ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 27th, 2023, 01:37 PM   #1
ACL 9000
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2005 EX250, 1975 Suzuki T500, 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Question Blinker repair and kickstand confusion

Years ago, I was told by a dealership mechanic that the kickstand was broken somehow and something would have to be welded. He handed me a bolt I've since lost and said don't use the kickstand.

So I've been using the center only for a long time, but I want that kickstand back.

It will rotate when the bike rests on it. The stand goes forward and up. The thing itself looks like it should be secured by two bolts, but there is only one, which also secures the lower fairing stay.

When I check the drawings I can find no missing parts; they don't show two bolts in use. Not sure how the thing is really supposed to be, so I can't tell what's wrong.

Finally: an idiot friend of mine crashed the bike once and broke the right front blinker. Just today I got a pair of hugely overpriced replacements from ebay. They're the 2008+ kind, and one has a crack in the flexy plastic, right where it attaches to the mount.

What would be the best method for fixing the crack? I was thinking I would just epoxy it, but if there's an adhesive specifically intended for this type of plastic I'd love to know about it.
ACL 9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2023, 06:55 AM   #2
ACL 9000
ninjette.org member

Question I need kickstand and blinker repair advice

I tried to post this the other day and I can’t find it now, so I hope I’m not just being stupid and annoying.

Anyway, years ago I was told by a dealership mechanic that the kickstand on my ‘05 was broken. He said a boss was missing and I needed it welded. For years I’ve just been using the center stand.

I have looked at the drawings and I can’t find any missing parts, so I presume something is actually broken like the guy said. I can’t really tell what’s wrong, though. It’s affixed with one bolt that also secures the lower fairing stay, and when I rest the bike on it, it will rotate forward and up. There’s a hole ahead of that one, but the drawings don’t show what it’s for and I don’t think there are any threads in there.

What should be preventing the thing from flopping around the way it does?

Also: An idiot I let ride the bike crashed it and broke a blinker, so I bought the only massively-overpriced pair I could find. They got here and one is cracked. I figure these must still be usable if I can brace that up.

Does anyone know what kind of plastic that is? If it’s the kind of plastic that you can basically weld back together with a little bit of the right solvent I’d be very happy. Otherwise, what do you think is the best way to go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9DF245AC-FCC3-443D-B74A-E9D3BA274086.jpg (70.6 KB, 4 views)

Old March 29th, 2023, 09:18 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2023, 05:20 PM   #4
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL 9000 View Post
I tried to post this the other day and I can’t find it now, so I hope I’m not just being stupid and annoying.

Anyway, years ago I was told by a dealership mechanic that the kickstand on my ‘05 was broken. He said a boss was missing and I needed it welded. For years I’ve just been using the center stand.

I have looked at the drawings and I can’t find any missing parts, so I presume something is actually broken like the guy said. I can’t really tell what’s wrong, though. It’s affixed with one bolt that also secures the lower fairing stay, and when I rest the bike on it, it will rotate forward and up. There’s a hole ahead of that one, but the drawings don’t show what it’s for and I don’t think there are any threads in there.

What should be preventing the thing from flopping around the way it does?

Also: An idiot I let ride the bike crashed it and broke a blinker, so I bought the only massively-overpriced pair I could find. They got here and one is cracked. I figure these must still be usable if I can brace that up.

Does anyone know what kind of plastic that is? If it’s the kind of plastic that you can basically weld back together with a little bit of the right solvent I’d be very happy. Otherwise, what do you think is the best way to go?

When I had the factory blinkers I had good results with first using a plastic welder to set some metal across the cracks. Snip the ends off the metal staple. Then back fill with jb weld. You can sand and paint after.

Without the metal staples I found the jb weld would crack.

