once through each lung, once in the eye, once in the nose, 3 times in the skull, tried to sever his spinal chord at the neck, etc... after they left him for dead he crawled a quarter mile up to the main road with one of his eyes hanging out of its socket. my cousin happened to find him while on patrol (he is a metro cop). he ended up surviving all tho he is crippled for life and the people who did it where arrested and caught on tape saying "we are going to go out tonight and kill us a wetback" that being said they only served 4 years each... if it was some Mexicans saying they where going to go out and kill a güero they would have all seen the chair. and to make things even worse, turns out these guys went to high school with my dad and didnt recognize him...

so what im saying is there are some sickos out there so be careful, i stop to help any one i can, but i have a xdm 40 compact on my waist and a tcp 380 on my ankle

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #18
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
back when i built my first 250 i had been riding it for about 4 months and it was my bday, i got my friends to watch my kids and finally talked my wife into getting on the back. so we ride around the hood and i hit this back road, once i get to a stop sign the bike dies. (i had to rebuild the carbs 11 times and never got it right long story) anyways a guy on a bike just happened to ride by and stop, he was the first biker i had talked to / met. he got little jumper cables out and tried to jump my bike off, then called his friend to bring gas after i told him it was a carb problem. but his friend came out with gas and everything, i made him take some cash for the gas, got his number and sent him on his way. i ended up hooking a tow strap to the handle bars and riding it home while my brother pulled it in his car 0_0 super scary. i ended up calling the guy that helped me later on and getting carbs, mirrors, airbox, and every bolt that came on a ninja for 30$.

i dont know how many of you carry weapons while you ride, to those of you that dont ill tell you what happened to my dad.

to start things off im Mexican and Irish my dad is Mexican and born here in Tennessee, this is relevant to the story.

ok so about 15 years ago my dad was driving a main street here in south nashville when he saw a car with the hood up and the hazard lights blinking right off the main road on a side road. my dad has ALWAYS helped any one he could no matter what the cost to him, so he stops to ask them if they need help. they have him look under the hood of the car and as he does everything starts to flash, as one of the 4 white men stab a knife into his spinal cord at the base of his neck. he spins around with a pocket knife and tries to fight them of slitting one of their necks but not deep enough to kill them, they take turns stabbing him 17 times. twice through the heart, once through each lung, once in the eye, once in the nose, 3 times in the skull, tried to sever his spinal chord at the neck, etc... after they left him for dead he crawled a quarter mile up to the main road with one of his eyes hanging out of its socket. my cousin happened to find him while on patrol (he is a metro cop). he ended up surviving all tho he is crippled for life and the people who did it where arrested and caught on tape saying "we are going to go out tonight and kill us a wetback" that being said they only served 4 years each... if it was some Mexicans saying they where going to go out and kill a güero they would have all seen the chair. and to make things even worse, turns out these guys went to high school with my dad and didnt recognize him...

so what im saying is there are some sickos out there so be careful, i stop to help any one i can, but i have a xdm 40 compact on my waist and a tcp 380 on my ankle
That is a crazy story! I'm sorry about your dad but am glad that he made it through that horrible experience. I don't carry weapons with me nor have I ever even thought about it. I remember couple years back when people would get robbed by gunpoint up in GMR and get their motorcycles/cars stolen. That sucks. There are crazy ass people out there so be safe guys. Other riders, I would help out but if its a group of people in a car, I don't think I would stop.. especially being a minority If i ever get into some crap, I just hope they don't have any weapons or not outnumbered. But if its just one guy trying to beat me up, I can handle myself. thank God for jiu jitsu and muay thai unless they're better than me then I will just surrender

Old August 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM   #19
uncle hilty
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250r, '72 Honda 350

Wow Lupe thats a f-ed up storey! Your dad must be one tough SOB. So i had been following this thread and yesterday i snuck out of work early and took a little ride on my old bike (72 honda CL 350). She runs great but at 40 yrs old rides are always an adventure! She stalled out at a light, which she never does, and then stalled again at the bottom of a hill about a mile later. I had checked the gas before i left and there looked like a quarter tank, so no worries. I hadnt gone that far so i didnt even think it was out of gas, thought it was a carb problem. Anyway sitting at the bottom of the hill and a guy on a Harley pulls up asked if i needed help. Coudlnt have been nicer. We fiddled around and he said check the gas Duh! and it was bone dry. He offered to go back to his house and get a gas can, but i sent him on his was as therre was a station a few blocks away. I hope i can help some troubled rider in the future to pay it forward.
uncle hilty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:02 AM   #20
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Riding to Sturgis back in 1993, saw a really young rider with a gigantic harley stranded on the side of the road. Pulled off to see if I could help. He broke something in the engine. I rode a few miles into the next town, found a guy with a pickup, and went back for him and his bike. It was getting late, so we went and got rooms at a hotel. About 10:30pm we push his bike into the middle of the his hotel room, and I started pulling the motor apart. Lifter seized, and wreaked havoc inside the top end. About 12pm a friend of his shows up with a complete head off a identical engine wanting to know if I can fix it. The three of us rebuilt his motor in a hotel room that night, and had him up and running by 8am next morning.

Saw a sport bike rider on the side of the road a couple of years ago, he said it died and would not start back up. He didn't seem interested in getting any help, and was one of those know-it-all fellows that didnt know anything but how to twist the throttle. I told him I knew what was wrong, and that I could have him back up and running in 5 seconds if he would let me help. He said NO, I got it.....ok, so I left. I still wonder how long it took him to figure out that his kill switch was on.

Moral of the story...
If you are ever stranded on the side of the road, don't be an ass.
If you ever see someone stranded on the side of the road, don't be an ass.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:20 PM   #21
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Riding to Sturgis back in 1993, saw a really young rider with a gigantic harley stranded on the side of the road. Pulled off to see if I could help. He broke something in the engine. I rode a few miles into the next town, found a guy with a pickup, and went back for him and his bike. It was getting late, so we went and got rooms at a hotel. About 10:30pm we push his bike into the middle of the his hotel room, and I started pulling the motor apart. Lifter seized, and wreaked havoc inside the top end. About 12pm a friend of his shows up with a complete head off a identical engine wanting to know if I can fix it. The three of us rebuilt his motor in a hotel room that night, and had him up and running by 8am next morning.

Saw a sport bike rider on the side of the road a couple of years ago, he said it died and would not start back up. He didn't seem interested in getting any help, and was one of those know-it-all fellows that didnt know anything but how to twist the throttle. I told him I knew what was wrong, and that I could have him back up and running in 5 seconds if he would let me help. He said NO, I got it.....ok, so I left. I still wonder how long it took him to figure out that his kill switch was on.

Moral of the story...
If you are ever stranded on the side of the road, don't be an ass.
If you ever see someone stranded on the side of the road, don't be an ass.

Found it kinda funny you pulled that bike in the hotel room and worked on it. hah

Old September 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #22
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Shoot yeah...it was Texas, and hot outside. Im working in the A/C.
I still bring my bikes inside the house to work on them. Nothing like oil changes in a nice air-conditioned living room.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

There is definitely a loose brotherhood of riders looking out for each other.

In San Diego I witnessed a car veer across the freeway, hit the median, and flip. I was commuting home from work on my bike and was the first to stop. By the time I got across the freeway to the car, about 6 other bikes had stopped, probably assuming that a bike was involved!

Thanks, guys, but of course I was fine! The lady in the car was who you needed to worry about (she was fine too).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote