ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 17th, 2023, 03:54 PM   #1
ZackTheReaper
ninjette.org member

Name: Zackary

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Ninja 250r dying on throttle after carb rebuild

Last futzed with by ZackTheReaper; May 21st, 2023 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Didn’t mean to make another thread
ZackTheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2023, 05:46 PM   #2
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

IF you got everything clean you probably set the fuel/air screws to factory specks.... right ? well it's been my experience that the factory specks for the air screws under the carb are way, Way off.... put them at 2.5 turns out and see if that helps !!!!
..... it did on my 2012 !
( I think mine reside at 3.25 to 3.5 turns out right now!) and it runs fairly decent at the moment.

Bob......

Old May 21st, 2023, 08:25 PM   #3
ZackTheReaper
ninjette.org member

Alright sweet! I have it at 2 turns right now I believe. I will adjust tomorrow and see how it goes!

Old May 22nd, 2023, 12:06 AM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

no guarentees ! but it worked for me !
I had to do several things to get the bike to take throttle again it was unreal !
you wouldn't think cleaning the carbs would do that but..... well, there ya have it ! I had to shim the needles reduce main jet size and pray alot and then opened up the idle air screws a bit and if finally started running decent again
it's still not perfect but it is rideable now ...it wasn't after the cleaning !
Bob.

Old May 24th, 2023, 03:31 PM   #5
ZackTheReaper
ninjette.org member

Unhappy

I adjusted my idle to screws and got it idle at about 1800. But it still bogs at around 9k rpms. I still haven’t synced my carbs yet. Would the carbs be the reason it it’s bogging or is there another reason? I rebuilds the carbs and have pull it out 3 times now. Everything is clean and in the right spot. It’s makes like WWWAAAAAA sound as I get it up 9k and then it will slowing accelerate past but it’s stutters. I think it’s running lean but I’m not sure. Anything helps🙏🏻

Old May 24th, 2023, 05:08 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I would say YES sync the carbs it may well cure the 9K RPM flat spot.... and make sure the bike is warm when testing it these things are cold blooded and need to be warm !
same problem I was having ( might still have ) and all I did was have the carbs professionally cleaned sense I didn't like the idea of having to do it 3 times like I did last time..... this time they are very clean of that I am sure!
My bike was bogging at 5~6000 RPM.... a big flat spot in the RPM Range we discussed it
at length and decided to add 2 shims under the needles as well as lean it out a tad because it was too rich... so we put in 95 main jets.... I doubt that changed anything personally.... ( too small a change from 98 to 95 !) but the shims did seem to change it alot.... when the bike warms up it runs great but when cold it still has a slight bogg around 5~6000 RPM once it is warm it doesn't bogg at all...
you might try one shim under the needles and see if the bogg your getting at 9k RPM goes away as a shim will make it richer !
..... that's my guess I haven't ridden the Ninja yet as I can't find all the bolts now ! AURGH!!!!!
but I did take it out of the shop and she is ready for a run on the street without the fairings on it....
I think the reason this problem croped up was because of the aftermarket exhaust muffler that the previous owner put on it.... it's always ran rich judging by the plug color.... but at other ranges of RPM it felt very lean.... but the Shims seamed to have cured that..... how it ran before I have no idea.
it doesn't make any sense to clean the carbs and have this problem crop up !!!
but it is what it is ! live and learn I guess !!!
Bob.......

Old May 25th, 2023, 11:47 AM   #7
ZackTheReaper
ninjette.org member

That’s perfect! I definitely have a fat fake youshimura exhaust on there. That’s how I bought it from my friend. I think the shimming will definitely help! I appreciate it Bob! I’m going to go pick up some gauges today. I’ll get back to you after I have some time to get some work done on her! Best of luck finding those bolts man! We should be both back out riding again like normal here soon🙏🏻