Something like this for a welder:
Wrdlosy Plastic Welder, 600PCS Staples, Plastic Welding Kit, Must Have For DIYers, Instant On/Off, Plastic Welder Kit, Bumper Repair Kit Plastic Repair Kit, Portable Toolbox, Hot Stapler https://a.co/d/7PPkK6x

Plastic welder works great for fairing cracks, just use lite slow pressure or you will quickly push the staple through the painted side.
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2023, 06:10 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Are you missing spring for kickstand?
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...7906cc/stand-s
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2024, 11:05 AM   #6
ACL 9000
ninjette.org member

Sorry I'm such a crap member. I go long periods of time between checking the forum, no reason why. I've owned the bike since 2013 and this place has always been invaluable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer View Post
Plastic welder works great for fairing cracks, just use lite slow pressure or you will quickly push the staple through the painted side.
Ultimately, what I did was buy more blinkers, this time the rigid ones that originally came equipped on my model year, and that nightmare is over.

i have to repair the plastics and I want to change the paint scheme (to 1994 ZX7 purple/pink colorway), and I have a good flushmount idea for when I do that

Which is why I'm glad you introduced me to plastic welding. That will really help me stitch the body back together so it's correct before paint and decals go on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Are you missing spring for kickstand?
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...7906cc/stand-s
I am not. I'm genuinely ignorant of what is actually wrong with the thing. This recent post — https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=408161 — is likely describing the exact same phenomenon. So I guess I may buy a welder (been meaning to for a long time) and zip it back together the way he illustrated.

I still haven't figured out the blinkers, but the bike had a rough end to the season, last year, and dumped all its coolant out, and that combined with a lot of little problems I've noticed — some since 2013, I'm embarrassed to admit — set me on a path to partially overhauling the thing.

It has new tires as of last year, and in a couple weeks I'll have rebuilt the calipers and swapped to stainless lines, replaced a lot of rubber hoses all over the thing, installed a Thermo-Bob, upgraded the fork internals, and a small list of other things.

While I have it apart and I'm doing all the jobs I'll fix my grip heaters. They were the cheapest ones I could find a decade ago and they had a terrible resistor that fell off, and I basically don't recognize the wiring anymore, and I suspect that has something to do with the rapid blinking. Once I fix or completely remove all of that I'll report back whether it worked.

I love this little bike. I had CBR600RR that I sold and a FZ-07 I crashed, and I have a Z900RS now, but I still ride the Ninja more, and I don't think I'll ever give it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9233.jpg (230.8 KB, 2 views)

Old March 20th, 2024, 12:29 AM   #7
Hogges
ninjette.org member

Name: Wolfgang

Motorcycle(s): R1200GS, DR200SE, Ninja EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL 9000 View Post
Sorry I'm such a crap member. I go long periods of time between checking the forum, no reason why. I've owned the bike since 2013 and this place has always been invaluable.Ultimately, what I did was buy more blinkers, this time the rigid ones that originally came equipped on my model year, and that nightmare is over.

i have to repair the plastics and I want to change the paint scheme (to 1994 ZX7 purple/pink colorway), and I have a good flushmount idea for when I do that

Which is why I'm glad you introduced me to plastic welding. That will really help me stitch the body back together so it's correct before paint and decals go on.I am not. I'm genuinely ignorant of what is actually wrong with the thing. This recent post — https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=408161 — is likely describing the exact same phenomenon. So I guess I may buy a welder (been meaning to for a long time) and zip it back together the way he illustrated.

I still haven't figured out the blinkers, but the bike had a rough end to the season, last year, and dumped all its coolant out, and that combined with a lot of little problems I've noticed — some since 2013, I'm embarrassed to admit — set me on a path to partially overhauling the thing.

It has new tires as of last year, and in a couple weeks I'll have rebuilt the calipers and swapped to stainless lines, replaced a lot of rubber hoses all over the thing, installed a Thermo-Bob, upgraded the fork internals, and a small list of other things.

While I have it apart and I'm doing all the jobs I'll fix my grip heaters. They were the cheapest ones I could find a decade ago and they had a terrible resistor that fell off, and I basically don't recognize the wiring anymore, and I suspect that has something to do with the rapid blinking. Once I fix or completely remove all of that I'll report back whether it worked.

I love this little bike. I had CBR600RR that I sold and a FZ-07 I crashed, and I have a Z900RS now, but I still ride the Ninja more, and I don't think I'll ever give it up.
Great looking bike. I have two Ninja 300s but the 250s look way cooler as far as I am concerned. Good luck with the overhaul.
Hogges is offline   Reply With Quote